Is this a deal or what?

Submitted by Chad on 2/25/06 at 9:14 PM. ( chad@waterworldtaxidermy.com ) 64.24.197.99

I was just told today of a guy wanting a taxidermists to mount his african species. He is willing to pay for the schooling for someone as long as they mount all his african game for free. Now is that a deal? I do not think so, but maybe I am wrong. African game forms and materials can be costly right? In my opinion I think that it would just be better to pay for his mounts as usual. Because if he pays $10,000 for taxidermy training and he comes home with 11 african species and you end up paying that much for the materials, supplies and labor hell you may as well just consider paying for the school yourself. Any thoughts?

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu

it's better

This response submitted by Mr.T on 2/25/06 at 11:28 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.20

it's better to be in dept to yourself, than to someone else. You will sleep better at night.

I can see it now

This response submitted by Ed on 2/26/06 at 8:05 AM. ( mountianed@earthlink.net ) 4.233.140.73

" I payed good money up front , my mounts should come first","next year....." . No... , You sill owe me....". Without a VERY specific contract in writeing,You would be nothing more than an indentured servant!And leave youre self wide open for a nasty court battle in the future. Bad! Bad! Bad!

Paid schooling

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 2/26/06 at 8:23 AM. ( ) 66.207.230.62

Yeas and what if he says he isn't satisfied with themounts?

Can I get?

This response submitted by Trapper on 2/26/06 at 9:39 AM. ( ) 67.149.234.213

Can I get a Masters Degree in Taxidermy? IF so, is it a 4 year or a 6 year degree?
The University of Hawaii might offer a course....then there is food, housing, etc...of course who would go into business without at least an 'Associates' in what else "business"... Boy learning never ends does it?

What's this guys number?

Chad

This response submitted by Jim on 2/26/06 at 10:33 AM. ( ) 206.183.121.53

If you read between the lines, this guy thinks it would be cheaper to pay for someones taxidermy training than to pay for the mounts outright. He probably didn't consider the fact that the "student" might not be any good at african game even after the training. Then where would you be? If he is willing to pay all that $$$ to the outfitter, why would he want to save a bunch of money on the taxidermy work? Say's alot about the guys character, don't you think? I'd run the other way!

That is what I am saying!

This response submitted by Chad on 2/26/06 at 12:39 PM. ( ) 64.24.197.55

It to me sounds just like what you all say. Cheap skate only in nicer words! I will tell him the only possible way to work that type of deal is pay for the schooling, pay for all materials and figure out a happy medium such as 45 to 75% of your actual labor instaed of 100% plus throw in the fact that he is to bring you the taxidermist several african species for yourself. POINT BLANK, or NO DEAL!

I disagree

This response submitted by fred on 2/26/06 at 5:47 PM. ( ) 207.191.54.1

If you have the time and would like to learn taxidermy that would be a wonderful chance to learn. not only do you get some great experience but you also have what sounds to be a petty wealthy customer when you get out of school. So what if you have to do a few free ones, at least he offered you somthing, wait and see how much family and friends want to pay you right out of school,all I am saying is if you have the money do it yourself if you dont it may be a great chance to get your feet wet. Good Luck

Maybe, but not African game

This response submitted by Kristi on 2/27/06 at 4:38 PM. ( ) 144.9.8.21

I'd never consider that type of arrangement doing african game, they're too costly to replace. That sounds a little ambitious to do, right out of the chute.

If a guy made the same deal for me to mount his whitetail and bass for the next few years, yeah, I'd consider it. It would be a good deal for me and him. If I did a good job for him, I'd win him as a customer later. OF COURSE, you'd want to get it in writing... terms and conditions and stuff, but I'd think it could be done.

I agree with Fred , Kristi & Ed

This response submitted by Jim's Wildlife Studio on 3/27/06 at 1:25 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.137

Chad, This would be an experience for you that you may never get again. If the set up is done write by a binding contract. You will be surprised what a good taxidermy course cost, not to metion housing and expense's. I been in this industry for 23 year's and operate in Eastern PA. I have only every mounted 35 African animal's. Your average hunter may only take 6 animal's at a time. And if you do this deal you are going to be mounting animal's for a long time to pay off your debt. Also African game is the most difficult to mount, they are very hard to keep your stiches from opening with out the experience. Good Luck on your decission

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu