Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 46
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2019, 02:02:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 46 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 46  (Read 5387 times)
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WWW Email
« on: January 07, 2007, 12:00:23 AM »

Week 46

Well Happy first week of 2007! As the SMQs wind down I'm happy that we have shared lots of great information and lots of cool ideas! There are lots of folks I will be thanking when this is all said and down with but I will tell you I don't think Frank K from PA. has ever missed more than 1 SMQ! Not just is he a gentleman but a great all around Taxidermist and family man as well! So here's to you Mr. Kotula!

I sure hope this week's contribution of fish food for thought shares some entertainment and knowledge for you.

I thank you and WASCO for letting me share in my passion "FISH! As long as you keep answering the questions, I will keep writing them.

So with out further ado! Lets Get the morning stared to a new week with some fish taxidermy talk! The good people at WASCO give us the free opportunity here to share information so we can be better-informed taxidermist! So in the spirit of WASCO generosity we share freely with each other!

Answer what you can!

1.What is the lowest price per inch you know of in your area?

2.What is the highest price in your area?

3.Where do you fall in this batch and why?

4.Do you think the person with the highest does the best work or the one with the lowest price does the poorest work? What are your observations on this?

5.How do you help or inform a customer who is thinking about a reproduction for the first time? What do you say to sell them on this option?

6.As it is in taxidermy today not unlike years past how do you over come a customer who tells you about some part timer who can do their work for cost or free? As a professional taxidermist how do you handle this?

7.As a part timer do you feel you should charge as much as the full timer? What is your process for making this decision?

8.What is your favorite airbrush and why? What dopes it do that others you have owned do not?

9.Are you a member of the NTA? If yes why? If no what would you say to a customer if they asked?

Bonus Question
10.What is the real difference between what your customer gets and what you would consider competition work?

From beginners to the seasoned pro's every one contributes and all benefit from your great experiences!

My Best and have fun with this!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

http://anglersartistry.com
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
Joey Arender
Platinum Member

big mouth alert

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 03:19:01 AM »

$5.00 per inch

Not really sure but I think 14.00

I am at 12.00 warm and 14.00 cold, That is just what I am happy with at this minute. I feel at that price I can offer them a good product.

4.Do you think the person with the highest does the best work or the one with the lowest price does the poorest work? What are your observations on this?

I never seen either up close. I have seen their websites as they are listed under the links but they are worth what they are charging and I guess they are happy.

5.How do you help or inform a customer who is thinking about a reproduction for the first time? What do you say to sell them on this option? I never really try to sell them on anything I try to give them what they ask for and point out the advancements in reproductions. I really believe that a skin mount done right will last as long.

6.As it is in taxidermy today not unlike years past how do you over come a customer who tells you about some part timer who can do their work for cost or free? As a professional taxidermist how do you handle this?
That happenned two days ago. I asked him why in the world he was calling me then. response was I like your work better. I said, well then it looks or sounds like you need to come on by and have me do it for you. he said, see you soon and dropped off his Bobcat at the price I charge.

7.As a part timer do you feel you should charge as much as the full timer? What is your process for making this decision? Charge what you need or want to charge. I have never understood the whole part-time debate on over time. Sure you are working more hours, but it is at a second job. If you worked days for company A and nights for company B, would you expect B to pay you over time wages. No.

8.What is your favorite airbrush and why? What dopes it do that others you have owned do not?
Iwata HP-BC, Gary B. showed it to me and  it has helped me do more of the things I wanted to do. Its a lot better brush then I am a air brusher. The brush is just designed better IMO with the angled trigger and allows me to be able to use a double action. In past I have tried an passhe double vl i think. I am sure it's not much difference in what one will do over the other but the trigger and balance is what makes it for me.

9.Are you a member of the NTA? If yes why? If no what would you say to a customer if they asked?
Yes. Really never thought about it. Boils down to industry support in the long run. feel kinda obligated in some ways. From everything I have learned, competitions moved taxidermy to where it is today. Today its easier for me to produce a convincing mount with the products readily available to me.
Bonus Question
10.What is the real difference between what your customer gets and what you would consider competition work? Well If they get a wall mount then they get the real head and fins on warm water fish and in most cases a commercial manikin. The paint on the show side is the same, for me. The paint on the wall side is all base colors( they're in my cup already), detail is hit and miss on the wall side. if they want a pedestal mount then there is no difference. I strive to produce  the best I can and I am happy doing it even at what I charge. Besides, I feel doing it that way will only make me a better competitor, more proficient and my customers happier. I love the challenge fish offer me and live with the look I produce, I know it was the best I could put out that day. The next day changes things sometimes. I have said, that is the best I can do, go to bed just to wake up and begin removing the paint knowing I can try and do better. I am probably the poster child on how not to run a taxidermy business.

Life is a lot better when your outlook is positive!
Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 06:25:12 AM »

Good morning all and thanks Rich. This is  a great way to start my head off in the morning. It's better than a cup of Java LOL.
It's fun to answer these questions and help anybody out plus myself but trying to find some of the very hard fish questions.

$4.00 an inch is the lowest I've heard.

$18.00 an inch.

I'm the highest for the quality of work I provide my clients.

Ouch this is a tough question and really I don't like to answer this for it's not my decision but the clients to make this. One person to make this decision is rough for the reason being the person who may be doing lower quality work may be doing his best work and that's as far as he may go.
I can't say and run off as being the best, yes other know that and they make that decision. Not every person can do what I and others have achieved. It's hard work and devotion to get here with that comes a price and that is you do give a lot of your free time to learn more to get better. You have to experiment on products to see what works and doesn't.
Those with lower quality may not have that time but are and I hope do learn by trying out what's on the market today to get better so they can provide more to there family and friends.

5.How do you help or inform a customer who is thinking about a reproduction for the first time? What do you say to sell them on this option?
I have heard from clients that reproduction look real fake and they don't like them at all. I explain to them that what I do is very different and I would like them to come over to see some of my work. When they come over I have them look at some of my fish I have here and ask them which one is plastic? As they look real close they're not sure and say OK which one in real or fake. I then tell them and they'll ask how come mine look so real and other one look so fake. I explain some of my techniques to them and they agree that it looks more real than a skin mount. From there it's a sale.

6.As it is in taxidermy today not unlike years past how do you over come a customer who tells you about some part timer who can do their work for cost or free? As a professional taxidermist how do you handle this? I get a real kick out of this one when this happens. When this happens and it has more than once when there here I ask them first why are you here with me and not with them? Well your work is really of quality and I want that. That's great and I appreciate that and I will tell you this. If I was doing this part time and didn't per-say needed this as a full time job and I had a different one, my prices would be sky high. I would have more time to put into my work and every piece I would do would be a major show piece. This would take a lot more time than what I can do as a full time taxidermist. I don't understand those who do it part time are trying to be so cheap. They should be high in their price and put the time in so they could go full time and them our prices can go up even more.

7.As a part timer do you feel you should charge as much as the full timer? What is your process for making this decision? Since I'm not part time but this question if I was is answered above in question 6.

8.What is your favorite airbrush and why?  Iwata This brush give me all the detail I want.......
What dopes it do that others you have owned do not?
Having owned a few different Paasche ( H-VL-VL Jr.) I could not get the detail I seen in other work or looking at reference. Then Breakthrough came out with an article on airbrushes and their qualities. After reading them and finding out more on their test I didn't have the money at that time to get an Iwata but read that an Aztec was very compatible to one for the price. So I got one and did buy another one later on. I finally got good detail from it and was quite pleased with the preformace. I still use it on all my mammal work. So I was happy where I was at till one day I tried and Iwata and having it in my hands and working it was a real pleasure. The feel was great, it had control, the weight in my had was right. A person couldn't find any thing wrong with it. So I bought one and now have four of them LOL.

9.Are you a member of the NTA? If yes why? Yes, because of what we're trying to do and that is better ourselves and protect todays industry on taxidermy from folks who would like to all hunting and fishing stopped.
 If no what would you say to a customer if they asked?

Bonus Question
10.What is the real difference between what your customer gets and what you would consider competition work? Hmmm one sided from a 360* and maybe a few less hours of extreme detail.

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
joe simmons
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:56:33 AM »

1.What is the lowest price per inch you know of in your area? i believe it is 5.50 thats what it was in the spring anyhow

2.What is the highest price in your area? 16 "

3.Where do you fall in this batch and why? i fall in the highest price range for i do things way differently than the others (cast fins ,heads etc)

4.Do you think the person with the highest does the best work or the one with the lowest price does the poorest work? What are your observations on this? i cannot answer this although the lowest in my area looks like it should be priced that way.

5.How do you help or inform a customer who is thinking about a reproduction for the first time? What do you say to sell them on this option?welll i have had noone ask for one or ask me about them ,i have told customers they are available if they are catch and release.tell them to take pictures and length ,girth.

6.As it is in taxidermy today not unlike years past how do you over come a customer who tells you about some part timer who can do their work for cost or free? As a professional taxidermist how do you handle this?well it happens to me alot, i tell them to check out my work first , you get what you pay for , but in the end i get them when they see my work, hard to compete with the $200 guy deerheads 

7.As a part timer do you feel you should charge as much as the full timer? What is your process for making this decision?as i am a part timer i do charge a higher rate not the most expensive ,but up at the top as i have overhead and want this fulltime.

8.What is your favorite airbrush and why? What dopes it do that others you have owned do not?i own an aztek and a couple iwata's the  latest model  i just bought (thanks to frank kotula i love it)

9.Are you a member of the NTA? If yes why? If no what would you say to a customer if they asked? not a member yet keep saying i will join , this year for sure.

Bonus Question
10.What is the real difference between what your customer gets and what you would consider competition work?my mammals i give them near competition work only a few hours difference maybe as far as my fish go (lol) franks knows about that one i have not learned to paint a good fish

Joe   Simmons
Pescado
Platinum Member

Biggest in 2011

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:17:58 AM »

8 - My hands down favorite brush is my Iwata Custom Micron  model CM-SB. Second choice would be the HP-SB, which is one step down from the CM-SB.  These are both side cup models and contrary to the "OLD DOGS" they work just fine. The reason I like them is they are the highest quality I have used to date, very precision instruments. I have several other brands that do work, but not with the same outcome or results. They (the Iwata's) also spray water based with the ease of laquer, again contrary to what the "OLD DOGS" preach. The following is a quote from an earlier post "On the right track?" Very interesting reading I might add.

I would like to see the videotaped showdown........those who claim they can get as fine a line and dots with water based paint versus lacquer.......on the ultimate tough surface......glass fish eyes. Doc Holliday......you still out there???

The picture posted below shows the fine spots that can be achieved using water based products. Some people like laquer , some like water based. That doesn't make one better than the other and I don't understand why there is the insistence that laquer is superior. I believe for detail, waterbased is superior based on the fact that  if layered in the correct way, if a mistake is made, you can simply wipe it away with the proper solution without any damage to the underlying paint. Maybe these "OLD DOGS" are SO GOOD that they don't make mistakes, but after 20 plus years of painting and airbrushing I still do on a regular basis. My experience with laquer, when a mistake is made you are kind of stuck with it.

* spots.jpg (3.6 kB, 158x77 - viewed 686 times.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 11:32:09 AM by Pescado » Logged

Paul Borkowski
Blue Ribbon Taxidermy & Supply
Agawa Canyon Outfitters, LTD.
Mark V.
Silver Member

Chinook Salmon replica

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:14:01 AM »

1.What is the lowest price per inch you know of in your area? I think in the 5.00 per inch area would be the lowest.

2.What is the highest price in your area? Not sure on this one maybe 9.50-10.00 on skin mounts

3.Where do you fall in this batch and why? 9.95 for skin mounts and 14.00 for replica fish

4.Do you think the person with the highest does the best work or the one with the lowest price does the poorest work? What are your observations on this? Not real sure

5.How do you help or inform a customer who is thinking about a reproduction for the first time? What do you say to sell them on this option? Selling points are they last longer won't fade or crack. No shrinkage from drying. Still can be a hard sell sometimes.

6.As it is in taxidermy today not unlike years past how do you over come a customer who tells you about some part timer who can do their work for cost or free? As a professional taxidermist how do you handle this? Go for it is what I may say. They got a 50-50 chance of getting a decent job. If it turns out thats great.

7.As a part timer do you feel you should charge as much as the full timer? What is your process for making this decision? Absolutely. The thing is you do alot of cheaper work in the beggining and people will always expect it.

8.What is your favorite airbrush and why? What dopes it do that others you have owned do not? I use Paasche VL airbrushes.

9.Are you a member of the NTA? If yes why? If no what would you say to a customer if they asked? No I am not and I have never been asked if I was. Most people may have never heard of the NTA.

Bonus Question
10.What is the real difference between what your customer gets and what you would consider competition work? More paintwise than mechanical. I may do alot more scale tipping and such on a competition piece.
From beginners to the seasoned pro's every one contributes and all benefit from your great experiences!

My Best and have fun with this!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451
Michelle Nelson's Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Bring on the Bears!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 11:36:01 AM »

Skin Mounts $6, Saltwater Fish $12, Reproductions $11.  From what I have seen all over Florida.

Skin Mounts $10, Saltwater Fish $15, Reproductions $15.  From what i have seen all over Florida.

Skin Mounts $10, Saltwater $12, Reproductions $13.  I think in my genneral area I am on the higher end.

Havn't realy seen a whole lot of other taxidermists work.

5.How do you help or inform a customer who is thinking about a reproduction for the first time? What do you say to sell them on this option?  Have not had anyone ask me for one but I let them know what their options are.

I have realy never had anyone that rude call me.  I think me answer would be the same as everyone else.  Why are you calling me and why don't you take it to them. 

7.As a part timer do you feel you should charge as much as the full timer? What is your process for making this decision?

Yes I should get to carge the same as a full timer.  Just because someone is part time doesn't make the work any easier.

I have only used a pasche VL Double Action.  I like it, I have used it for 4 years.

No, Have never realy looked into haw to become a member.

Bonus Question
10.What is the real difference between what your customer gets and what you would consider competition work?

Skin Mounts are finnished on one side with the back side hit and miss detail to kinda blend it in.  If they want both sides finnished than they pay extra.  I don't cut corners and I give them the best job I can.

Play stupid games. . . Win stupid prizes!
Cory
Gold Member

Keep an eye on quality!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 12:05:10 PM »

Hi Rick,Cory from KS here.  Thought I would jump on and answer this morning.                                                                                                                                                                             1.What is the lowest price per inch you know of in your area? $4/inch

2.What is the highest price in your area?$15/inch

3.Where do you fall in this batch and why?$15?inch-I feel my work is the best in my area.

4.Do you think the person with the highest does the best work or the one with the lowest price does the poorest work? What are your observations on this?Some of the low price work is ok, but they are afraid of losing work if they raise their prices

5.How do you help or inform a customer who is thinking about a reproduction for the first time? What do you say to sell them on this option? The length the repro will last and durability are a good sale.

6.As it is in taxidermy today not unlike years past how do you over come a customer who tells you about some part timer who can do their work for cost or free? As a professional taxidermist how do you handle this?  Just show them some of the differences in their work as opposed to yours-if they are still not sold, tell them if the other gutys work looks fine to them, have them mount their trophy (normally they will come back to you or have you do it anyways.)  I feel a lot of customers like to ask this question just to see if you will come down in prices any.

7.As a part timer do you feel you should charge as much as the full timer? What is your process for making this decision?As much if not more.  If you have a day job, you need to make sure you are making on "your overtime" quite a bit more than your day job would pay you in overtime pay.

8.What is your favorite airbrush and why? What dopes it do that others you have owned do not? IWATA-feels great, performance is as good as some cheaper ones, but this airbrush doesn't feel cheap, I guess that gives me confidence.  Although after taking lessons with Ricky Krane, I doubt very many know how to airbrush correctly.

9.Are you a member of the NTA? If yes why? If no what would you say to a customer if they asked?NO-Don't necessarily agree with their requirements for state associations, feel it would hurt our state level. I am and have always been a state member.

Bonus Question
10.What is the real difference between what your customer gets and what you would consider competition work?  Not much, I take just a little more time knowing a "trained" eye will be looking at the piece, not "joe fisherman".

\"QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY\"
John C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 12:15:03 PM »

$5.00 per inch

$11.00 per inch

$8.50 per inch. I live where most of the people are logging for a living or work in the sawmills. These are poor hillbillys that don't have a lot of money. Many must make payments or they could not afford taxidermy.

No the highest priced taxidermist does not do the best work, just barely average quality. Yes, the poorest is pretty much in line with the lowest rpice.

Fiberglass is forever.  You don't need to worry about anything eating it, its just like a boat its going to last forever in your house!

Shop around for quality, does the mount have the correct shape, is there a big bump, is the a bump in the tail where it attaches and if its a bass is the anal opening on the side or where  it should be?

Lastly I tell them you are paying me for being a expert, my proof of being an experct is the awards I have won, with world reknowned taxidermist juding my work.

I use a modified Pa. VL, I changed some things with the design of the aircaps and needles.

Yes, Lifetime member #118, it allows me to continue my taxidermy education.

Bonus Question

Most of my work with place high 3rd to middle 2nd place in the professional division, when it goes to the customer
I took a 1st place with a clients fish at the NTA in 1986 or so. the client did not care about me earning the ribbon they just wanted the belly bigger.

One year back in the mid 80's I did a small walleye, hade it setting around for a couple months unfinished about three days before a show a noted taxidermist made me a bet with the fish. I took Best of Catagory at the Southern Regionals back when it was a big show. Thats  fish was a customers.

I have to do everything to a higher standard I feel, I spend extra time on the epoxy work and painting. I have not been casting the fins on mount but have started to develope my own system and will increase the cast pieces as I get better.

20% Share holder Advanced Marine Performance, LLC, Hydro hull design engineer Vexus Boats.
Monty Artrip
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 03:11:46 PM »

1.What is the lowest price per inch you know of in your area? $8.00

2.What is the highest price in your area? $15.00

3.Where do you fall in this batch and why? At the top, I feel I put a lot of extra work into each fish and can justify the cost.

4.Do you think the person with the highest does the best work or the one with the lowest price does the poorest work? What are your observations on this? I have not really seen everyones fish, but I have seen the highest priced deer with the worst quality. I have NEVER saw the lowest price have the highest quality on anything.

5.How do you help or inform a customer who is thinking about a reproduction for the first time? What do you say to sell them on this option? I show them a couple and explain how the new ones are much better than the first ones. Many don't understand until you tell them that the repro is molded from an actual fish.  I have no idea how they think they are made.

6.As it is in taxidermy today not unlike years past how do you over come a customer who tells you about some part timer who can do their work for cost or free? As a professional taxidermist how do you handle this? I just politely tell them my price and invite them to come out and look at my work before making a decision.

7.As a part timer do you feel you should charge as much as the full timer? What is your process for making this decision? This is a sore spot with me. I work a full time job with overtime, so why would my extra time not be worth as much as a full timers? Some have tried to draw a connection of low quality to part time on this site before. This may be true in some cases, not mine.  I am sure there are full time taxidermist who put out low quality work. 
8.What is your favorite airbrush and why? What dopes it do that others you have owned do not? I use an Iwata hp-bc mostly, but I have learned that the user and keeping them clean is what is most important. I have found the Paashe single action to be great for spots and easy to use.

9.Are you a member of the NTA? If yes why? If no what would you say to a customer if they asked? No, but I am joining this year and competing at their show for the first time. I look forward to belonging. 

Bonus Question
10.What is the real difference between what your customer gets and what you would consider competition work? The amount of time you put into the fish or the total piece. I spend hours on very small details that a customer would not benefit from. The paint job on the show side will be pretty much the same (tipping, powders, etc.). The seam on the back of my customer fish is finished and wall side is painted. Wall side looks nice, but not same detail. I don't agree with people who don't finish the wall side as it is the first thing most will look at to see where the fish was cut. This is a direct reflection on your quality and does not require a lot of extra time. 

hunterray2002
Gold Member

http://www.finandfoto.com

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 03:53:22 PM »

I'm gonna hold from answering anything today. I jsut wanted to say that I am looking forward to meeting the man thats given me a big leap on my work by disscussion and phone conversations.     Thanks Rich . looking forward to meting you at the PTA convention.       Ray

hunterray2002
jwj4856
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 03:55:54 PM »

$5.00 skin and $8.00 repro

$15.00 skin and $18.00 repro

I am in the upper 75 percent as I feel this is a good medium for this area.

One with the highest definitely does not do the best work, his mounting is almost perfect but his painting is crap and the on with the lowest that I know is does pretty good work for commercial mounts, he has a pretty good paint job on most all of his fish.

5.How do you help or inform a customer who is thinking about a reproduction for the first time? What do you say to sell them on this option?I just tell them of the advantages of the catch and release and life expectancy of repros and let them look at my display mounts, both skin and repros,  and judge for themselves.

6.As it is in taxidermy today not unlike years past how do you over come a customer who tells you about some part timer who can do their work for cost or free? As a professional taxidermist how do you handle this?I just simply tell him to look at my mounts and then look at his and decide whichever he wants to look at on his wall, dont hurt my feelings either way.

7.As a part timer do you feel you should charge as much as the full timer? What is your process for making this decision?Part time or full time I dont see any difference in what to charge because to me it is the quality in the product that says what to charge.

I use 3 in my shop a pasche single action, a pasche double action, and an Iwata HP-BC double, each has its own job and does it well, If I had to pick one as the best and only one I would have I would have to say the Iwata.

Yes I am a member because I feel we need the organization to help the profession prosper.

Bonus Question
Only difference is maybe just a little more finishing on the seams and possible a little more detail on the paint on the back side, all my fish are painted on backside, maybe not as much detail but still painted, In my opinion it came in to me with color on both sides so it leaves my shop painted on both sides.

Double J Taxidermy
Shreveport, LA
Chad See
Silver Member

Certified "Fish Head"

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 08:41:44 PM »

1. I am not really sure, but before I got into the business, I had a fish done for $5 an inch. 

2. Highest that I know of is $15.

3. I am at $12 and at that rate, I feel I am making ok money. 

4. It has been my experience that you get what you pay for and in my area, price certainly reflects quality.

5. I really dont have a lot of demand for repros here in my area, most guys want skin mounts.  Those that do want repros usually know so before hand and no "selling" is required.

6. Well, I am still a bit of a part timer myself but I sure dont fall into the category of "do it for cost or free!"  I encourage all of my customers to visit all the local taxidermists and see their work before committing to any one of them.  This way, they know what quality is available and the price that is associated with that quality.  I then tell customers to buy the best quality they can afford.  If they can afford the "lexus" of taxidermy, by all means, buy that.  However, if all they can afford is the "geo metro" then that is what they will get.  Personally, I dont beg for work, and I dont lower my prices to get work in.  I pride myself on quality and expect to be paid for that quality.  That is usually what I tell my clients and most understand that.  I guess the way I look at it is they can see the work, they know the cost, if they like it we fill out paper work, if they dont, they can take it to the "cost or free"guy. 

7. Absolutly!  We should probably charge more because we dont have as big of a work load!!  If I had more work, I would be full time!!  LOL!!!  Seriously, the only difference in my work and that of a full timer is the number of mounts I do in a year.  In all reality, my work is actually better than a lot of full timers in my area, but they are cheaper, hense they are full time and I am not.  It's hard for people to understand why the "new guy" is charging more than the guy that has been around for 100 years!  Anways, quality is what it is about, not whether or not you do this full time or not.

8.  I own an Iwata Eclipse, BCS and it is really the only brush I have ever used.  Did use some Paashe's at school, but just liked the detail work of the Iwata better. 

9. I am not a member, as for why, it is really just something that I have never really thought that much about.  I know it helps the industry and I have no excuse not to joining.  I am a member of my state association though.  

Bonus Question

10.  Honestly, I try to give my customers the same thing I give the judges.  The only real difference would be the amount of time I put into my scale tipping.  I try to do the best I can for every customer. 
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 09:18:45 PM »

AWSOME answers this week!!!! Man I read it all a few times! I thank all of you and Hey Monty!!!!  Hey Cory!!!!  Hey Chad !!!! Love it when the old gang of AA fish guys chimes in! I thank all of you this week for taking the time to share!

Rick

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

http://anglersartistry.com
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 46 « previous next »
Jump to: