i atended second nature taxidermy school

Submitted by ric bourn on 2/5/06 at 1:48 AM. ( ricoutdoors@verizon.net ) 69.144.5.53

just wanted to say thanks to bill and terry dishman. great school and alot of fun learning the art of taxidermy i purchased videos and wasted time and money. then i went there with some basics skills and after four weeks completed everything and did some extra things they have an open door policy. so go early or stay late work at your pace and they will be there to show you the short cut and any of the best kept secerts in taxidermy. i checked out alot of schools and if you want someone who cares about you and your outcome then it bill and terry hands down so after 4 weeks of coffee, music, fun times, glued finger, and you nneed to be there to understand this "lovea lovea loveayou wanta giveayou a big kiss" thanks a friend always ric

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu

4 weeks

This response submitted by tony Talamantes on 2/5/06 at 2:16 AM. ( tonytls68@yahoo.com ) 216.16.95.118

4 weeks good luck amigo you need more time to learn short cuts. theres no short cuts on taxidermy and you will foud the best secret on taxidermy. take you time .

Ric..

This response submitted by Bill on 2/5/06 at 7:39 AM. ( ) 207.200.116.197

you oughta send pics of some of your mounts to Tony tamale, so he can see what somebody with a little talent and natural ability can do. Some people figure that if they cant grasp something in a reasonable amount of time, then no one can.

OK, here we go again. Ric, you gotta a LOT more to learn

This response submitted by George on 2/5/06 at 10:14 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.12

If you "wasted time and money" on videos, then you weren't very studious. And if ANY school ever was capable of teaching ANYONE any "best kept secerts in taxidermy", I'll my damned shorts. That's the dumbest thing you could ever say. I'm glad you liked the "school", but after 48 years of being a taxidermist, I know 4 weeks at any price is far short of what a "school" can do for an individual. "Schools" do best when they have dozens of professionals doing things and various ways. There'll always be more than one way to skin a cat and single teachers seldom offer multiple explanations. Every week on this site we hear about new "schools" and how great they are. Do you realize the J.W. Elwood introduced hundreds of thousands of people to taxidermy and any of us, which is a whole helluva lot of us, learned all the basics from reading half a dozen poorly printed and poorly illustrated pamphlets? And not a single thing in there was a "secret". We just hadn't learned it yet.

And in case any of you haven't guessed, to coin Ric's comments, in my opinion "schools" are a waste of time and money.....unless of course, you have a gasoline ass.

Ahh George

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 2/5/06 at 4:58 PM. ( J32a@aol.com ) 152.163.100.12

Schools aren't bad even if you don't have a gasoline ass. But anyone thinking they can do it all right out of school without any other help are sure to screw something up at some point. Once the person leaves school and realizes they need to try other techniques to find what works well or better for them then the possibilities are endless.

I am sure and I know what ric feels, I have been there.. but the feeling of doing it himself without the watchful eye of someone will make him even more excited. If not for this site and videos and Breakthrough after school I would have gone crazy on my first solo attempt.

You should see the latest attempt I made at a LMbass. You will soon, but man I am upset with the results. At least I know I need to figure out another way to do it, Or need to practice on some more before doing one like this for a customer.

I forgot to spell check or proof read that, I am soory

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 2/5/06 at 5:00 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.12

I hit the da^& button to fast

gasoline ass

This response submitted by tom on 2/6/06 at 7:24 AM. ( ) 204.11.87.103

i still like that line. ha ha i have to disagree with you on your view of schools. id have to say that it saved me alot of lumps.if you have a good teacher its well worth the money.mine preached that his wasnt the only way .i will agree that it was a wake up call doing things with out someone there to give me advice but i think im much further ahead of the game now then if i had done it on my own.

Think what you want to think!

This response submitted by Chad on 2/10/06 at 2:03 PM. ( ) 207.69.137.36

I am going to school sometime. I have been in this feild for three years now. In my first year I had accomplished a customer list of 41. I never had any training, not professional anyways. I have learned this on my own. With some tips from more expereinced taxidermists out there. But the schools are not just for the mount aspect but teaching business practices as well. Am I right? That is what some of their literature claims. I want to be a great taxidermist, but also an edgy, creative, successful business man. I have three schools in mind. Whether you think schools are a waste of time or not if someone is driven to succeed and learns much from schools then it does not matter how much was paid to earn that education it is priceless in the long run. I agree with Tom.

business course

This response submitted by Scott on 2/11/06 at 8:42 AM. ( ) 216.222.224.196

Chad:
If you want to take a business course, then take one, but don't rely on a taxidermy school course to do the job for you. Their focus is taxidermy not business. The schools know that the sutdents are looking for this course in their program so it is offered. Look at the number of hours that are dedicated to the business course. Maybe "8". However, the Pennnsylvania Institute of Taxidermy did teach a real business course. I believe that it was around a week. It was the same course that the president of the school regularly taught to other business people outside the taxidermy institute.

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu