Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 51
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2019, 02:22:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 51 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 51  (Read 4952 times)
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WWW Email
« on: February 11, 2007, 11:35:57 AM »

Sunday morning questions 51

Good morning! One week left! The SMQs have been a lot of fun for me and I only hope a great experience to learn a few new things. I want to take this opportunity to thank every one who has contributed and participated in the SMQs. I wondered at what point would I run out of questions and it was hard some weeks but there are always question to be asked and I hope folks continue with great passion to ask them and share answers to the good folks who spend there time here!

I sure hope this week's contribution of fish food for thought shares some entertainment and knowledge for you.

I thank you and WASCO for letting me share in my passion "FISH! As long as you keep answering the questions, I will keep writing them.

So with out further ado! Lets Get the morning stared to a new week with some fish taxidermy talk! The good people at WASCO give us the free opportunity here to share information so we can be better-informed taxidermist! So in the spirit of WASCO generosity we share freely with each other!

Answer what you can!

1. What makes for a good paint job?

2. What is the one thing that you first admire when you see a good mount? Is color, anatomy, etc? Tell us what you like the most.

3. Whats the latest thing you learned that is cool to you?

4. What do you look at when breaking down a paint schedule? How do you determine what colors to use and what goes fist to last?

5. Tell us about your best customer and why is this person the best in your opinion.

6. How do you keep a good customer?

7. Tell us about how you notify a customer when a fish is completed?

8. Down payments how are on these? How much do you ask for and would you settle for less?

9. How long do you let fish dry?

Bonus Question
10. Who have inspired you in your taxidermy career and tell us one story about why?

From beginners to the seasoned pro's every one contributes and all benefit from your great experiences!

My Best and have fun with this!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

http://anglersartistry.com
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
JP a.k.a Taxi-lover
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 11:58:23 AM »

Not too much paint, bright and real colors. Smooth overall appearance.

2. What is the one thing that you first admire when you see a good mount? Is color, anatomy, etc? Tell us what you like the most.

I always pay attention first to painting, then anatomy and after that the whole picture witch contains base etc.

Painting without actual paintschedule!! And new ways to scale tipping.

4. What do you look at when breaking down a paint schedule? How do you determine what colors to use and what goes fist to last?

Base color, tone and then darker colors. Then scale tipping and finally fine tuning of colors.

5. Tell us about your best customer and why is this person the best in your opinion.

I have one customer who always brings biggest fish he caught to me. No matter if I have just mounted same species to him, if he got bigger he brings it to me.

To make best fish yet to him every time!!

I make a phone call.

8. Down payments how are on these? How much do you ask for and would you settle for less?
?

At least two weeks.

Bonus Question
10. Who have inspired you in your taxidermy career and tell us one story about why?
I've been inspired by the all great artist like F. Newmeyer, M. Orthober and K.Walker for example. All the great artist inspire me all time... ;)

I have a dream...more trophies on my wall!
sparkyf
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 12:12:06 PM »

1. What makes for a good paint job?I think a good paint job looks natural and not overpainted.  Lots of depth!  I have been a fisherman all my life, but actually didnt have a clue of the colors a fish holds until I started fish taxi.
[2. What is the one thing that you first admire when you see a good mount? Is color, anatomy, etc? Tell us what you like the most.  Before I went to taxi school, I would have said paint job, but I'v changed my mind to anatomy.  I think good anatomy and a good paint job compliment each other.  I think you must have a some good of both, perfect anatomy wont make up for that terrible paint job, and visa-versa.
3. Whats the latest thing you learned that is cool to you?Figured an easyier way for me to set eyes, and learned how Paul B does his fins, and it really makes a big difference.
4. What do you look at when breaking down a paint schedule? How do you determine what colors to use and what goes fist to last?Still just learning, so its a lot of fly be the seat of my pants.  I cant wait to read what the experts have to say on this.  I know R.K. talks about putting them on in reverse, but?????
5. Tell us about your best customer and why is this person the best in your opinion.No customers yet, so I'd have to say ME!  I want to be good before I take on customers!
6. How do you keep a good customer?Plan on keeping them by doing great work.
7. Tell us about how you notify a customer when a fish is completed?See #5!
8. Down payments how are on these? How much do you ask for and would you settle for less?I'll probably just make it a set # for the size of fish $75 for small fish, $150 for bigger fish.  No, I would not settle for less.
9. How long do you let fish dry?Not sure.  Just mounted a 7/12lb. Saugeye 2 days ago, and used the real head, and I dont feel the head is near dry enough yet.  I just feel the inside of mouth and stuff, and make the decision to what I "think" is dry enough.  My smaller saugers seem to be dry enough in a couple days, even the next day if I have the pellet stove turned up a little.
10. Who have inspired you in your taxidermy career and tell us one story about why?I would definately have to say all the great taxidermests on here are an inspiration.  It only motivates me to get better seeing the great work on this site.  Its also nice to hear people say "Wow-those are great!!" when they come to my garage and look at my mounts.  I'm sure happy costomers will also be inspiring.
Pescado
Platinum Member

Biggest in 2011

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 06:40:18 PM »

Just got back from a trade show, man that is the  part of the outfitting trade I hate,too many people and too many stupid questions! I did book in several hunters for this fall, so I guess it was worth the trip.

Thanks Rick for putting my pictures up on Friday.

Natural look, with depth, or not a "painted look".

Good paint! It makes or breaks a mount.

How great a proto type tube skinning tool I had made a couple years ago works. I just used it (for the first time) on a 20" brookie last week and it worked great. All I did was add some size to my cheek tool (the serrated end) and doubled the length, it made the job too easy.

I never follow a schedule, per say, but do always seem to do the tipping of scales before applying any colors.

I have a friend that I have mounted many, many fish and other things for .Never once did he ask "how much" or "how long" and never ever questioned what I charged him. He has also sent me countless other clients. If I had five of him, I    would have too much work.

Quality job at a reasonable price.

Telephone call.

No deposit policy, except for very large jobs. Never any problems.

At least 30 days up to six months.

Bonus Question

I would have to say God was my inspiration and I thank Him for every fish I catch, because every time I catch a fish I am inspired more and more from the beauty that a freshly caught fish displays. Only He can produce them like that! Some day, not too soon, I hope to learn His secrets.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 09:22:08 PM by Pescado » Logged

Paul Borkowski
Blue Ribbon Taxidermy & Supply
Agawa Canyon Outfitters, LTD.
Chad See
Silver Member

Certified "Fish Head"

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:34:23 PM »

Hey again Rick, thanks for yet another week's worth of questions!  Well, here we go again!

1. Less is more in my book.  I have had the tendency to over paint but feel that fish that area lightly painted with soft, natural markings are far superior to the over painted fish.  Accuracy achieved through soft painting in my eyes makes a great paint job. 

2. I have to admit, I am a paintjob junky.  I like to see accurate natural scale tippings and a nice soft color scheme.  Dont get me wrong, anatomy is key, but I like the paint. 

3. Hmmm.... I just cast my first fins the other day.  Pretty cool in my book. 

4. I guess that I first look for base colors.  What is underlying on the fish.  I then look to see what colors are built on top of the base colors... you know, what is creating the depth.  I guess it all comes back to that whole "paint backwards" thing. 

5. Well, I have not been in business long enough to have a lot of customers, but I do have one that I consider my best.  Not only has be brought me multiple pieces, but he appreciates my quality and doesnt argue with the prices.  He also has recruited lots of work for me from his friends.  What more could a guy ask for?

6. It is in my mind, nice to tell someone they are a good customer.  I make it a point to send christmas cards to my customers.  It is a nice way to show them you appreciate the business and you havent forgotten about them.  I am in the process of getting some hats and shirts made up that I can give to those who are good to me.  Good advertising and people appreciate it.  While I am not accustomed to giving discounts, I will occasionally through in some habitat at no extra charge.

7.  Right now it is mostly by phone call, but as my business grows, I will be sending mailed notification. 

8.  I expect 50% before any work is started.  I dont settle for less, but I will accept payments as long as they are on time and steady until the deposit is reached. 

9  Well, I use cast heads on all my fish and cast fins when needed so I feel that lessens drying time.  Most species I give a few days under the fan and as much as 2 weeks if I feel they need it. 

Bonus Question

10. I think I have been inspired most by nature.  There is so much out there I want to recreate and I just cant get enough of it.  Every time I am on the water and I see a fish sip a fly or an angler net a trout I am inspired.  My personal favorite mount that I have done was a brown trout being netted.  It was something I have seen on stream hundreds of times and I always wanted to recreate it. Every time I see something like that I am inspired.  Every time I see a live fish, I humbled by how far I have to go. 
Monty Artrip
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 10:06:14 PM »

1. What makes for a good paint job? Accuracy of detail, depth, and not being overpainted.

2. What is the one thing that you first admire when you see a good mount? Is color, anatomy, etc? Tell us what you like the most. Along with having good anatomy and color, I like to see and artistic and intriguing concept with scenery.

3. Whats the latest thing you learned that is cool to you? That would have been today, as I reproduced a large perch. It is the first try at a repro and I am estatic at the results with the mold. Can't wait to cast it.

4. What do you look at when breaking down a paint schedule? How do you determine what colors to use and what goes fist to last? I normally lay down the base colors followed by tipping. Last would be blending and details.

5. Tell us about your best customer and why is this person the best in your opinion. My best customers trust my judgemet and pick their fish up on time.

6. How do you keep a good customer? I try to include a little something extra scenery wise and try to do an exceptional job.(not to say I don't try to do this with all customers)
7. Tell us about how you notify a customer when a fish is completed? Always by phone. I make sure I talk to the customer, not a wife,children or answering machine.

8. Down payments how are on these? How much do you ask for and would you settle for less? I always take 50%. If they don't have it, I don't start work until they pay it.

9. How long do you let fish dry? Depends how bad I need the money!LOL
Seriously, fish with repro heads and fins not long, but at least a week. others at least two to three weeks.
Bonus Question
10. Who have inspired you in your taxidermy career and tell us one story about why? My first inspiration was at the first IGT I went to in FT Wayne IN, before I began to compete. Dennis Arp had his well known mount with 3 brookies and I saw it in person. I was already a trout fisherman and that mount blew my mind. I wanted more than anything to be able to do something comparable. I eventually met him and became friends. His encouragement started a desire to compete with coldwater fish and to learn as much as I can about them. I also am very inspired by Rick. His classes have a way of bringing about your best efforts and interest.
Mark V.
Silver Member

Chinook Salmon replica

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »

1. What makes for a good paint job? I think what makes for a good paint job is blending of colors,transparency,depth and nonbluntness in your colors. Alot of colors are overdone espescecially in black and green.

2. What is the one thing that you first admire when you see a good mount? Is color, anatomy, etc? Tell us what you like the most. I admire details in painting the most when I admire fish mounts. If colors are blended well and details are painted it makes a mount that much better.

3. Whats the latest thing you learned that is cool to you? I am learning how to cast replica fish which is exciting for me. Being in taxidermy most of my life its hard to get excited but this is something I have always wanted to take the time to learn.

4. What do you look at when breaking down a paint schedule? How do you determine what colors to use and what goes fist to last? I don't use schedules so I go by past technique and add colors by blending if the customer has a photo of the fish.

5. Tell us about your best customer and why is this person the best in your opinion. I have alot of great customers that have been loyal customers over the years its hard to pick just one.

6. How do you keep a good customer? Do everything in your power to keep them happy. If you can give them a great job everytime you will keep customers for life.

7. Tell us about how you notify a customer when a fish is completed? Phone calls and if no one answers leave a message. Most customers will respond within a day or 2.

8. Down payments how are on these? How much do you ask for and would you settle for less? We ask 40-50% down payment and will accept less but the customer is to know no work will not be started until the 50% is met. I do have customers I trust enough to accept the 40%.

9. How long do you let fish dry? Depends on time of year and what species. Most fish will dry within 1-3 weeks time under normal conditions.

Bonus Question
10. Who have inspired you in your taxidermy career and tell us one story about why? I'm inspired everyday by the people on here to keep going and striving for a better product. Nature in general inspires me.

From beginners to the seasoned pro's every one contributes and all benefit from your great experiences!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451

Report to moderator    Logged  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Best!
Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale NH 03451
603-336-7296

Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 06:38:38 AM »

Gee Rick your sleeping late on Sunday morning's now LOL. So now I begin with Monday morning answers LOL.

1. What makes for a good paint job? Detail, detail, and detail

2. What is the one thing that you first admire when you see a good mount? Is color, anatomy, etc? Tell us what you like the most.  Color is the most important thing for me to see.

3. What's the latest thing you learned that is cool to you? Finding different metalics to work with.

4. What do you look at when breaking down a paint schedule? Take a paper and rip a small whole into it and then place this over the fish. You can then look at what color lies in that area. This helps in determining what you need to make the fish look somewhat as real as possible.

How do you determine what colors to use and what goes fist to last? I like to work from light to dark.

5. Tell us about your best customer and why is this person the best in your opinion.  The person that walks in my door and hands me fish, pole, creel and a vest. Then he states here make a memorabilia of my dad. It needs to hang on the wall. I ask how do you want it done? He stated do what you want surprise me....... This is where I enjoy my work for now all of your artistic ability comes out and you can really have fun doing this piece. At the end, well lets just say the client had a tear in the eye for his dad.

6. How do you keep a good customer? Simply put, do good honest work.

7. Tell us about how you notify a customer when a fish is completed? I call them by phone and I want to speak with that person, not just a machine or their children, cause then they say ohh I didn't get it LOL

8. Down payments how are on these? 1/4 down is fine
How much do you ask for and would you settle for less? yes if that client has been with me for a long time and I never had an issue with them, I have no problems with that. Never do it with a new client.

9. How long do you let fish dry? Two weeks by my furnace.

Bonus Question
10. Who have inspired you in your taxidermy career and tell us one story about why? OK here goes the first person who got me into taxidermy. It was a gentleman by the name of Adam Gall. He lived up the road from my parents palace. Dad was a good friend of him and would take me up their to see the house and all the different mounts he had done. This got me into it as a kid. I told him that I would like to learn on how to do this. He chuckled and said OK son here's a book that I learned from. I learned on how to wrap my own bodies and use glass marbles for eyes LOL. All in all this is where it all started for me. Thanks Mr. Gall.

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
Johnny Large
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 03:30:48 PM »

I feel the paint used gives it more of a real appearance.
The paint job is what really makes a mount stand out and then the anatomy.
Painting my own eyes, it can personalize a customers mount.
I usually use a basic paint schedule first and then compermize it by adding colors or not using colors.
I feel that your best customers are your customers that keep coming back. It makes you feel that you are doing something rite.

I call them.
I ask for a 50% deposit but i am flexible.
I let mounts with repro heads dry for a week and fish with real heads for two weeks. If this isnt long enough i put over night in front of a fan.
Bonus Question
My friend Joe had inspired me.

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 51 « previous next »
Jump to: