help learing onmy on !

Submitted by wolf on 5/25/06 at 11:58 PM. ( rfranklin@centurytel.net ) 69.29.24.48

I WANT TO LEARN HOW TO DO TAXIDERMY BUT DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO GO TO SCHOOL ON IT PLUSE I'AM MARRIED AND HAVE 3 KIDS IS THERE A HOME CORSE OR A ON LINE CORSE TO GO BY. NEED HELP

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu

Video

This response submitted by Don on 5/26/06 at 2:07 AM. ( ) 69.212.188.195

Here's my 2 cents. Get a couple good small mammel mounting videos (preferably featuring a raccoon). Then I would suggest trying a raccoon shoulder mount, it's easier than a full body and much less expensive, also your chance of good results are much better that with a full body mount. Some people reccomend a squirrel for a first attempt, not me, I think they are too hard to work with because they are so small. If you like it then invest a little money in the proper tools and suscribe to Breakthrough and Taxidermy Today. Just do not get too discouraged if your first attempt is not so good. I have taught myself by video and manuals. The basic principals apply to all mammels.

I agree with Don

This response submitted by Bill Richards on 5/26/06 at 7:02 AM. ( huntingfool46@aol.com ) 205.188.116.197

Schools may be the best approach, but cost $$$$. You can buy alot of videos, manuals, and tools for less than the price of a school. I tried a squirrel as my first attempt.., ended up in the garbage, LOL! Anytime I had something to mount, I would a buy a video from one of the suppliers. WASCO, McKensie, Matuska, Van Dykes, Research, all have great learning videos. I have a few I cna sell at a resonable price, if interested.., feel free to email me.
Bill

Let me add

This response submitted by Warren on 5/26/06 at 12:24 PM. ( ) 139.76.128.71

Join your state taxidermy association and attend their annual convention. The seminars will provide you with many ways to improve you work, and, in addition, you'll be able to meet a lot of folks that are in the business, who are more than willing to share information and techniques. Once you've gotten a few animals, or fish, as the case may be, under your belt enter a competition. The experience and resulting critique of your work is worth its weight in gold in helping you improve. All the above may cost a little, but, is a lot cheaper than the school prices I've seen. You might check your local community colleges, as a lot of them offer courses now at a very reasonable rate. Hope this helps.

Just take your time

This response submitted by MikeP on 5/27/06 at 10:31 PM. ( ) 206.138.130.2

I'm doing the same thing. Learning it now so I can do it full time after I retire from my civil service job. Started about 5 years ago just doing novelties. Deer foot lamps, gun racks, rump mounts, antler mounts, etc. When I got comfortable with that, I got into tanning til I was comfortable with it. Now I'm into game heads and getting along pretty well. Just bought an air brush and some repros to start getting familiar with fish. I just take my time and work on getting good at one thing at a time. There are all kinds of books and videos out there to help you get started. Be Patient and don't give up on it. You WILL fail, but you'll learn a LOT at the same time. Good luck And keep coming back to this site and ask questions! These guys/gals are the best teachers you'll find!

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu