NEW Reunion UPDATES = Turtle Fest & MORE 2011 Sept. 23, 24, & 25
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 29, 2020, 09:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794014 Posts in 224169 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: NEW Reunion UPDATES = Turtle Fest & MORE 2011 Sept. 23, 24, & 25 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 45 Print
Author Topic: NEW Reunion UPDATES = Turtle Fest & MORE 2011 Sept. 23, 24, & 25  (Read 71665 times)
antlerman
Platinum Member

NTA Life Member #0118

Email
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »

I have spent some time working on trying to get everything condensed into one post.  Here it is. Should be easier to find the answers to your questions. ALL the information is here.  

MIDWEST REGIONAL TAXIDERMY CONVENTION      
                              At the COPPER DOCK WINERY  
                                      In Pocahontas, Illinois
                                    September 23-25, 2011

You are cordially invited to join us for a weekend of fun, education, competition, fine dining and wine tasting. We have gathered some of the top instructors in the world.  We hope to make this an annual event and welcome any and all taxidermist from around the world to come. We are not going to be in a stuffy motel. Most of the seminars will be conducted outside or under pavilions in the beautiful atmosphere of this gorgeous winery.
The Winery Bar, Docks, and Patios overlook a beautiful lake with wildlife all around.  This Winery is a brand new multi million dollar facility. The banquet hall has seating for 350 people. It is complete with a wine, cheese, meat and bread deli. A complete bar and grill awaits you, where you are served by some of the prettiest and friendliest waitresses serving the coldest beer and drinks around.  Tables adorn the two story dock and patio areas. Visit with your friends or go sit alone, just the two of you, in this romantic setting. Built as an outdoor wedding venue, this place sparkles with class and style. There is plenty of parking. So come join us, and take a late summer vacation before the busy hunting season arrives, and get one more good convention in before the weather turns cold. Late September in Illinois is the prettiest time of the year, and the temps are usually mild.

SEMINARS:   3 days of hands on seminars, taught by some of the very best in the industry with 5 packages to choice from.

THE WHITETAIL/GAMEHEAD PACKAGE
World Renowned Whitetail Artist Bill Yox from New York
     Bill will be teaching whitetail anatomy. The true secret behind creating lifelike representations of the Whitetail deer. Learn expression and attitude. Watch as Bill transforms a commercial manikin into a one of a kind artistic sculpture that will capture the attention of your customers and set you apart from your competition. Knowledge of what is going on under the skin is what separates an artist from a taxidermist.  Then, in session 2, watch as Bill mounts the skin and teaches alignment and expression. Eye set, rotation, and attitude.  If you truly want to learn whitetail taxidermy, this is a do not miss seminar. Add to that, Bill will also be doing the same thing with a RED HERTEBEEST in session 3. Wishing to get into AFRICAN GAME HEADS?  Here is your chance. Learn the differences in working with N. American skins verses African skins.  That is 3 full sessions with one of the best taxidermist in the country.
 But thats not all. You get 2 more sessions with the one and only Michael P. Schlabach from LaGrange Texas.  Michael will be teaching his outstanding pedestal backing techniques, HANDS ON!!  PLUS, receive FREE OF CHARGE your very own Gene Smith Wall Pedestal Mannikin courtesy of HEAD QUARTERS SUPPLY for doing your rock habitat on, and take it home with you. You will learn how to sell it and how you too can put an additional 150.00 in your pocket on every deer head mount you do. I said there were 2 sessions right?   Heres the second. Watch Michael mount a commercial deer head. This is for you beginners that need some direction. We will call this DEER HEADS made SIMPLE.  Need to get smoother and quicker with your production work? This is the class for you. You will learn Michaels hide paste formula, his BONDO ear techniques. How to set antlers, eyes, and ear butts. How to produce a customer mount that both you are your customer can be proud to have on the wall.
Now, there is one more session in this package.
That session belongs to Antler Replicator Tim Thacker.  Learn his methods of antler tine repair. Learn the steps he uses in molding and casting realistic and simple, easy to do tine repair. He will teach you how to paint using oils and how you can turn an otherwise daunting task into easy money. End your repair struggles once and for all. Make your customers proud to call you their taxidermist, while paying yourself great dividends. Learn how 30 minutes can put 200.00 in your pocket. Bring your broken rack along with you and fix it together.

THE WATERFOWL PACKAGE
World Champion Kent Reedy from Iowa    
                 This is a seminar for those who want to learn the finer things in bird taxidermy. What can I say that hasnt already been said? The name Kent Reedy is synonymous with BEST BIRD GUY IN THE WORLD. How could it get any better than this?  Kent will teach his techniques and approaches that has won him a world title. You will work side by side with Kent on your very own Mallard Drake. You bring your own skin already fleshed and degreased and EVERYTHING else is being provided for you. (manikin, eyes, wire, paint, caulk & etc.)  You will learn proper anatomy, manikin alteration, posing and positioning, casting of heads and feet, and finish detail work.  This is a limited class of 10 students. This is a do not miss. I expect to see many of the top bird guys at this one.

TURTLE SOUP ANYONE
In this package you get, not one but two, MASTER REPTILE taxidermists.
TOM VOYER from New Hampshire AND DAN PSYCHO HUDZIK from Illinois TOGETHER AGAIN.

Learn to skin, preserve, mount and finish one of the best tasting species in N. America. The animal that carriess his home on his back. The SNAPPING TURTLE. Ive seen many people over the last few years get involved in the ever growing world of REPTILE TAXIDERMY. Many have won in competition and have added reptiles to their commercial business repertoire. These guys will work feverishly with you every step of the way.  Learn how to dissect, preserve and mount one of the oldest creatures on earth. Learn to carve bodies out of foam and shape with clay. How to assemble and finish. These two guys know their stuff. Both have won many awards at both the state and world levels. You will have a blast working with these guys, I assure. All you have to do is show up. EVERYTHING is being provided for you. The turtles, the eyes, the clay, the foam, the paint. Its ALL here. All you have to bring is a good attitude and a desire to learn. These guys will provide everything else, with a big help from Blaine coonhollow Gerow who is busy as hell right now catching you your very own turtle. This will be a FUN FUN class.

LIFESIZE MAMMAL PACKAGE   UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Ray Hatfield from Cody, Wy. will be here!!   OH YEAH!!   Ray says; Bring your very own lifesize mammal to mount and LET's Get Busy Together.  When was an opportunity like this EVERY offered? Lifesize deer, bears, you name it and you get to work side by side with one of the industries most accomplished taxidermists. Rays owns and operates one of the largest studio's in the world and produces some of the most artistic creations ever found in the world of taxidermy. We all watched in awe as the DALLAS PROJECT came together. Now you can work side by side with Ray and get the opportunity to pick his brain for three full days. Money can't buy this everyday of the week. Just think, bring that big customers mount that you have been avoiding and get it done with Ray. That alone will put money in YOUR pocket. Don't miss this FANTASTIC OPPORTUNITY. I know I won't.

FISH PACKAGE
NEWLY CROWNED WORLD FINALIST FISHHEAD BRIAN CLAAR from PENNSYLVANIA   HANDS ON SEMINAR

WOWNOW JUST HOW LUCKY CAN WE GET?
Entry into the HIGHLY competitive world of fish taxidermy. A world where not many have graced the stage at the top pinnacle. We are fortunate to have Brain. come to us with his awesome array of talent. Few exist who can match Brians knowledge of color and unique style and methods of fish taxidermy.  This is one of those seminars that just couldnt be bought anywhere else for this price. This is another hands on seminar. I cant believe this even as I type it. You will be given a Gary Bruch small mouth bass replica blank, from WASCO. You will be given a supply of Woods and Water Paints, Courtesy of Badger and Paul Borkowski. You will work side by side with Brian as he teaches you to PROPERLY prepare a blank for finishing. Bring with you a Dremel tool and bits and an airbrush. You will paint right alone beside one of the best in the world. You will create a FINISHED piece on a WALNUT CREEK HARDWOOD base. Michael P. will slip in and help with creating a rock base.  After 3 days of intense training and hard work, you will leave with a mount worthy of the highest praise in any fish taxidermy arena. The mount alone is worth more than the cost of this seminar weekend. The knowledge you gain will be FREE. But wait. Do you think thats all we got?  Get this.ONE of you students is going to win a full day one on one with Brian on anything you want to learn or cover. Folks, that kind of thing right there will make you a Master Fish Taxidermist. You dont get one on one training from someone like Brian without spending some serious money. And I do mean serious money. Brian has raised the roof on this one just for you.  This class is limited to 15 students. I dont know where else in the world you can beat this deal.

Each seminar participate will receive a FRAMED CERTIFICATE of COMPLETION, signed by the respective instructors to hang on your show room wall for your customers to see.

COST
There it is folks. Pick the package you wish to attend. The cost of the seminar weekend is a mere 500.00. That includes the seminars, the banquet and one competition entry.  All limited seminars are 500.00 per person and must be secured with your deposit of 300.00 no later than September 15, 2011.

A second family member or employee can also attend any of the non limited seminars for a discounted rate of 300.00. A security deposit of 300.00 per attendee is due a.s.a.p., but no later than Sept 15, 2011.

Late entries will be charged an additional 50.00

Please notify us which seminar package you wish to attend by calling 618.669.2518

VENDERSCOMPETITION...AWARDSBANQUET...LODGING

We are working on adding to our vendors list, but here are some you can expect to be here.
WALNUT CREEK HARDWOODS
SMOOTH-ON CASTING SUPPLIES   Doug Bridges will also be in many of the seminars casting with you.
RESEARCH MANIKINS
MATT STARK, THE DRIFTWOOD HUNTER
THACKS RACK SHACK REPRODUCTION ANTLERS
BEAR ESSENTIALS TANNING PRODUCTS
AMERICAN INSURANCE ALLIANCE
CUSTOM COPPER BASES by ROSS VOGLER
REFLECTIVE EYES by HARLEY CRAIG

COMPETITION
 A competition and awards banquet will also take place as part of our weekend convention.  Entrees will be accepted in the Masters, Professional, and Novice/Youth Divisions.  Categories will exist for Deer Heads, Game Heads, Birds, Fish, Reptiles and Mammals. An A, B, C, scoring system will be used. Judges decisions will be final. Judges may give a numerical score at their discretion. Ribbons will be awarded. A Combined Artists Division will exist and all entries in that division will compete at the Master's level.
Each seminar attendee will be allowed one entry at no charge. Additional entrees will cost 15.00 per entry. All entrees MUST be in the competition area by 8 pm on Friday, September, 23.  Judging will take place beginning at 8 pm.  All entrees must remain until Sunday, and will be released at 3pm. Competition WILL be open to all who wish to come. Those who are NOT seminar participants will be charged a 75.00 entry fee and 25.00 for their first entry, and 15.00 for each additional entry.  Public viewing will be open on Saturday from 10am till 3pm. And again on Sunday from 10am till 3pm.  A 5.00 admission will be charged for adults. Children under18 will be 2.00 and children under 12 are free.

AWARDS
With each passing day the awards sponsors are increasing. You can come expecting the same types of awards that are commonly expected at most state shows. Here is a partial list of potential awards to be won.

WASCO AWARD   most artistic entry as chosen by the judges

BREAKTHROUGH AWARD  Best of Show as chosen by the Judges

COPPER DOCK WINERY AWARD    Best of Show as chosen by the Host
   (This is a beautiful award)   Along with a cash prize.

COPPER DOCK WINERY BEST PROFESSIONAL ENTRY
A smaller version of the BEST of SHOW AWARD with a cash prize

COPPER DOCK WINERY BEST NOVICE/YOUTH ENTRY with a cash prize.

McKenzie AWARDS given to the best FISH, best BIRD, best WHITETAIL, and best MAMMAL competitors choice

MIDWEST REGIONAL TAXIDERMY CONVENTION BEST of CATEGORY AWARDS
Goes to the highest scoring entry in each category of the Masters and Professional divisions.

Combines Artists Category Awards will be Judged at a masters level and only 3 awards will be competed for. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Best Novice/Youth entry Award.

Peoples Choice Award    

Competitors Choice Award

Walnut Creek Hardwood Award

Research Mannikin Awards   Best Masters, best professional and best novice.

Al Holmes Memorial Best Habitat Award

U.T.A.   Artisan Award

Polytranspar Award

Expect many special interest awards also.

Rocky Mountian Elk Federation
Ducks Unlimited
Whitetails Unlimited
National Wild Turkey Federation
S.C. I.
B.A.S.S. Federation
Carlyle Lake Waterfowlers Assoc.
ART Rocks
Copper Artistry
Reflective Eyes

BANQUET

A banquet style meal will be served on Saturday Night as part of the awards ceremony at no extra charge to seminar attendees. Banquet costs for non seminar attendee's is 25.00 per plate.

A cash bar happy hour will start at 5pm with the meal served at 6pm.

Awards ceremony will start at 7pm.  

Immediately after the awards ceremony judges will be available for critiques.

Doors will close at 11pm and will reopen at 9 am on Sunday.

The COPPER DOCK BAR will be open until 2am.

On the menu:

This is a buffet style banquet with:

Start with a COPPER DOCK HOUSE SALAD  
(Iceberg, romaine, and red leaf lettuce tossed with cherry tomatoes, red onions, and fresh mushrooms. This salad is served with your choice of the following dressings. Thousand Island, Poppy seed, French, Raspberry Vinaigrette, Blue Cheese, House Ranch, Honey Mustard, Lite Balsamic Vinaigrette

Then on to the hot meal:
Grilled Chicken Breast   (char-broiled and smothered in freshly grilled green peppers and onions)
Herbed Rump Roast    (tender roast beef accompanied by a blend of select herbs, served in au jus)
Garlic Roasted Mashed Potatoes (Served with a hint of garlic and chives)
Green Beans Almandine (Sauted green beans prepared with slivered almonds,      butter and lemon juice)
Italian Pasta Salad   ( a tri-color farfalle pasta, cheese, fresh vegetables, and olives in a vinaigrette dressing)
Topped off with a New York Style Cheesecake (Choices are: strawberry, raspberry, swirl and plain)

LODGING
POWHATEN MOTEL MILE FROM WINERY  618.669.2271
(cheaper older motel) should serve well for the heaviest of drinkers)
SLEEP INN AND SUITES  618.664.9700 (Greenville exit off Interstate 70.
 6 miles from Winery. Very nice and brand new. Indoor pool, wifi, continental breakfast, computer access and more. When you call to reserve, tell them you are with the taxidermy convention for our special rate of 71.99 per night. Cut off for that rate is Sept. 15. so book early.

Directions to the Winery.     We are located mile north off Interstate 70 at Pocahontas, Illinois      Mile post 36  which is 36 miles east of St. Louis.
The address is:
COPPER DOCK WINERY
 498 White Oak Lane
Pocahontas, Illinois  62275
Phone @ winery is:  618.669.CORK (2675)

Make checks payable to and send to:
Midwest Regional Taxidermy Convention
624  IL. RT. 143
Pocahontas, Illinois  62275

We sure hope to see you all here.                      

Before I create a monitoring nightmare for myself, I will start posting attentive attendees here. As you let me know I will post your names here so we can get an idea on numbers for planning purposes. The more who sign up, and follow up with their deposits, the more I will keep adding to this event, so sign up.

attentive attendees:
Bob  Wildlife 1.....Mammals......deposit rec.
Coonhollow
Sarahdj.......Mammals
Ross Vogler
Eric E.
Hawghollow
Debbie C.
red oak........Birds......full payment rec.
rbear......Turtles......deposit rec.
mdp62.......mammals.......deposit rec.
old n twisted....Turtles.....Pd in Full
hunting justin......Turtles......Pd in Full
Steve W.......Mammals......deposit rec.
Janna and Kyle......Mammals
Codi Wiseman......Turtles
Justin33 Grisham.......Turtles
Bruce Owens.........Birds......deposit rec.
Snagmaster49   Richard Ward
Bill Motzer.......whitetails
Ron F..........Birds..........pd in full
big tine........whitetails
Kendall Shaw......Birds........pd in full
Caden Shaw......whitetails.....pd in full
Eric Smith?
feathercast?
Bob Evans......Fish.....deposit rec.
planting cedar (David Sanderson).......whitetails......Pd in full
Josh Judge.....Birds
Dennis Isbill......Fish.......deposit rec.....Pd. in full
Donald Gaik.....Fish......deposit rec.
Mark Nash......Whitetails
Dale Kuhlman......Whitetails    (Phoenix Ariz.)
Cory Hammett......Whitetails.....Deposit rec.
Glen Jackson........Birds
Danielle Graham........Mammals.....Pd in full
Laura Muller.......Birds......depsoit rec.
Kathy Hoalt.......Birds.......Pd in full
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:18:42 PM by antlerman » Logged
Whitetailart
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 08:21:18 PM »

As of right now I can say I will be back for this Tim

Our future is in the youth of today.

Mother Nature creates animals to blend in with Nature.
We Recreate them to blend in with furniture.
Ross Vogler
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »

Sounds tempting, but I may be going out with Dan the following weekend again. Who knows.

Debbie C.
Platinum Member

Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:51:37 PM »

Sounds like a great idea !!!  maybe i can make it for the whole 3 days this time  :D

coonhollow
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:03:10 PM »

I nominate Dan to assist in keeping track of things along with you, it makes sense you are close together and I'm sure he will be very involved anyway...and he is very trusted and admired from his participation with HOAL. I will get a few more boar delivered and get one fattened up and shoot for one at least as big as the last another 50-100 pounds would be nice.lol  I discussed the turtles with Dan they will be snapping turtles, and I will keep them alive til 3-4 days before I come out and put them in the freezer I will fence my pond off as a containment for them and start gathering them from the lakes and transplanting them to my pond.lol so I just need a idea on how many to gather up! I think each participant should get 1 shirt included if possible? but up to you?

michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:47:28 PM »

I'm there!   Count me in for a meal of Chajita's!

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
psycho
Platinum Member

2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 10:58:05 PM »

Whats a Chajita's?  Will it have any pork in it?   :o   ;D

coonhollow
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 11:11:48 PM »

Whats a Chajita's?  Will it have any pork in it?   :o   ;D

its Texan for pigs in a blanket! lol beef I think Dan! maybe we wont have to go get you a happy meal again!.lol

psycho
Platinum Member

2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 11:37:10 PM »

I wish you would have gotten me a happy meal this year....   :P

coonhollow
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »

lol, what did you eat while we were there? we put away a lot of pork in a few days.lol

psycho
Platinum Member

2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »

I ate Carlton's chicken!  LOL ;D

antlerman
Platinum Member

NTA Life Member #0118

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »

Wow, this is almost a year away and we've filled one page on food.  LOL  Well at least I know where you guys stand. Just feed you and all is well.  LOL
psycho
Platinum Member

2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 12:05:41 AM »

Wow, this is almost a year away and we've filled one page on food.  LOL  Well at least I know where you guys stand. Just feed you and all is well.  LOL

Don't act surprised!  LOL

coonhollow
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 12:21:37 AM »

better stock up on lubricant for that hog roaster that last hog bout wore that motor out! lol

psycho
Platinum Member

2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 12:53:44 AM »

Sounds tempting, but I may be going out with Dan the following weekend again. Who knows.

I think this guy is ruined....  LOL

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 45 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: NEW Reunion UPDATES = Turtle Fest & MORE 2011 Sept. 23, 24, & 25 « previous next »
Jump to: