Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 44
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2019, 09:53:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 44 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 44  (Read 4301 times)
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WWW Email
« on: December 24, 2006, 12:11:07 AM »

Week 44

Good Sunday Morning and I want to wish every one the happiest of holiday with warmth and good cheer for you and your families! It is the eve of our lords birth and I hope that all of you will be in a safe and warm place for Christmas. If you are not at home or in that safe place because your serving our country know in my and many of the generous readers that in our hearts you are. I hope this year has been good in lots of different ways and I hope that Christmas will find you thinking of the blessing you have in your life not only in family but also in your gifts of talent as well as the friends you have here! Merry Christmas!

I sure hope this weeks contribution of fish food for thought shares some entertainment and knowledge for you.

This weeks questions will be light! I know you like me problem have other things to do in preparation for the holidays! So here goes!

I thank you and WASCO for letting me share in my passion "FISH! As long as you keep answering the questions, I will keep writing them.

So with out further ado! Lets Get the morning stared to a new week with some fish taxidermy talk! The good people at WASCO give us the free opportunity here to share information so we can be better-informed taxidermist! So in the spirit of WASCO generosity we share freely with each other!

Answer what you can!

1. If a customer brings you a fish with a split tail how do you fix it?

2. When setting eyes how do you determine the angle it is to be set at?

3. If scales are missing on a heavy scaled fish like a bass or a walleye what do you do to deal with the missing scales?

4. Have you ever mounted a Bass with the mouth close and the Dorsal fin down? How many do you do a year if any?

5. How long does it take to dry a bass before you can paint it?

6. What is the difference between a Steel head and a Rainbow?

7. How far down on the backside do you carry your show side paintwork?

8. What color do you paint the backside of your wall-mounted fish?   

9. What should be on your business card?

Bonus question
10! What other fish have Axillary process?

It is all because of you and your awesome replies this has become so successful!
From beginners to the seasoned pro's every one contributes and all benefit from your great experiences! Let see if I we can get more responses on the forum as well as in my email. I will give you some free fish reference photos for the asking just for contributing!
As always I just think your answers are so good more and more contribute on here for all see!

My Best and have fun with this!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

http://anglersartistry.com
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
Rdrash

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 03:21:00 AM »

I have had no customers bring in any repair work!

temp set the eye then sit back and have a good long look at it from different POV's and compare to a photo of the actual fish if available

3. If scales are missing on a heavy scaled fish like a bass or a walleye what do you do to deal with the missing scales?

no real heavy scaled fish in AK that call for much work

4. Have you ever mounted a Bass with the mouth close and the Dorsal fin down? How many do you do a year if any?

No bass in the AK

see #4

A steelhead migrates from a large body of water or sea to spawn in freshwater generally steelhead will stop eating for sometime while in freshwater streams where as a rainbow does not make an effort to migrate to another body of water to complete its life cycle.  there are also arctic char and dolly varden that migrate from the sea there are even the same specie char in two separate rivers that spawn in the opposite stream traveling to them through open ocean.

f
ade the top color down to centerline as well as bringing up the belly color and cover with clear ( I do not consider this show work )

see #7

name address phone number website and email if available on the backside a small street map with the words "advice is always free"

Bonus question

well other than? salmon , trout , shad that are in the herring family the butterfly fish in my salt tank, whitefish, anchovies,
Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 05:56:07 AM »

That's an easy fix since I cast fins all the time I just lay the fin in the bedding and close up the split and make my mold that way. Now if the client has a something that is different in the spilt and they want it, then I cast it that way for him

Again it's the base or how the fish is going to be. I just don't slap eyes in to say ok here you go. I want the fish to be looking at a subject or doing what's natural to the fish at the time it's in.

3. If scales are missing on a heavy scaled fish like a bass or a walleye what do you do to deal with the missing scales? I lay epoxy in and make it feathered out , let it harden up some and then put some lacquer on it and press in a mold of scales I have made from another fish. After the scales are pressed in, I again feather out the edge to make it all blend in. From there I paint to match the skin tone and scale tip as normal.

4. Have you ever mounted a Bass with the mouth close and the Dorsal fin down? How many do you do a year if any? Yes only once for the client wanted it that way. Other than that they want those fins to show.

5. How long does it take to dry a bass before you can paint it? I can have a bass ready in two days hanging in the area I have. It hangs near my oil furnace and it's dry heat there that is about 80*. So the fish dry fast there.

One lives in the river all it's life (rainbow)
And the other lives in a lake and then spawns in the river (Steelhead)

7. How far down on the backside do you carry your show side paintwork?That depends on how the fish is going to be displayed so it can be 1/3 to 2/3 of the fish

8. What color do you paint the backside of your wall-mounted fish?   Generally it's all the paint I'm using on the fish. I don't black it out.

business name of course
address, phone, website if you have one and you should. (folks love to look on the PC these days)
Eye catching photos of your work, not just a plain drawing something that they like to look at.

Bonus question
herring, salmon,Dolly varden,cutthroat.

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
hford
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 07:39:11 AM »

1. With silkspan when I coat the fins.
2. By the action or attitude of the fish.
3. Sculpt them back with apoxie sculpt.
4. Yes, but hardly ever, the ones I've done were competition or for displays.
5. 1 week depending on weather and humidity,with a fan blowing on them.
6. In S. Ga. we don't have either.
7. I paint both sides of the head and about a quarter of the back.
8. black
9.Name, address, phone no., what you do or specialize inand credentials. And organizations you are a member of.
10. salmon, herring, dolly varden, cutthroat
Monty Artrip
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 09:58:24 AM »

1. If a customer brings you a fish with a split tail how do you fix it? If it is the real tail, I dry with a small amount of alchohol and super glue the split together before carding. I am currently going to reproducing all fins. 

2. When setting eyes how do you determine the angle it is to be set at? I try to make them corrospond with what the fish is doing. Most coldwater fish look best with the eyes rolled down somewhat.

3. If scales are missing on a heavy scaled fish like a bass or a walleye what do you do to deal with the missing scales? I used to sculpt them in. Now looking at painting them in. As Rick pointed out in a previous post: when you catch a fish, can you actually see the scale above the surface?

4. Have you ever mounted a Bass with the mouth close and the Dorsal fin down? How many do you do a year if any? No, I have never had a request for this.

5. How long does it take to dry a bass before you can paint it? I let them dry naturally for a couple days and then use a fan. 7 days total average.

6. What is the difference between a Steel head and a Rainbow? Steelies are adronomos(did I spell that right?) , which means they live in a larger body of water and travel up a tributary to spawn.

7. How far down on the backside do you carry your show side paintwork? I paint the same as the front, although not as much detail.

8. What color do you paint the backside of your wall-mounted fish?  Same as the front.

9. What should be on your business card? Currently changing mine. Obviously name, address and phone. These days also Email and website if you have one. I  am also changing business names.

Bonus question
10! What other fish have Axillary process? I assume you mean other than trout. Salmon and char. Not sure about any saltwater fish.
UFD
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 03:10:34 PM »

1.  To repair a split tail when using the natural fins, I try to super glue the split as best as possible, and then back the split with tape or other spanning material and then coat with fin coating material.  Ill do any sculpting in the split with epoxy and then overcoat again with fin coating material to tie everything together.  Cast fins already have the split area bridged with the casting material, so it is simple to sculpt any gapped areas with epoxy or by scribing rays.  Those repairs are usually for splits that occur during landing or handling, but if it is scarred over and obviously happened before coming in contact with the fisherman that I am doing the fish for, I will consult them on if they want scars repaired or left as character.

2.  When setting eyes Id prefer to have an actual game plan (or focal point) as to what the fish will be doing and then gear it towards that.  However, most fish mounts are just fish mounts so I will try to tip them slightly down and forward if basic forward motion is depicted, and sometimes Ill tip them down and back so that they appear to be looking at the viewer when the viewer is standing directly in front of the fish.  And sometimes Ill just roll them down as if the fish has been taken out of the water and is being held up sideways.  I try to pay attention when I talk to the client to see if I can pick up on something that they noticed about the eyes that they found interesting and then Ill integrate that into the mount.

3.  To replicate missing scales on a heavy scaled fish I will fill in the missing areas with epoxy and then either sculpt in the scales as the epoxy sets or carve then in with a craft knife after it has hardened, and/or a combination of those.

4.   I mounted a Largemouth for practice for myself once with a closed mouth and fully relaxed dorsal fin and a Smallmouth once with a closed mouth and slightly relaxed dorsal fin for the same reason.  That was back about 1985 and I have since given those fish mounts away many years ago.  I have never had a request from a client for a closed mouth on a Bass.

5.  I have been molding and casting heads on my warm water fish now for about the last 6-7 years, and without the head and placed in front of a fan they dry very quickly, but I still give them at least a week before doing any finish work.

6.  A Steelhead is an anadromous (grow and feed in a marine or large lacustrine environment and spawn in a freshwater river or creek) version of a Rainbow Trout (which are usually stream or lake year long residents), but like any population of a certain species that are left to do their own thing for a period of time, the population will start to develop its own peculiarities.  Along our North Pacific coastal regions we can have both winter- and summer-run Steelhead depending upon the river system, with the winter-run fish coming into the rivers right before spawning in the spring, and the summer-runs coming into the rivers late in the summer and early fall to winter over in the river until also spawning a little earlier in the spring (than the typical winter-runs spawning in later spring).  Incidentally, the body shape of a winter-run versus a summer-run are very different with the winter-runs being very heavy-bodied in depth and summer-runs being conversely very heavy-bodied in width.  The advantage of a species being anadromous is that its size (and therefore fecundity or egg production) is not limited to the limited forage base and habitat availability of a river.  The anadromous fish can take advantage of the great forage base of a large body of water for maximum growth, and by having the timing of different runs vary, the populations are able to remain unique and also each be able to take advantage of the limited habitat in the river or creek.  There is more that could be said about Rainbows and Steelhead, but suffice it to say that they are both the same creature and very different at the same time.

7. & 8.   I airbrush the wall side of wall mounts with the same basic tones of the front side of the fish in its entirety, and that takes place very early in my painting process and doesnt take me a great deal of time.  I do however limit my layered process of scale painting and further tinting and shading (which is actually the bulk of time in my paint process) to the show side only.   

9.  In the past I have done somewhat elaborate business cards, but anymore I just prefer to have my name, business name, and contact information on a basic card that a client or potential client can refer to.  If I ever planned on stepping up my advertising efforts, I could see the point in having a catchy or attractive card.

10.  In addition to the species already mentioned, Tarpon also have an axillary process.  Tarpon are also unique in that they also have fully developed versions of them above the pectoral fins as well as the pelvic fins.  Some fish can be argued to have features above the pelvic fin that appear to be similar to a very undeveloped axillary process.  The purpose of an axillary process is to streamline and promote hydrodynamic flow efficiency of the fin pocket area, so for the most part it is beneficial to portray them on a fish mount as tight to the body and in the groove created by the pelvic fin being away from the body, although in some hydrodynamic flow situations they could be pulled away very slightly.

......and with all that said, Merry Christmas and/or a Happy Whatever to everyone!  :)
Michelle Nelson's Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Bring on the Bears!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »

I use silk span.  I seal the fish.  Using 30-06 White Lightning Caulking (goes on white fries clear) and put some on the back of the tail and than apply the silk span.  I than put another coat of Caulking ontop of the silk span.  Once that is complete I put some Caulking on the front of the tail.  I let this dry over night and in the morning will apply another coat of caulking over the silk span on the front of the tail.  i do this 2 or 3 times over the next couple of days making sure it dries.  i use a paint brush because id adds the right texture to the repair.  Once the damaged area is built up and dry I seal the areas again that have been repaired.  Than I paint.

This is not a strong area for me. 

Depends on haw bad the area is.  If it is 1 or 2 scales I don't usually mess with it.  If it is more than sometimes I will sculpt some in with epoxy. Depends on the damage.

Never

I leave a Bass Dry for atleast 2 weeks.  I usually have a fan circulating the air all te time in my shop.

Steelhead goes to the Ocean and a Rainbow stays in Fresh Water.

For example on a 10lbs bass I usually only leave about 2 inches along the seam undetailed until I reach the tail and head section.  I give those a little more detail.

Same colors I am using on the rest of the fish.

I have my Buisness Name, My Name, Phone number, The Town I am in.

Bonus question

Have no clue.  Don't even know what that is.

The Bass below had a 2" split in it's tail when it was brought to me.  I usually get over 1/2 of my fish with splits in fins.

* DSCN0208.JPG (28.54 kB, 519x389 - viewed 715 times.)

Play stupid games. . . Win stupid prizes!
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 44 « previous next »
Jump to: