Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 48
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2019, 03:20:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 48 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 48  (Read 4374 times)
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WWW Email
« on: January 20, 2007, 11:10:02 PM »

Week 48

Hey Gang!!! Week 48 and 4 more to go! This weeks questions are a mix of some tough and some simple but useful to others. Try and make sure you give # 10 a shot. I hope this weeks question helps you in some small way even if it is to help others!
A few more thanks go out to my old friends UFD Dave Campbell And Fishwork  Ken Darville! You guys always help others in the things you say and do! Thank you!

I sure hope this week's contribution of fish food for thought shares some entertainment and knowledge for you.

I thank you and WASCO for letting me share in my passion "FISH! As long as you keep answering the questions, I will keep writing them.

So with out further ado! Lets Get the morning stared to a new week with some fish taxidermy talk! The good people at WASCO give us the free opportunity here to share information so we can be better-informed taxidermist! So in the spirit of WASCO generosity we share freely with each other!

Answer what you can!

1. What made you get in to taxidermy?

2. Why fish taxidermy?

3. How do you determine the shape(C curve S curve etc.) a fish will be in when preparing to mount a fish?

4. What is the first color you put down when staring a Bass?

5. What was the toughest fish you have ever mounted and what made it tough for you?

6. Have you ever tried or mounted a 360-degree fish? What were some of the obstacles you could share with some one who never has but is about too?

7. Is an Esox a warm or cold water fish species? Why?

8. Is a steelhead a trout or a Salmon? Why?

9. A customer tells you he will give you a fish to mount however they are looking for cash discount what would you do and why?

Bonus Question
10.  Tell us about your Mom or Dad or grandparent or who ever you want who was an inspirational force in your life that took time to teach you or show you nature?
From beginners to the seasoned pro's every one contributes and all benefit from your great experiences!

My Best and have fun with this!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

http://anglersartistry.com
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
Chad See
Silver Member

Certified "Fish Head"

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 12:26:43 AM »

1. Well, this is pretty simple.  I had a few things mounted and they for one, didn't look real, and for two, the didnt last long at all.  I paid good money for those mounts and got a far less than satisfactory product.  I have always been artistic and felt I could do a better job myself.  So, here I am, doing a better job myself!  OR at least trying to anyways.

2. Why fish taxidermy?

2. I am not a total fish head.  I do all aspects of taxidermy.  Fish are pretty much my favorite though.  I have always been an avid fisherman and fish will always hold a special place in my life. 

3. How do you determine the shape(C curve S curve etc.) a fish will be in when preparing to mount a fish?

3. For me, it really depends on what the fish is going to be doing.  If I am just doing a wall mount that is not really an action pose, I just do what I feel that day.  If I am doing an action pose, I try to shape the fish in a manner that is pleasing to the eye as well as accurate for what I am depicting.  

4. White is normall the first color I use on my bass. 

5. What was the toughest fish you have ever mounted and what made it tough for you?

5. I did a 23inch palomino that was pedistal mounted.  (It's the one in my avatar)  It was my first pedistal and my second palomino, also my first attempt to scale tip anything.  Lots of first made that one tough fish, also my first time using cast fins.  It turned out ok, but was challenging on many levels.  

6. Have you ever tried or mounted a 360-degree fish? What were some of the obstacles you could share with some one who never has but is about too?

6. Yes, Blending the seam was the toughest part for me, that and skinning the fish so as not to lose to many scales.  For anyone attemping their first one, I would say to take it slow and remember that it really isnt all that different than doing a one sided fish.  

7. It is a warm water fish. As for why, all I know is that it refers to musky and pike.

8. A steelhead is a trout.  Hmm, again, I am no good at this "why" business.  LOL... not much of an essay kind of guy I guess.

9. A customer tells you he will give you a fish to mount however they are looking for cash discount what would you do and why?

9.Ok, after rereading this, I think I misinterpreted the question the first time.  If the customers is offering to give me a fish for myself to mount in exchange for a future discount, that will usually happen, providing that the fish he is going to give me is something that I couldn't easily obtain myself.  However, if the guy is just saying he will use me to do his mount if I give him a discount, well, that guy can keep on looking.  Those who ask for discounts dont get them.

Bonus Question
10.  Tell us about your Mom or Dad or grandparent or who ever you want who was an inspirational force in your life that took time to teach you or show you nature?

10.  Talk about a tough question.  There have been several members of my family who played a major role in getting me where I am today, but I will take this time to honor my grandpa.  My grandpa used to take me trout fishing; deer, turkey, and squirrel hunting.  More than taking me out in the field, he taught me how to be a good sportsman.  He told me stories from when he was younger and retold stories of bucks and fishes of long ago.  While I heard the stories dozens of times, I never got tired of them and always found something inspirational in our talks.  About a year ago, my "Pap" was diagnosed with colon cancer.  He fought it off and was clear for about a month.  Then, about 3 months ago, they found more cancer.  The doctor told him that with treatment he would have about a year to a year and a half and without the treatment, 6 months or so.  In the spirit of giving a little back, my cousin and I took Pap on a trip out west.  He had been there many years ago and wanted to do it one last time.  We didnt hunt or fish any while we were there, but we saw a lot of game and some beautiful country.  Just to show that God works in mysterious ways, this deer season here in WV, my Pap stopped at my parents house on his way for a treatment and out walked a huge buck I had been hunting.  Two shots later, he had him tagged.   It may very well be the last buck he ever shoots and NO BETTER person could have taken that deer.  I just finished the mount for him the other day and he was very pleased with it.  There is no doubt that every time I take to the woods or the water, that he is going to be with me, whether he is here or not.  

Keep him in your prayers.

Earl Sharp
With his fine WV buck.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:38:37 AM by Chad See » Logged
Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:57:50 AM »

1. What made you get in to taxidermy? It started as a kid from a neighbor but carpentry was in my blood so I went there till one day I got into a car wreck and had to change my life so it was back to taxidermy.

2. Why fish taxidermy? It's the hardest of all to recreate.

It's my choice usually and I go with what I feel that day.

4. What is the first color you put down when staring a Bass? Charcoal to fix all epoxy and cover the artificial head.

5. What was the toughest fish you have ever mounted and what made it tough for you? None to this date but I will say any that have lost half there scales due to poor clientele's handling.

6. Have you ever tried or mounted a 360-degree fish? Yes
What were some of the obstacles you could share with some one who never has but is about too? One of the most is the seam work. It seams that's always the problem. So it becomes take you time filling the area with epoxy, I sand when it's needed and add more where needed. Then it's detail. On a scaled fish I usually just hand paint the scales back in.

7. Is an Esox a warm or cold water fish species? Warm
 Why? The degree of temperature they can live in.

8. Is a steelhead a trout or a Salmon? Why? It's a Rainbow trout that is able to live in a lake or ocean and then spawns in a river. This is just a simple way of explaining it.

9. A customer tells you he will give you a fish to mount however they are looking for cash discount what would you do and why? What reason do you want a discount for do you see a blue light on in my shop? Then say what would you like me to omit so I can give you a discount. The only way I may offer a discount is the clientele a person brings into me or they have spent over $7,000 or more with me. Then I may offer one to them to so I'm grateful to them and how well they have treated me and my business. They never asked for one I just give it to them.

Bonus Question
10.  Tell us about your Mom or Dad or grandparent or who ever you want who was an inspirational force in your life that took time to teach you or show you nature? In plain words, it was Dad who was always there and still is to this day. I'm lucky..........

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
Pescado
Platinum Member

Biggest in 2011

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:21:21 AM »

I can not pin it to any one thing. I have always had an interest in it as long as I can remember.

2. Why fish taxidermy?

I love to fish. Fishing is the best therapy there is, period. So I guess fish taxidermy follows that train of thought.

Larger , longer fish I tend to talk the client into a slight S-curve, as I feel that is the way they look best on the wall. Shorter fish I try to push them towards a reverse C-curve, as this tends to give the illusion of a longer fish. The in-between fish I let the customer decide without too much leading them one way or the other.

Black (rub n buff) on a skin mount.

Well I haven't finished it yet, but have been wrestling with a 50" musky. It's more like skinning out a mammal, lol. Carving the body was a blast as well. I'm glad I only average about 1 every 10 years.

Yes I have. The best advice I can give is PRECISE body carving. I even carve the body a bit smaller than necessary, and once on the form I add some glue to fill any voids.

I consider them cold water (when I price them).  I do believe they prefer cooler water. I guess I would consider them a "cool water species".

It's a salmon that called a trout. Biologists consider the rainbow more closely akin to the Pacific salmons.The rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), is a species of Pacific salmon. The information came from online sources.

I would close the cover on the big red button and tell him  " no deal"

Bonus Question

My dad and uncle were fishing fanatics. They got me started while I was still in diapers. My uncle died last year and is hitting the big pond in the sky. My folks still fish on a regular basis, both are over eighty years old. My mom has bad knees and loves to wade fish. She has an easier time walking in waste deep water than on dry ground. I think it called the buoyancy factor,lol.

Paul Borkowski
Blue Ribbon Taxidermy & Supply
Agawa Canyon Outfitters, LTD.
JP a.k.a Taxi-lover
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 10:02:38 AM »

Me and my father are really keen hunters and fishermens and I always wanted to save something from our trips and photo from succesful huntingtrip wasn't enough! First we got our trophies made in local taxidermists, but his work was so awfull I wanted to start doing "better" mounts by myself. Thats how i begun doing taxidermy..
2. Why fish taxidermy?
I started doing fishtaxidermy just few years ago, I've drypreserved my pike heads before and the more I learned about taxidermy the more I wanted to do fish..
If customer doesn't give me instructions about pose, I do what i feel good for that species. Usually there's some curve on my fish, I like s-curve very much or radical c-curve.
 haven't done any, but I hope I have time to do a carving someday...
I think it was that first grayling..it was a skinmount and those scales were delicate..
Yes I've done and personally I like them more than wall mounts. There's little more paintin thought, but I still like it more..
Cold.
A trout. Like a rainbow is... ???
-
Bonus Question
From beginners to the seasoned pro's every one contributes and all benefit from your great experiences!
My father and grandpa. My father is still an keen hunter and he has taken me with hunting and fishing when I was just a four years old. He thought me very much about nature and has been a real inspiration to me as a hunter and fisher. I was with him in moosehuntin when I was ten and have been a moose hunter from that on.

I have a dream...more trophies on my wall!
John C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 10:03:26 AM »

Two part answer.

As a kid is was at awe in the animals I was able to view in the business just  down the street from where my mom worked. She worked on Broadway in Denver CO. at Cullin-Thompson Cadillac. Old dealership. That business was Jonas Bros. I remember an old bald man in a white lab coat and a accent. from that point on  as a kid I wanted to "hammer a fish on a board."

The final reason was I went to Canada fishing way back  when, the taxidermist I took my fish to was pretty much one of the worst hax anyone could meet. He really screwed my pike up. From that day on I never looked back. Part of the HAX poor quality was I did not know there was a difference in QUALITY!

2. Why fish taxidermy?

Reason number two above. I love to fish and always am amazed at the difference in fish to fish.

I keep in mind the client is paying for the mount and wants to see his fish at its best. Clients don't understand how the fish work and want action in most cases. So I look at the fish and make the pattern as best to show off  the fish.
I pose the fish and look at it, then trace the pattern off.

When starting a fish any fish I tint the repaired areas.  The white.

Arwanna and moon eye, pretty hard to skin and scales poop out real easy.

Getting the fins where they belong and making the fish flow. To look fluid.  The fins have to be in the right place and look as they belong in the mount.  Not electrified. Each fin has a function and form must follow function. I see alot of fin with fins missplaced. In some species the fin gives you the ultimate clue, it  has color and those colors tell what the fin does. Some fins are where they are for purpose

Cold water fish, I don't know why they just are, with the exception of chain pickerel and grass pike are warm water fish.

Its a sea run rainbow trout, I hear guides and educated anglers making claims they caught a steelhead from the local rivers, now way it may be a bright fish or even a spawning male, but our local trout cannot make it to the salt water to be a true steelhead.

Sorry I can't do discounts, you are paying me for my experience and talent, I am not a beginner  if you want lesser quality you can take it else where.

Bonus Question

My Dad's dad,  He trapped and fished  and never had any money to speak of but he was the happiest man I ever knew,   he always made time to visit and tell his fishing stories. He knew most of the old TV fishermen.

He also guided on Table Rock when it was a new lake, worked as a guide on White River before Bull Shoals dam.

He guided for many years but when Table Rock was NEW he guided 1123 days straight.  I still have his books where he recorded who he took out and what they caught, the weather and the lure.

Gold bug spinner baits and Heddon Midget Digit and River Runt were hot lures, then as plastic baits he liked a 12 inch black plastic worm. There was truck stop at Omaha AR. Toad as many knew him by had many bass over 10 lbs on the wall, the ruck stop burned some years back and the fish were  destroyed.

20% Share holder Advanced Marine Performance, LLC, Hydro hull design engineer Vexus Boats.
Monty Artrip
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 02:04:39 PM »

1. What made you get in to taxidermy? That is an easy one. I had my first fish mounted, 10 lb walleye, which was kind of a goal as far as catching one. I knew that I wanted other fish mounted, but could not afford it at the time.  I decided I was going to learn myself, and a local guy helped me get started.

2. Why fish taxidermy? I started out doing all aspects of taxidermy, but soon found out fish were my main interest. I also do it part time and don't have to rely on taxidermy  to make a living.

3. How do you determine the shape(C curve S curve etc.) a fish will be in when preparing to mount a fish? I  determine that in talking with the customer. Show them pics of previous mounts and help them decide.

4. What is the first color you put down when staring a Bass? I do all the white first.

5. What was the toughest fish you have ever mounted and what made it tough for you? Probably the first few crappies due to scale lost. My current way of doing this works great for me but I realized real quick that I would need to make some changes.

6. Have you ever tried or mounted a 360-degree fish? What were some of the obstacles you could share with some one who never has but is about too? Symetry. Everything must be identicle between the two sides.
7. Is an Esox a warm or cold water fish species? Why? I consider them a warmwater fish as they can tolerate warmer temps in some situations.

8. Is a steelhead a trout or a Salmon? Why? I consider it an adronomous rainbow trout.
9. A customer tells you he will give you a fish to mount however they are looking for cash discount what would you do and why? I guess that would depend on what it was and how bad I wanted it.  I have never had this happen to date.

Bonus Question
10.  Tell us about your Mom or Dad or grandparent or who ever you want who was an inspirational force in your life that took time to teach you or show you nature?  That would have to be my brother. We fished together constantly when were younger(sometimes up to 7 days a week!) as we grew up around a lot of water. He is a few years older and always took me along even if he was with his older friends. He was and still is one of the most talented fishermen I have ever met.

UFD
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 02:23:54 PM »

1. As a kid I was always into craft-type things like tying fishing flies, building plastic models, woodworking, etc.  Fishing was also a huge part of my life, and I managed to catch a nice Largemouth Bass when I was twelve that my parents had mounted for me.  Before that time I dont even think I was that aware of what taxidermy was, but after I got the fish back from the taxidermist, it didnt take long and I was on a mission to learn how fish taxidermy was done.  Less than a year later, using information from a book and observations from my mounted Bass, I took apart a 9 Bass and put it back together using materials from around the house and garage.  That is all it took to light the fire.

2. To me, taxidermy is a means to an end.  I think that the taxidermy part is an obvious extension for my creative side, but I really think this question should be more from the angle of Why fish?  To that question I would have to say that fish have kind of a unique draw of a mystical nature because they inhabit an environment that is a very mysterious world to understand for a terrestrial being such as us humans.  Oh well, enough of the BS, I suppose it is because fish are pretty cool!

3. I give my client the choice in what position they want their fish in, but I do advise them that an S-curve is a swimming position and a C-curve is a turning position.   (But depending upon current flow patterns, a fish could also exhibit either curve while stabilizing itself in that current so that it expends the least amount of energy, i.e. resting, even though we might think and be correct for the most part that a resting fish would most likely be straight.)  I must admit that I do like the visual impression of motion that an S-curve gives, and Ill usually go that route if they say for me to make the choice.  I will also get a feel for what the client thinks about the shape of their fish and what feature they would most like to show off, and then Ill advise them as to what position will most likely feature it the best.  Some times a certain shape of fish will really lend itself to a certain curve, and if the client gives me the choice Ill make sure to take that into account before making a final decision.

4. The first color that I put on a Bass when painting is usually a dark brown or dark green to tie in any epoxy work on a skin mount or as a base color to buff on a reproduction cast.

5.  Ive done a number of projects that were not necessarily by the book and took a little bit of ingenuity, such as large Sturgeon and Ling Cod skin mounts, fish that were brought to me with heads and tails removed, scaled and/or gutted, modifying a fish cast with non-spawning characteristics to one with spawning characteristics such as ridged backs, etc.  I cant really say that I found any particular one more difficult than another.  I do like a challenge once in a while to help keep things fresh and to further learning, and if someone is willing to pay my price quote to do something the hard way instead of the easy way, Ill usually take the challenge (even if it means that I may have misquoted my time and I end up using my dime to complete the project LOL!).

6. I have done a number of 360-degree pedestal mounts over the years.  Having the seam line up and with proper lateral line orientation is very important so you have to be very close with your measurements AND anatomy of the original fish.  The top/bottom profile of the pedestal mount is every bit as important as the side profile.  Using a method and material that will keep the seam together without any cracking over a period of time is important, as is a texturing process that will match the nearby scale texture in a believable manner.  It is also important when painting to keep checking from side to side so that the color transitions and features line up relatively equal from side to side.

7. Personally I try to categorize the Esocids separate from either a typical warm or cold water fish, although if I had to I would classify them as a cold water fish.  By classing them in regards to ichthyology, they are more closely related to a salmon or trout than to a bass or perch based upon a number of features such as jaw type (both the premaxillary and maxillary are in-line with the margin of the mouth opening), body layout, placement of their paired fins, type of scales, type of swim bladder, and a some other features.

8. Other than Steelhead and Rainbow Trout being for all purposes the same fish other than migrational spawning behavior, most of the traditional Pacific coastal derived trout have been reclassified from being their own separate line to one that is more closely related to the Pacific salmon lineage.  This was studied and arrived at through genetic electrophoresis, which showed some remarkably similar traits.  So a Steelhead/Rainbow Trout could be considered more similar to a Pacific Salmon than a Brown Trout, but then on the same level an Atlantic Salmon could also be considered closely related to a Brown Trout.  But hey, whats in a name?

9. I have handled this differently over the years, and I can understand why a person might want a deal of some sort, but anymore I try to explain that what I do is a custom approach with a lot of variables and with myself being the manufacturer of the goods (re-manufacturer in the case of skin mounts LOL) and not a reseller, they are priced at the point where there is no margin for discounts (which is every bit a truthful statement).  Ill usually thank them for their interest and then move along so as to not take up any more of either of our time, but sometimes they will reconsider their need for a discount and end up commissioning their fish to me anyway.

10.  My Dad and I use to do as much fishing as he could fit into his work schedule when I was a kid, and that was awesome.  The geeky thing is that I was a fish fanatic back then and studied about fish and fishing as much as I could, so we pretty much learned and fed off of each others enthusiasm on our fishing trips.  My Mom, though, was what I would call a great enabler.  She didnt sit back and wait for things to happen, she did what was needed so that they would happen, and was most likely the most generous person I have ever known.  She would do the absolute most possible with the absolute least, and that was impressive because our family and my parents never really had much of a bottom line.  She doled out encouragement in huge slices, and did what she could to help her kids aspirations come about, all the while being well grounded in reality.  The very best character traits that I may have I learned from her.  I have always joked about quitting fish taxidermy and getting a real job, but one day less than a year before she passed, we were talking and I joked about that same thing (probably after dealing with something frustrating) and she said, No, I think you are doing what you were meant to do.  That meant a lot coming from her, because I always had an inkling of an impression that she thought I could have accomplished more doing something else more noble or useful to humanity.
FishArt
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 05:00:33 PM »

1. I've always had some interest in Fish Taxidermy. But it was being laid off from my job that forced me into thinking about it.
2. Fish Taxidermy because it seemed the most challenging to me. And mostly, I get to paint.
3. Usually I let the customer be the driving force here. Most choose a traditional "up and out". If they don't care and ask me to pick I usualy wait until I take the tracing and wing it from there. Some fish look better in certain positions and I can't tell until I thaw out the fish. I RARELY recommend an "S-curve" unless the customer requests it. Reason being is for me they're more time consuming to carve the body.
4. Well, after blending epoxies the first color I usually lay down is silver. But, sometimes gold. Actually most bass around here get a silver base from the belly up and then gold in the upper section.
5. Two crappies for one customer. The son of a bucks were popping scales like there was no tomorrow! I found out later that the customer "forgot to tell me" that his freezer went and they were possibly bad. (The smell was the tell-tale sign - lol!) The worst part was the scales were randomly missing - about 50 on each fish. So, instead of a nice "patch" I had to do little balls of epoxy for every scale for TWO stinkin fish!!!! The fish turned out surprisingly well actually!!!
6. Don't laugh, but I think the hardest part about 360 degree mounts is working on them. To clarify, I mean getting a holder into them that won't affect the final positioning on d-wood (eg). Don't want any extra work here.  AND also being able to work on them from all angles. A lot of thought has to go into the whole project BEFORE starting. Sometiimes the driftwood piece will designate where the seam and/or attachment points are. It might even designate the positioning of the fish. Nothing like sifting through hundreds of pieces of driftwood AFTER the fact trying to backfit the mount to it - lol! I usually end up with only 1 or 2 attachment points in my holder and it also makes for a relatively unstable mount to work on.
7.&8. Don't know and don't care - lol!
9. My answer to this one would be "I can't legally buy, barter or offer cash discounts for fish. I appreciate the offer and your business and sure would appreciate the specimen. But the DNR strictly prohibits this. I do however offer a discount for multiple mounts if you also wanted this fish mounted for yourself"...
10. Bonus: My mom taught me to bobber fish in Indiana on a lake where my grandmother had a trailer. I actually spent many summers there with my grandmother when I was old enough. Manytimes, I'd fish from morning until bedtime I loved it so much. Slowly building up my tackle box and trying new methods I learned from Virgil Ward's Fishing Show and Fishing Facts magazines. I still know that silly song he had for his show - lol! Later on, I actually got my dad and brother hooked on fishing and we spent many a summer weeks fishing in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri and also back at my Grams trailer. Brings back some fond memories!!!

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Fish Specialties Taxidermy LLC
Various Locations
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 48 « previous next »
Jump to: