Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 45
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2019, 09:57:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 45 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 45  (Read 4663 times)
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WWW Email
« on: December 30, 2006, 11:49:22 PM »

Week 45!

Good Sunday Morning. Happy New years to you all!

I only hope that the past 44 weeks have given you a lot to chew on as well as proving you a bit of fish food for your own head. As we come on to 2007 I want to thank all of you who read and write here every week for making this an event each week I look forward too!

Here is a few more Taxidermy and fish related questions to help withy the morning Coffee. This week we have a few beginners and a few other questions to think about. In the past several week s we have had some new folks as well as the good old Champions of knowledge sharing get together and shed some light for all of to learn new things. There is 7 weeks left of what started off as a Sunday morning fact finding mission and it has turned in to a wealth of knowledge for all taxidermy to take from. Ken Edwards has given all of here a tremendous play ground where we can share or even kick sand around some times with out a lot of rules and policing. We are a small community and we all do a great job of helping each other and working out of thoughts and feels in the best way we know how. So Good Sunday morning if this is the first time you joined us. So sit back have some fun answer or read a few questions but learn some thing and what you love to do!
I sure hope this weeks contribution of fish food for thought shares some entertainment and knowledge for you.

I thank you and WASCO for letting me share in my passion "FISH! As long as you keep answering the questions, I will keep writing them.

So with out further ado! Lets Get the morning stared to a new week with some fish taxidermy talk! The good people at WASCO give us the free opportunity here to share information so we can be better-informed taxidermist! So in the spirit of WASCO generosity we share freely with each other!

Answer what you can!

1. Gloss what is the best Gloss you have found and why?

2. Epoxy! When using epoxy what is the best temperature to use it and what is your working time with your product of choice?

3. Tipping! Do you tip 15% or 20% LOL! Kidding the real question is how much of a fish do you tip? Talk about the hows and the whys of the process.

4. One eye or 2? When setting eyes how many do you put back in your fish mounts? Why?

5. What does or did your family think of you going in to taxidermy?

6. Do you have business insurance and what can you tell us about what you are insured for?

7. Heres a situation. A customer tells you they want to see the mount in is process before you complete it How do you handle this?

8. When reconstructing how much and what kind of reference do you use?

9. What salt water fish would you like to do?

Bonus Question
10. Have you ever paid to have another taxidermist do any work for you because you like their work? If so why if not why? As admires of beauty and art what are your thoughts on this subject?

From beginners to the seasoned pro's every one contributes and all benefit from your great experiences!

My Best and have fun with this!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

http://anglersartistry.com
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
JP a.k.a Taxi-lover
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 03:52:58 AM »

I've used clear gloss from spray bottle,not happy with it but it's pretty much the only I can have...

2. Epoxy! When using epoxy what is the best temperature to use it and what is your working time with your product of choice?
Room temperature. I have about three hour's to work with it.

3. Tipping! Do you tip 15% or 20% LOL! Kidding the real question is how much of a fish do you tip? Talk about the hows and the whys of the process.
I've used different pens (gold and silvery),also little paint brush and paints thinned. I think i'm still learning to tip...

4. One eye or 2? When setting eyes how many do you put back in your fish mounts? Why?
Two eye's always...unless the mount is that way positioned in habitat you couldn't see the second eye.

I think they loved it,because my dad is really keen hunter and we used to mount our trophies. So it was really helpful to have taxidermist in the house!!

6. Do you have business insurance and what can you tell us about what you are insured for?
----

7. Heres a situation. A customer tells you they want to see the mount in is process before you complete it How do you handle this?
I've once had a customer who wanted to see fish painting prosess. I invited him to see it and he was very happy. He said that now he understands better the price ,because he hadn't no idea how much time was spent in the prosess and that was only painting. Otherwise i'm not interested to show uncompleted work to customer.

All I can have...
Nothing special, all fishes are just fun!!

Bonus Question
10. Have you ever paid to have another taxidermist do any work for you because you like their work? If so why if not why? As admires of beauty and art what are your thoughts on this subject?
No opinion to this question.... ;)

I have a dream...more trophies on my wall!
Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 06:30:59 AM »

I like Rusteolum High Gloss for furnuture. I gives me a nice wet look

2. Epoxy! When using epoxy what is the best temperature to use it and what is your working time with your product of choice? Well 70* is usually the best but I know my shop is a bit warmer. I still have about 45 minutes of working time cause I really warm up the epoxy in my hands. This makes it set faster plus if I want it to set quicker just hit it with a hair drier ( that's heat it up not really hit it  :) )

For clientel work it's about 75% of hand tipping and then I use my finger with the rest of it so I will say that I probally do 100% of the show side for my clients.

Two eys. It came with and goes with two. Come on close on eye and tell me how well do you see LOL.

LOL it's one big hobby for my wifes side and my side just loves the idea and is amazed on how far I went in a few years.

Yes, my clients if they fall and their mounts have coverage.

I welcome it. I like to get them involed to get their opinion on a the way it is going to be set up and if any changes are needed this is the time to do it.

As much as I can get my hands on......... Reference is the key to good work but also understanding it the the other.

9. What salt water fish would you like to do? mahi mahi

Bonus Question
10. Have you ever paid to have another taxidermist do any work for you because you like their work?
nope If so why if not why? As long as I can preform the work I will not send out to do the work. I became a general taxidermist and that means your able to do it all, so why not learn all aspects and do it to your best ability.
As admires of beauty and art what are your thoughts on this subject?

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 07:01:30 AM »

1. Gloss what is the best Gloss you have found and why?  Envirotex, because my customers like to see those bass looking good and wet

2. Epoxy! When using epoxy what is the best temperature to use it and what is your working time with your product of choice?  Room temp I suppose (70-75 deg) one hour working time

3. Tipping! Do you tip 15% or 20% LOL! Kidding the real question is how much of a fish do you tip? Talk about the hows and the whys of the process.  Very little on LMB.  On large fish, such as redfish, I spend maybe 30 minutes tipping scales

4. One eye or 2? When setting eyes how many do you put back in your fish mounts? Why? 2 eyes because I don't like looking at the back side w/o an eye!

5. What does or did your family think of you going in to taxidermy?  My parents said it was OK as long as I paid for the lessons ($1.00 each!), and did OK in school...that was 36 yrs ago

6. Do you have business insurance and what can you tell us about what you are insured for? Yes...Coastal Plains policy offered through NTA.  I really don't know all that I am insured for and I hope I never have to file a claim.

7. Heres a situation. A customer tells you they want to see the mount in is process before you complete it How do you handle this?  Usually , this only happens when someone they know comes in my shop and see's something I am working on, then goes and tells them.  In that case, I say come on over, but they rarely do til it's finished.

8. When reconstructing how much and what kind of reference do you use?  Frozen fish or photos

9. What salt water fish would you like to do?  Sailfish

Bonus Question
10. Have you ever paid to have another taxidermist do any work for you because you like their work? If so why if not why? As admires of beauty and art what are your thoughts on this subject?  No, I have never paid another taxidermist for their work...I want them to pay me for my work!

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.co
Mark V.
Silver Member

Chinook Salmon replica

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 09:29:44 AM »

1. Gloss what is the best Gloss you have found and why? I use a two part sealer/gloss for all fish unless I want a higher shine then I go with a automotive type clear. I spray through a automotive paint gun.

2. Epoxy! When using epoxy what is the best temperature to use it and what is your working time with your product of choice? For epoxy such as Apoxie sculpt I will have temp in shop at around 70 but if I want it to set faster I will use warmer water as I'm mixing it up.

3. Tipping! Do you tip 15% or 20% LOL! Kidding the real question is how much of a fish do you tip? Talk about the hows and the whys of the process. Don't do alot of tipping on commercial fish unless its a trout or salmon. I use various colors with a brush or rub on with fingers.

4. One eye or 2? When setting eyes how many do you put back in your fish mounts? Why? Most mounts I do are wall mounted so I use 1 eye. I put 2 in if its in a extreme action pose or for 2 sided pedestals . Might be taboo but I have always done only 1 eye on commercial mounts.

5. What does or did your family think of you going in to taxidermy? I come from a family with a taxidermy background. My dad started the buisness 30 years ago and me and my brother and 1 of my sisters were all in it. Me and my dad run it now as my brother pursued another career and My sister quit last year. Not sure if I want my kids to continue but we will see if they have any interest in time.

6. Do you have business insurance and what can you tell us about what you are insured for? We have liability,fire theft and such for 1.5 million. It basically covers all bases. We have not had to use any thank god.

7. Heres a situation. A customer tells you they want to see the mount in is process before you complete it How do you handle this? Usually don't let customers see a mount before completion but on a rare occasion someone will stop by and want to take a look and I will show them.

8. When reconstructing how much and what kind of reference do you use? I use live reference pictures for most.

9. What salt water fish would you like to do? I like to do them all although I don't get much calling for it.

Bonus Question
10. Have you ever paid to have another taxidermist do any work for you because you like their work? If so why if not why? As admires of beauty and art what are your thoughts on this subject? Only my sister as she was our bird taxidermist up until last year. I admire alot of work especially on here but use it for more of a learning experience. There are endless gifted taxidermists here and Im humbled to see the work each and every week.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 11:05:17 PM by Mark V. » Logged
Pescado
Platinum Member

Biggest in 2011

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 10:00:11 AM »

I have stuck with Lifetone Gloss Topcoat  LT200. Easy to use and gives a nice finish.

Apoxie sculpt is what I use and I usually try to have it applied within a 1/2 hour of mixing. Once applied it can be worked for 1 or two hours, depending on temperature. Warmer seems to cure faster, so I try to keep the shop area around 62 degrees.

I try to tip all fish and pretty much the whole show side. Not enough time to describe all the How's, but the whys are, I feel it gives a more natural look.

95% of my fish get one eye. I try to give the customer the most for his money, so I tend to concentrate on the "show side". It's not called the show side because it is going to a show, but because that is what is seen. I don't worry much about what is "not seen".

I have a supportive family, they seem to embrace all of my endeavors.

I have a general Camp Owners Policy, which covers all my hunting and fishing clients. That can be dangerous. I have nothing special on homeowners to cover my fish stuffing, as I have yet to have one bite a guest or client.

Give me a call and I'll show you the progress, but I won't let them watch me work. I don't like distractions when I'm in the mood to work, which isn't all the time.

I try to "fleshin up" all shrunken areas and use either photos or casts as a guide.

A celocant seems like it would be a cool one to do.

Bonus Question

Never as a taxidermist. I do however take an occasional photo of an exceptional mount to help stay motivated.

Paul Borkowski
Blue Ribbon Taxidermy & Supply
Agawa Canyon Outfitters, LTD.
joe simmons
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 10:29:31 AM »

1. Gloss what is the best Gloss you have found and why? i've used polytranspar wet look to painters touch whatever i have on hand

2. Epoxy! When using epoxy what is the best temperature to use it and what is your working time with your product of choice?my shop is usually around 65 i have 30 -45 min utes depending on how fast i want it to set up, sometimes i like it to set fast so i'll add heat.

3. Tipping! Do you tip 15% or 20% LOL! Kidding the real question is how much of a fish do you tip? Talk about the hows and the whys of the process. i tip what needs to be tipped for the fish i spend time on it not real fast and good at it yet.

4. One eye or 2? When setting eyes how many do you put back in your fish mounts? Why? two eyes for sure the fish had them both when it was alive, its like not putting in septums on your deer mounts come on as close to nature as possible

5. What does or did your family think of you going in to taxidermy?they thought it was a good idea  they supported me and still do

6. Do you have business insurance and what can you tell us about what you are insured for?yes mounts and personal

i welcome it ,i like them to see what goes on so they have somewhat of an understanding why i charge for what i do.
8. When reconstructing how much and what kind of reference do you use? i try to get as much as possible

9. What salt water fish would you like to do? any i have not done one yet

Bonus Question
10. Have you ever paid to have another taxidermist do any work for you because you like their work? If so why if not why? As admires of beauty and art what are your thoughts on this subject? nope i handle all my own stuff if i get behind on something then i might consider it

Joe   Simmons
John C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 10:57:30 AM »

Best gloss I have found is a furniture lacquer, I have used everything on the market and this is by far the safest and easiest to apply.

I only use small quantities of Apoxy Sculpt at a time, I use it warm and with solvent for ease of application.

3. Tipping! Do you tip 15% or 20% LOL! Kidding the real question is how much of a fish do you tip? Talk about the how’s and the whys of the process.

Ah, tipping I do what each fish needs to look right in my opinion. Some more some less.

2 eyes always, thats the first thing a client looks at for some darn reason.

Do you mean the wife or the whole immediate family? Wife thinks its great, Dad and Mom are still out on the subject even after almost 30 years.

Mine is covered under my farm insurance, will cover building with a deductable, and contents.

7. Here’s a situation. A customer tells you they want to see the mount in is process before you complete it… How do you handle this?

I tell them no one sees it until it is completely ready, most clients think that you screwed up their mount when they see it in process.

I use fresh fish when I can, lots of pictures and of course many fresh castings and notes.

Queen Angel fish. it i s IMHO the prettiest of all saltwater fish.

Bonus Question

Someday when I am rich I am going to have Brian Harness mount a red fox!!!  I could never do that quality work!!

There are several bird guys I admire their work, I can do a pretty OK commercial bird, but there are so many good bird guys out there.

I have used a couple so called good bird guys, paid extra for their so-called best work and received crap back.

[14] Never show anyone show quality work and send out garbage! [14] [/red]

20% Share holder Advanced Marine Performance, LLC, Hydro hull design engineer Vexus Boats.
jwj4856
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 11:19:50 AM »

Normally I use Krylon Triple Thick Glaze unless I want a super high shine then I use the two part automotive gloss.

I use my epoxy at room temp and usually ahev about 45 minutes working time.

I usually use small paint brush wuth thinned paints or tipping pens and tip each fish in until i think it looks right.

Always used 2 eyes, thats the way they come in and the way they leave.

I got into this parttime and still am and family all think it is a really cool hobby in their opinions.

Mine is covered under my homeowners insurance, will cover building with a deductable, and contents.

I tell them a little about the process so they know what to expect then if they still want to see then I let them in to see.

Use all the reference I can get ahold of, mostly books and pics.

no real opinion as I do not do but about 3 or 4 salt water fish per year, of the ones I have done I would have to say I like the redfish or speckled trout the best.

Bonus Question

I have had another taxidermist fromk my area do a few birds for me and I do his fish for him in trade, he is very good on birds and only does birds in his shop. l

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 07:53:59 PM by jwj4856 » Logged

Double J Taxidermy
Shreveport, LA
mayhem15
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 07:52:47 PM »

1.Gloss what is the best Gloss you have found and why?
 Ive used many types of gloss, but the one that I find works best is Krylon Super Thick Glaze. At the right temp and humidity , it gives your mount a smooth, super glossy look ( with NO yellowing)

Best at room temp ( 74- 80 ) and it takes  about an hour before I cant work with it. ( 3 -5 hours until its cured)   Also, if Im in a rush I leave the mount out in the Florida sun to bake the epoxy quicker.

3. Tipping!

Depends on the fish,. But for a bass. I tip everything on the show side, except the tip-top of  the mount. I would used gold metallic on the top and upper/ middle sides , then use pearl white for the lower/middle side and belly.

I always use two. Fish have 2 eyes in nature, and I dont like to look cheap.

OH Heck no! they think Im a joke. My family hates the fact I make fish. My live-in girl friend hates it  even more, because I destroy the house and dont pull in enough $., so she winds up paying most of the bills.  Hate to sounds so negative but its the truth.

6. Do you have business insurance
 Cant afford insurance for my business or myself.

When asked, I will take pictures of the whole process, then e-mail them. Pictures say more than words, and words take up too much time, and time is money!

I spend hours looking for reference pictures. But I do have good friends out there, who help me and send me  lots of reference pictures. Thanks guys!

There are so many, but I would have to say a huge Mola-Mola / ocean sunfish. Also Manta ray, Pollock, Haddock, Halibut, and Pacific Barracuda. 

10. Have you ever paid to have another taxidermist do any work for you because you like their work? If so why if not why? As admires of beauty and art what are your thoughts on this subject?NO. My clients pay me to make their fish . But I would buy another taxidermists work to hang on my wall, especially AnglingArtisans ebay fish. Would love to get a few of them for the living room !

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 45 « previous next »
Jump to: