Sunday Morning Questions (SMQ's) part 43
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2019, 09:41:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday Morning Questions (SMQ's) part 43 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Sunday Morning Questions (SMQ's) part 43  (Read 6429 times)
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WWW Email
« on: December 17, 2006, 12:28:45 AM »

SMQs 43

Good Sunday Morning! Week 43 9 weeks left to go and the Sunday Morning Questions!

Last weeks winner of the Fish reference CD is Mr. Chad See of Elkins WV! Congratulations!!!!!!!!

I sure hope this weeks contribution of fish food for thought shares some entertainment and knowledge for you.

I thank you and WASCO for letting me share in my passion "FISH! As long as you keep answering the questions, I will keep writing them.

So with out further ado! Lets Get the morning stared to a new week with some fish taxidermy talk! The good people at WASCO give us the free opportunity here to share information so we can be better-informed taxidermist! So in the spirit of WASCO generosity we share freely with each other!

1. Out of all the salmon which one had the largest eye and which one has the smallest eye?

2. How do you reattach your fish fins back on your mount or reproduction?

3. What is the average size fish you take in a year?

4. What fish would you like to have to mount or mold for your own personal collection?

5. How do you go about determining eye size?

6. S- curves Concave or convex, which is the most common you will position for a customer?

7. What do you for a skin paste?

8. What do you do to fix the problems of missing scales after a fish is mounted?

9. How often do you practice (not actually paint a fish) airbrushing?

Bonus Question #10
What is this fish? Be the first one to give me the correct name and where it can be found and you will win a fish reference CD! Tell me some thing about this fish that would be of interest to the readers.

It is all because of you and your awesome replies this has become so successful!
From beginners to the seasoned pro's every one contributes and all benefit from your great experiences! Let see if I we can get more responses on the forum as well as in my email. I will give you some free fish reference photos for the asking just for contributing!
As always I just think your answers are so good more and more contribute on here for all see!

My Best and have fun with this!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451

* Bonus question #10.jpg (67.25 kB, 900x536 - viewed 777 times.)

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

http://anglersartistry.com
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
Mark V.
Silver Member

Chinook Salmon replica

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 03:53:04 AM »

1. Out of all the salmon which one had the largest eye and which one has the smallest eye? It seems like the silver salmon has the largest according to body size and the King salmon has the smallest according to size. not sure this may be correct or maybe I'm not understanding.

2. How do you reattach your fish fins back on your mount or reproduction? Hot melt glue gun or autobody filler

3. What is the average size fish you take in a year? Wild guess would maybe be 30 inches but we do such a mixed bag its hard to tell. Walleye,Northern pike,bass,Muskellunge etc.

4. What fish would you like to have to mount or mold for your own personal collection? Any and all trout and salmon species.

5. How do you go about determining eye size? usually by measuring the eye prior to mounting to give it a more exacting.

6. S- curves Concave or convex, which is the most common you will position for a customer? Convex

7. What do you for a skin paste? McKenzie paste

8. What do you do to fix the problems of missing scales after a fish is mounted? Take one out from the non show side and insert with super glue or use apoxie sculpt and model one in.

9. How often do you practice (not actually paint a fish) airbrushing? Never

Bonus Question #10
What is this fish? Be the first one to give me the correct name and where it can be found and you will win a fish reference CD! Tell me some thing about this fish that would be of interest to the readers. Probably wrong but I will say Atlantic Pollock
Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 06:46:25 AM »

1. Out of all the salmon which one had the largest eye and which one has the smallest eye? King and then the Pink

2. How do you reattach your fish fins back on your mount or reproduction? Hot glue first then apoxie sculpt

3. What is the average size fish you take in a year? 18"

4. What fish would you like to have to mount or mold for your own personal collection? peacock bass

5. How do you go about determining eye size? Measure the iris only not the scleral band

6. S- curves Concave or convex, which is the most common you will position for a customer?Concave

7. What do you for a skin paste? clear acrylic silicone caulk

8. What do you do to fix the problems of missing scales after a fish is mounted? On large scaled fish I epoxy the are in and then with a rubber mold I will press in scale detail. On small scaled fish I will just paint in the scales.

9. How often do you practice (not actually paint a fish) airbrushing? 3% of the time and that's when I'm teaching students on how to do air brushing

Bonus Question #10
What is this fish? Be the first one to give me the correct name and where it can be found and you will win a fish reference CD! Tell me some thing about this fish that would be of interest to the readers.
Since I'm a lucky holder of one I'll leave this up for other folks.

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
Chad See
Silver Member

Certified "Fish Head"

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 08:26:26 AM »

Another week has come and gone already.  Where does the time go?  Thanks again Rick for taking the time to post another round of questions.

1. Out of all the salmon which one had the largest eye and which one has the smallest eye?

1. Not sure on this one so I guess I will have to pass.  :(

2. I always us a glue, be it hot, super, or epoxy.  I then finish them with apoxie sculpt.

3. I would say 18 inches is about average.

4. What fish would you like to have to mount or mold for your own personal collection?

4. I would love to have a fairly large tiger trout for my own collection. 

5. Measure the colored part of the eye, do not include the outer band.

6. S- curves Concave or convex, which is the most common you will position for a customer?

6. I get do a fair amount of S-curves.  

7. I have been using dextrine for my fish paste, however I am not overly happy with the results.

8. What do you do to fix the problems of missing scales after a fish is mounted?

8. It depends on the fish.  Large scaled fish should be filled with apoxie sculpt, then I carve the scales back in by hand.  Smaller fish I do the same on some, but often times just paint the scales on later.  

9. Not nearly enough! 

Bonus Question #10

10. This is a tough one.  It looks like some sort of drum to me.  I am guessing a white bass which can be found in salt water around California.  As for something of interest, this fish can be very large and it isnt uncommon for divers to spearfish for them.  

hunterray2002
Gold Member

http://www.finandfoto.com

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 08:52:35 AM »

Not to sure on no.1 as well. So I am gonna pass on that one also.

2. I've always used hot glue and then feathered with apoxy sculpt.

3.In my area on average  being trout would run 20'' Bass would be roughly the same

4.My own personal best brown trout. One of these days I will finally get around to getting it mounted up. 24'' 5lbs

5.I measure  eye size by the actual fish and  an eye chart. entire eye is what I do . I fill alot of the outer eye over with sculpt .

6.s, curves and head up, tail up posses.

7.skiping ,and 8, No longer do skin mounts. I know my Bad. lol

9.As far as practicing goes with my air brush. Its not on a regular basis as in every single day. but more like a week a month depending how my work load is.
10.By the looks of i am gonna guess my best one on this. I'm guessing  a char.  wild guess tho. lol

hunterray2002
Fish-Man-Dan
Bronze Member

Fish Taxidermist

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 09:00:41 AM »

10. Looks like a weird looking Walleye to me.

Rick Krane
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 11:54:25 AM »

Great answers so far! Question #10 is  bit tough. I will say you have to look deep to find the answer. Maybe someone will have another picture of this fish.

Good Luck!!

Rick

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

hunterray2002
Gold Member

http://www.finandfoto.com

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 12:50:54 PM »

I give up. Rick. what is this thing ?lol thats missing it's lower jaw.

hunterray2002
Ken D
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 01:09:16 PM »

Sorry...I have been "occupied" last couple of weeks...Thanks Rick and everybody have a great week. Ken

Chinook  largest
Pink  smallest

Hot glue followed with Apoxie Sculpt

Average probably about 8-10 lbs.

Tarpon

I try to reference actual eye size  but the bottom line is that I want to be sure that I can create the sclera in a way that it creates a ball in socket look for the eye.

Concave

Honestly, Im one of the caulk users.

Usually rebuild with Apoxie of glue in actual scalesmainly on larger scaled fish.

Seldomprobably should.

Bonus Question #10
What is this fish? Be the first one to give me the correct name and where    it can be found and you will win a fish reference  CD! Tell me some thing about this fish that would be of interest to the readers.
Ling Cod...its ugly! I have made replicas of a couple of these guys...

Old Fart
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 01:21:56 PM »

!. I wouldn't have a clue here, I've only done King and chum salmon.
2. Apoxy Sculpt
3. The average fish I do is an eight pound, 28" walleye.
4. Panfish size tropical reef fish would be nice, otherwise crappie or smallmouth are my favorite fish.
5. I compare the actual fish eye before I skin the fish to my stock of eyes and pick the best one.
6. Virtually everything I do is a gentle s-curve mounted on driftwood.
7. White caulking.
8. Not a frequently encountered problem with the kind of fish that I do, paint will usually do the job, but occasionally Apoxy sculpt will have to be used.
9. Never, anymore.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dave Smith
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 05:39:10 PM »

#4: I have been trying to get a bluegill over about a pound and a half for almost twenty years. Also, I big deep bodies spawning male brookie
UFD
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 07:00:47 PM »

1. Regarding eye size in comparative relation to the size of the head in adult Pacific Salmon, a Chinook has the smallest eye (almost appearing beady-eyed in larger fish) and the largest appearing eyes would be a toss-up between Sockeye (hence their name) and Chum Salmon.

2. I attach (or reattach) fish fins back onto skin mounts or reproductions with super glue, sometimes with the assistance of pins glued into the base of the fins.  Large gaps are filled with bondo and then the transitions are filled and sculpted with sculpting epoxy.

3. The bulk of fish that I do are Steelhead and Chinook Salmon with the Steelhead ranging between 36-42 inches and the Chinooks ranging from 43-50 inches.  My overall combined average size is just over 40 inches.

4. Id really be smiling if I could get my hands on an African Tiger Fish, with second place going to a Nile Perch.

5. I determine eye size by measuring the iris or colored part of the eye.  With some species it is also important to pay attention to pupil size.  It is also helpful to know how a manufacturer measures their eyes so that you can cross-reference your measurements to theirs.

6. Id say that a concave (head out, tail back) S-curve nudges out in popularity a convex S-curve for my clients.  However, the convex (head back, tail out) S-curve is very popular when my client and I decide that we want to give the optical illusion that the girth is bigger than it is.

7. I use Polytranspar Hide Paste as a skin paste for my carved bodies.

8. To fix a problem of a patch of missing scales, I will fill in the area with sculpting epoxy and allow it to harden.  Then I will scribe in the scale shape with a knife blade or moto-tool bit and then carve out the lowest area of the scale with a sharp craft knife blade.  Sometimes I will also use a tool to sculpt them into the epoxy before it sets.

9. On occasion I have been known to build a plastic kit of an armor or aircraft scale model when I should be sleeping, and I really enjoy the camouflage process using an airbrush.  It is kind of a cross-training approach I guess, but I cant say I ever practice with an airbrush without it being a means to an end.

10.  My best guesstimation on this fish would be a Sablefish from the Anoplopomatidae family, which is also commonly known (somewhat incorrectly) as a Black Cod or scientifically as an Anoplopoma fimbria.  If indeed that is what it is, they are a bottom-dwelling saltwater fish from the North Pacific Rim that can frequent very deep depths, and are commercially viable as a food fish.
Ken D
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 07:49:54 PM »

Good call Dave...I would have to concur with your "guesstimation" . The picture is more characteristic of a Sablefish.

Rick Krane
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 09:41:01 PM »

Hey Ken Welcome back brother and brother dave I was going to send out smooke signals for you!

OK enough of that! So many great answers and invaluble information!!!!! You guys are the best for sure!

OK Mr. or should I say Dr. Campbell ( LOL) he shots he scores! Ok Dave a specail CD for you!!!!

Yes it is the Sable or the Black cod! Here is another picture of one of the hardest to catch fish complments Of Mr. Travis Peterson! Black Cod are long lined and capture alot of money in the Jampines market. Depths of over a thousand feet in not uncommon for this fish.

All is well in the world of Fish taxidermy!

My Best!

Rick

* black cod sabelfish.jpg (54.72 kB, 768x496 - viewed 646 times.)

Michelle Nelson's Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Bring on the Bears!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 10:20:54 PM »

Have no clue

So far I have used Hot Glue and blended in with Epoxy

Average size fish so far have been about 22"

If I had to pick one fish it would be Rainbow trout.  But I would like Salmon, Trout, or steelhead also.

I measure the colored part of the eye, not the outer band.

Most fish I do are LMB and I order the Matt Thompson Fish forms from McKenzie.  Left Turn or Right Turn

30-06 White Lightning Caulking

Depends on how big the scales are and how many are missing.  I usually use Epoxy sculpt and scult them back in.

NOT ENOUGH

Bonus Question #10

I wasn't sure exactly what kind of fish this was.  I was going to guess some kind of Cod.

Play stupid games. . . Win stupid prizes!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday Morning Questions (SMQ's) part 43 « previous next »
Jump to: