Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 52 The Last installment!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2019, 07:06:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 52 The Last installment! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 52 The Last installment!  (Read 9901 times)
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WWW Email
« on: February 18, 2007, 01:05:52 AM »

SMQs 52

Well good Sunday morning to you! It was 1 year ago today that I thought I would ask some question I would like to see answered by other taxidermist. I didn't think it would really be more than the one week. Well here we are 1 year later. I will keep if brief but I do want to say thank you all once again for sharing your knowledge and your kindness in helping all of us! It has been entertaining some weeks and at the very least it has been some thing to do on a Sunday mooring.

The original forum was a great place to come and read and the new forum is the best because we can look at work and share some really cool stuff with one another.
So I thank you for making me a better fish taxidermist!

I thank you and WASCO for letting me share in my passion "FISH! Thanks Ken!

So with out further ado! Lets get this last installment of the SMQs stared!!! So in the spirit of WASCO generosity we share freely with each other!

Answer what you can!

1. What does being a taxidermist mean to you personally?

2. What did you get out of the SMQs? Share one or two thoughts.

3. What is one thing you really wanted to know that I didn't get around to asking?

4. What would you like to see in the future of fish taxidermy?

5. With all you learned in the past year could you see your self 1-year later asking for more money for your fish work?

6. Would you Like WASCO to continue with weekly educational strings, if so what would you like to see done?

7. What makes for fair price?

8. What makes for a good mount?

9. Name one thing you want to improve on regarding your own fish work?

Bonus Question
10.  Thank some one who gave you some good advice or good answers to your favorite questions.

I'll be here each week to share some thing with you! I thank you all again for participating in the SMQs!!!

My Best!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

http://anglersartistry.com
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 01:21:24 AM »

1. What does being a taxidermist mean to you personally? It is the one thing I have done the longest in my life! It has made a living a has given me so many blessings!

2. What did you get out of the SMQs? Share one or two thoughts. Lots of cool answers to the questions I always wanted to ask!

3. What is one thing you really wanted to know that I didn't get around to asking?

4. What would you like to see in the future of fish taxidermy? A standard of work!

5. With all you learned in the past year could you see your self 1-year later asking for more money for your fish work? You bet!

6. Would you Like WASCO to continue with weekly educational strings, if so what would you like to see done? Yes I would like to see more help business wise like a Business section!

7. What makes for fair price? A confident fair person. The nerve to ask for the money you should earn being fair!

8. What makes for a good mount? A standard of nothing short of your best! One standard for quality is a good pace to start!

9. Name one thing you want to improve on regarding your own fish work? Better reference interpretation!

Bonus Question
10.  Thank some one who gave you some good advice or good answers to your favorite questions. All of you! Especially you!

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

http://anglersartistry.com
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
UFD
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 04:23:52 AM »

1. Taxidermy has been a large part of most of my life, and it would be tough to imagine what these past years would have been like without it.  I suppose there are always a few regrets, but overall it could have been a much worse road to travel.

2. The SMQs gave me a sound realization of the wide variety of methods that we all go through to hopefully get to the same end product.

3. A question that I would like to see some insight on is Why arent there more girls/ladies that are interested in or pursue fish taxidermy as a hobby or vocation?

4. In the future, Id like to see a really good fish eye come to the market.  Not just another variation on the same old theme that we keep seeing, but a genuine breakthrough at copying a fish eye.

5. I will most likely be charging more in a year to take into account what I have learned over this past year and during the coming year.

6. More educational strings would be great, and while I dont have any earth-shaking ideas for new ones, I relish the opportunity to see what transpires.

7. A fair price to me is based on the amount of hours I have in a project, multiplied by my hourly shop rate.  A fair shop rate takes into account all overhead expenses, continuing education, health insurance, retirement investing, and of course a wage.

8. A good fish mount has proper anatomy presented in a flowing manner that attempts to capture the essence of the living creature, backed up with a paint job that has ample detail and vibrancy of tones so that it allows your eye to dance across it and be almost overwhelmed with color as real fish coloration does.

9. I hope to improve all aspects of my fish work in the future, and all of those aspects would fall into the category of greater realism.

10.  I valued all of the responses to the questions by everyone, and it seemed like everyone at some time or another had a really great take on a certain question or two.  That said, I think that Mr. Krane was the best man for the job of running the SMQs, and I cant thank him enough for all that he has brought to the fish forums.  He oozes a degree of positivity that is absolutely refreshing, and brings people together for a greater good with an air that is darn near saint-like.
Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 06:01:53 AM »

1. What does being a taxidermist mean to you personally? It means a way to support my family and also do what most folks can't say, I getting paid to do what I enjoy.

Enjoying all the great questions and answers from all. It was nice to wake up to LOL hard to think this earl in the morning.

3. What is one thing you really wanted to know that I didn't get around to asking? I can't say that here lol.

Folks charging higher prices with higher quality work.

5. With all you learned in the past year could you see your self 1-year later asking for more money for your fish work?
We'll have to wait on that.
6. Would you Like WASCO to continue with weekly educational strings, if so what would you like to see done?
This was nice to see it happened. It would have been great to see the other forums stick with it but it never did, what a shame. This really help out beginners to advanced taxidermists.

7. What makes for fair price? Quality of work.

8. What makes for a good mount? The same quality

9. Name one thing you want to improve on regarding your own fish work? Composition

Bonus Question
10.  Thank some one who gave you some good advice or good answers to your favorite questions.
Actually thank you Rick for keeping this going and not giving up on hope.

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
Chad See
Silver Member

Certified "Fish Head"

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 06:59:16 AM »

Rick,  thanks so much for a year of asking, answering, learning and an all around good time.  Wonder what I will do with my Sunday mornings now...... ???

1. Personally, I like the term wildlife artist.  I mean, we are all artists and the work we do should represent that.  Being a taxidermist gives me an artistic outlet that allows me to incorporate all that nature has to offer into my creativity.  It is something I love and at the end of the day, I never feel as though I have really "been at work."  

2.  I learned a lot, and even had a chance to voice my thoughts a time or two.  It was so educational to answer my questions, then go back and read others answers to see how they varied from what I had said.  Sometimes I was in the main stream, other times I was a bit left field, but hey, that's what makes the world go round.  It was a good time and something I looked forward to each week. 

3. Hmmm, I am a regular black hole of questions as I am always trying to learn something, but you did a fine job of covering all the bases.... what you didnt ask, I called you about and asked you!  Thanks for all of your answers!

4.  I would like to see customers realize that there is so much more to a mount than a fish on the wall.  It would be nice for them to appreciate all we can do with thier trophy and allow us the freedom to create art for them.  

5. While I feel I have my market pretty well maxed at the moment, I definately feel that I have learned enough to justify a rate increase. 

6. Without a doubt! I too think that some business education could benefit the mass puplic that reads this forum.  At the very least, a once a month "tutorial" or a "how to" would be nice.  Something like the fish essays you post, only the topics could range from aligators to zebra.  

7.  When the customer gets a good quality product for what he paid the the person doing the work made a decent profit, that is a fair price. 

8.  It is hard to put what ALL makes a good mount but to sum it up for me, if you walk by it and find yourself saying... wow, that really looks real, soft, and natural and its displayed in a pleasing manner.  That, to me, makes a good mount. 

9.  Right now, ANATOMY!

Bonus Question

10.  Thanks to YOU RICK!  Not only for the board advise, but for you your educational essays and your telephone answers.  It means a TON. 
Pescado
Platinum Member

Biggest in 2011

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 08:18:43 AM »

1.)
      It's way  more what it has done for me. Through taxidermy I have met some of the coolest people I know and I have noticed I view God's creation in a whole different way. Taxidermy made me look at things in far greater depth than I ever had done before getting into it. A fish was no longer a fish, it was a spring, male  just loosing his spawning characteristics from the previous fall. The same catch before taxidermy "breakfast"!

2.)
     I got to see "fish taxidermy" through the eyes of quite a number of taxidermists. I think that is what I enjoyed most. It's very interesting seeing how someone else views something that you yourself have a great interest in.

3.)
     With nearly 520 questions, I think you pretty much covered all the bases. A good one may have been: What was the smallest "game fish" you were ever paid to mount? 

4.)
     The continuing advancement of "the art of fish taxidermy". It seems like the last 5 or 10 years have seen such a leap in overall quality. Some thing tells me this site may have contributed to that.

5.)
     With the robust economy here in Michigan (thousands more loosing jobs this week) I doubt I will increase my prices for fish or bear hunts until things start looking up.

6.)
     I would like to see some sort of thought provoking twist added to the "This week's pictures" thread. That seems to be an extremely popular spot for all the fisheads.

7.)
     A fair price is one that I feel comfortable collecting from a given client. I have a base price that I try to go by, but I look at most jobs on an individual basis. I like to be a bit flexible, depending on what is desired by the customer.

8.)
     Look at the first sentence in my answer to question #9.

9,)
     I am always looking for ways to improve on the coloration of my fish. I don't have the patience or the desire  to spend countless hours on painting. So I'm always trying different things, different techniques. Some day...........

10.)
        A big Thank You ! ! to Rick for taking time out of his busy schedule for the past year to help everyone. I know I look forward to viewing this thread every Sunday as much as that first cup of coffee. I will miss it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 09:21:44 AM by Pescado » Logged

Paul Borkowski
Blue Ribbon Taxidermy & Supply
Agawa Canyon Outfitters, LTD.
Monty Artrip
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 09:51:32 AM »

1. What does being a taxidermist mean to you personally?It gives me the opportunity to share my love of fish with others.I have been doing this a while now, and people can tell I am totally infatuated with fish. I know I will always feel this way.

2. What did you get out of the SMQs? Share one or two thoughts. The chance to see how others including some very talented people feel and approach problems.

3. What is one thing you really wanted to know that I didn't get around to asking? Wow, if I ever think of something not asked, I will let you know! I don't think no stone has been left unturned.

4. What would you like to see in the future of fish taxidermy? Higher quality across the board. I realize that fish are not some folks strongest areas. I feel they should take steps to improve or consider specializing in their strong area. I feel that folks who try to do it all with their quality sufferring not only give a bad rep for themselves but to other taxidermists. That being said, there are a few folks who do it all with high quality, but they are not the norm.

5. With all you learned in the past year could you see your self 1-year later asking for more money for your fish work? Yes.

6. Would you Like WASCO to continue with weekly educational strings, if so what would you like to see done? I like the fish refference section, I have used it extensively. Also the week in fish is great and I hope to paricipate soon.   

7. What makes for fair price? A price which pays the artist a good profit for their effort.

8. What makes for a good mount? Realism, a pleasing pose and clean, finished work.

9. Name one thing you want to improve on regarding your own fish work? Better anatomy with carved bodies. Rick's class has put me on my way to this and I will continue to strive for perfection in this area. Good anatomy is crucial to a high quality mount.

Bonus Question
UFD, your answers are always well put as well as your work being way above outstanding. Thank you for great advice on many questions!!
John C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 11:25:08 AM »

Being able to mount the many critters and give them a personal touch, doing my best to recreate wildlife. It has also given me the chance to meet some really great people many being taxidermist learning and sharing  knowledge.

2. What did you get out of the SMQ’s? Share one or two thoughts.

I have learned a lot   both good and bad. Learned sometimes Keep It Simple Stupid is still the best. It has pushed me to push my work to an even higher levels. I can do a pretty fair fish, deer, even birds, but these SMQs have proved that everyone can learn.

Really nothing, not that I cannot learn, but many of the things I have questions over have been answered. I have been away from competitions for a lot of years. Things have changed so I have to change too.

Anatomically correct eyes. So far all the eyes are the same old wrong things, nothing has changed, glass eyes are all incorrect to include the Aspheric from toechicken and VD's you are just as well off using the cheap eye as the high priced eye because none are correct in anatomy.

Live fish have a left and right eye and the anatomy is different for each side, but we are stuck with forms of marbles.

Simply put all the eyes on the market are wrong wrong wrong, so why waste your money for an aspheric over the general yse fish eye? Both are equally wrong.

This question has to many variables,, sure you should always be going up in price.

More detail on the details, I would like to see closeup pics of the winning mounts, fin butts, tail unions and such.

this would be an individual opinion and could deal with personal views and religous backgrounds.

8. What makes for a good mount? Anatomy and a great paint job.

I am always looking to improve my work in all aspects.  Anyone who think they do the best fish needs to step back and really look at their work.

Bonus Question

Thx Rick. You have answered more questions than I could have ask, I have found answers where other people cannot see the question.

UFD, samething!

I enjoy seeing everyones work, Week in fish is great. My computer will not read  CD's someday I hope to be able to post pics of my ugly babies.

20% Share holder Advanced Marine Performance, LLC, Hydro hull design engineer Vexus Boats.
Joe t
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 02:05:19 PM »

1. i enjoy making animals look alive.I also look foward to watching my progress in every mount.

2.I have not mounted a fish.I enjoyed reading the diffrent answers.Seems like there is many tecniques for the same job.i guess just find one that works for you!!

3 I am new to this so i would not even to begin to know the questions !! l.o.l.

4.quilitey of work.I think if you do not press your self to be better than your work will just be average.

5.I think if you strive to be the best you should charge for it!

6.It would be nice to see this thread continue. I would like too seek more knowledge of all aspects of taxadermey .Not just fish (no offence)

7.QUILETY

8.REFRENCES time and lots of practice.

9.never mounted a fish but looking foward to learning !!

10.Ken edwards for making this web site it is very helpfull to get knowledge from all these pros that take time to share!!! .
Mark V.
Silver Member

Chinook Salmon replica

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 09:37:39 PM »

Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 52 The Last installment!
on: Today at 01:05:52 AM    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMQs 52

Well good Sunday morning to you! It was 1 year ago today that I thought I would ask some question I would like to see answered by other taxidermist. I didn't think it would really be more than the one week. Well here we are 1 year later. I will keep if brief but I do want to say thank you all once again for sharing your knowledge and your kindness in helping all of us! It has been entertaining some weeks and at the very least it has been some thing to do on a Sunday mooring.

The original forum was a great place to come and read and the new forum is the best because we can look at work and share some really cool stuff with one another.
So I thank you for making me a better fish taxidermist!

I thank you and WASCO for letting me share in my passion "FISH! Thanks Ken!

So with out further ado! Lets get this last installment of the SMQs stared!!! So in the spirit of WASCO generosity we share freely with each other!

Answer what you can!

1. What does being a taxidermist mean to you personally? I have been doing taxidermy most of my life so it is more a lifestyle in my eyes. It all connects to things I love like hunting,fishing and the outdoors in general.

2. What did you get out of the SMQs? Share one or two thoughts. I learned something from time to time and felt like I am a part of a small club in some way. Its nice to share ideas among people of the same trade.

3. What is one thing you really wanted to know that I didn't get around to asking? How old is Rick Krane?

4. What would you like to see in the future of fish taxidermy? I would like to see maybe everyone get paid what their worth for the art they do.

5. With all you learned in the past year could you see your self 1-year later asking for more money for your fish work? Yes we have raised our prices in 2006 and much of the inspiration for me was this weekly fish discussion.

6. Would you Like WASCO to continue with weekly educational strings, if so what would you like to see done? Maybe do a string for each species of questions fish,birds mammals or do one on taxidermy shops/studios in general.

7. What makes for fair price? Fair price is in the eye of the beholder. Some people out their will never think their getting a fair price.

8. What makes for a good mount? Good skinning, carving, mounting and painting and finally a good overall presentation base/driftwood etc.

9. Name one thing you want to improve on regarding your own fish work? I would like to improve on painting of certain species mostly coldwater such as Brown trout,lake trout and brook trout. The thing is I don't get many in so there is a long span between mounts.

Bonus Question
10.  Thank some one who gave you some good advice or good answers to your favorite questions. Each and everyone who shared in this post over the last year is who I shall thank. I enjoyed reading them all.

I'll be here each week to share some thing with you! I thank you all again for participating in the SMQs!!!

My Best!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451
Richard C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 12:57:23 AM »

SMQ 52
    Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary of the SMQs
  Although I'm not as fish taxidermist I enjoyed reading them and learned a lot , some of it , transferable techniques with adjustment to other areas of taxidermy.
  #1--being creative and artistic.
 #2-Read  above.
 #3-4 +5 -pass
 #6-business 101 and price structure. This should cause fireworks.
 #7-One associated with a realistic " living wage".
  #8-Realistic anatomy and artistically presented.
 #9-pass
 #10-Everyone has some good advise if your listening. My grandfather used to tell me when I was a kid that, "you learn more with your ears than your mouth" so thanks gramps and everyone.
GregStehlingandSons
Silver Member

Montana Bull Trout Reproduction

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 01:12:14 PM »

Great job on the post Rick, we enjoyed it and wish would could have added more to it over the year.

You had a great idea on the business section thing.. it has our vote. Would love to see something like that.

MarK V had a good idea with the profile on shops.

Stan N
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 01:36:05 PM »

Thank you Mr. Krane for all your help and the questions! I loved to read the answers from the diffrent fish taxidermist. I learned to much to mention. Thank you very much.

Stan

Proud member of the Anglers Artistry fishhead family!
JP a.k.a Taxi-lover
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 01:36:26 PM »

-A lot. I love to see when killed or dead animal get's a new life. It means to me a way out of all that stress what comes from work and home. It's one good way to impress yourself and others.
-Many new information and tips of doing taxidermy!
- I don't think I haven't got answers here if I need one..
- Nothing special,just good fishwork and maybe new innovations about fish eyes.
- Importance of good reference and anatomy.
- I love to see painting instructions
- That you get what you pay...meaning that good quality work should get payed well.
-correct anatomy, nice painting, movement and nice base that relates to the species done.
- PAINTING
Bonus Question
10.  Thank some one who gave you some good advice or good answers to your favorite questions.
-I can thank you Rick!!! Marvelous SMQ and all that Fish of the week!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I have a dream...more trophies on my wall!
taxidermist66

striper

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 11:30:18 AM »

1. What does being a taxidermist mean to you personally? I love doing fish!  I get so much satisfaction out of the first time kids that catch that first fish and bring it in to be mounted. and when they pick it up the smile on they face`

2. What did you get out of the SMQs? Share one or two thoughts. so great!   I just love it so much.

4. What would you like to see in the future of fish taxidermy?  more on salt water fish 

5. With all you learned in the past year could you see your self 1-year later asking for more money for your fish work? on I am at my max right at this time.

6. Would you Like WASCO to continue with weekly educational strings, if so what would you like to see done? more fish photos

7. What makes for fair price? I take in concentration each one that comes in my shop. and when I give them a total price for the work on the fish. if it will be a skin mount or repo and how long it will take. some times I will decrease my price

8. What makes for a good mount? ( Detail detail) I try to put in detail with all my fish mounts

9. Name one thing you want to improve on regarding your own fish work? true fish colors some fish are so hard to do (reference photo"s and more reference photo"s )

Bonus Question
10.  Thank some one who gave you some good advice or good answers to your favorite questions. ( I thank you all )  do not want to give names in case I forget some one

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 52 The Last installment! « previous next »
Jump to: