Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 33
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2019, 02:36:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 33 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 33  (Read 5029 times)
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WWW Email
« on: October 08, 2006, 12:02:54 AM »

Week 33

Good weekend and happy Sunday Morning! Last week had a great number of responses with some great answers too! I have added a few more salty questions for the other brothers and sisters fish heads from the deep blue sea!!! I have to admit being from New England I do a few Saltwater fish but Bruce Foster got me thinking and it is a obvious given that salt water questions should always be about fish taxidermy. After all they are seriously cool looking and for some of us an awesome challenge to work with! An just like in the fresh water world there are some great fish guys of the salt water realm who are some of the very best at the craft he at our disposal for all things salt water!

Last week Bonus question was a bit tough. There were some really outstanding efforts at the answers and folks sure did there home work. After all this is what the SMQs are all about to make you think deeper!!! Mr. Dave UFD Campbell of Tacoma, WA was the big Winner! Dave forgoes the price as he already is the proud own of a Anglers artistry fish disc and offers the CD back to one extra winner this week! So this week we will have 2 discs to give away! Over 250 pictures for free! I pay shipping and handling and you just fill out all the answers and get the bonus correct and it is yours if youre first!
So this week there will be an extra bonus question for you.

I want to personally Thank folks who wrote to me here and personal on my birthday it meant a great deal to me!
I thank you and WASCO for letting me share in my passion "FISH! As long as you keep answering the questions, I will keep writing them.

So with out further ado! Lets Get the morning stared to a new week with some fish taxidermy talk! The good people at WASCO give us the free opportunity here to share information so we can be better-informed taxidermist! So in the spirit of WASCO generosity we share freely with each other!

1. What make the white/blue glint in the pupil of a walleye eye in particular light?

2. Salt water fish often have an oil refraction quality to them how do you create this effect in a tarpon or a King Fish?

3. How much work do you do inside the mount of a fish as far as rebuilding and painting?

4. Tell us how often you clean your airbrush and how do you do this task?

5. Is there any thing you do to your paints to make them perform better or do you spray out of the bottle?

6. How do you make artificial teeth? Do fish with projecting teeth always show them?

7. When altering a form for a fish body that is to big do you other then taking in the over all sides would you take away from the top and the bottom profiles as well or just one or the other? How do you alter a body to fit? What youre your rules to follow?

8. What do you look for when buying a salt water reproduction (other than size) if you make your won repros what would you tell some one to look for that is important?

9. What was the coolest fish you ever caught and what was it? Why was this so cool for you? Tell us about your adventure and your fish!

Bonus Question # 10
10. What are the only true bass of North Americas? Sea bass, Sunfish, Largemouth Bass, Small mouth Bass, Yellow Bass, White bass, Striped bass What makes a bass a bass?

Extra Bonus CD question!
11. In the family of Esox. List which fish in order has the most lower mandible ports cephalic sensory canals and what is there purpose?

Give it a shot!

Any one who emails me personally with the answers will get a few free reference photos from my personal collection. I still want you to answer here so other can benefit form your input on this topic line.

It is all because of you and your awesome replies this has become so successful!
From beginners to the seasoned pro's every one contributes and all benefit from your great experiences! Let see if I we can get more responses on the forum as well as in my email. I will give you some free fish reference photos for the asking just for contributing! As always I just think your answers are so good more and more contribute on here for all see!

My Best and have fun with this!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

http://anglersartistry.com
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 07:05:45 AM »

1. What make the white/blue glint in the pupil of a walleye eye in particular light?
My guess is refraction

2. Salt water fish often have an oil refraction quality to them how do you create this effect in a tarpon or a King Fish?
using inference and iridesecent colors

3. How much work do you do inside the mount of a fish as far as rebuilding and painting?
I usually have no rebuilding cause I cast all my heads and painting I do as best as I can to the reference I have on hand.

If I'm doing a lot of painting, it will be once a day otherwise if it's spotty then it can be twice a week.
Now using a Iwata I take it all apart and soak it over night in a cleaning solution and then lube all the parts with vasilene and put it back together.

5. Is there any thing you do to your paints to make them perform better or do you spray out of the bottle? Depaend most of the time I spray right from the bottle till I get to doing some detail work. From there it's always time to thin down with alcohol, or lacquer thinner, transparent base's and some retarder.

6. How do you make artificial teeth? For commercial work I use epo-grips tooth mix, competition I use clear casting resin mixed with cabosil.
 Do fish with projecting teeth always show them?No

7. When altering a form for a fish body that is to big do you other then taking in the over all sides would you take away from the top and the bottom profiles as well or just one or the other?
Sorry Rick carving my own I don't have to alter at all. To answer the question right it should be done by first taking a template of the fish your doing and then transfer that to the body you bought. This very well could intell be adding or taking away the sides or bottom or taking one off and adding to the other.

How do you alter a body to fit? What youre your rules to follow? Just like I was saying make a template or a tracing of the fish your doing also take curcumfrence measurements. From there you can alter it to fit the fish you have.

8. What do you look for when buying a salt water reproduction (other than size) if you make your won repros what would you tell some one to look for that is important?
Being I make my own it's a excelent cast and great detail. Detail on any fish is most important. One word of caution when buying one is how big they make there seams and if they repair them how well do it look to the fish. I've seen scale detail put into fish that had different scales on top where the seam was and then totally different ones right next to it. Made the fish look real odd.

9. What was the coolest fish you ever caught and what was it? My wife
 Why was this so cool for you? Yep I marrried here or should I say she married me.
Tell us about your adventure and your fish! Well we met one day at a job where I set some bait out and she swam in that day looking for this bait and really liked the attractant sent I had on that day. I missed this fish a few times, caught her mother real easy and then seeing the bait was harmless (LOL) she dicided to bite it, well the fight really was a terrrible one she came right in but once landed she flopped around a lot. I had to jump on the fish so that it wouldn't get away.
This was one heck of a catch so there was no way of me throwing it back so I kept it on ice for awile till I decided what should I do, I could cut it up and cook it or make it a wall (arm) hanger. I kept the latter and boy what a fish. Still looks awsome to this day, still on my arm and still the best fish in the ocean.

Bonus Question # 10
10. What are the only true bass of North Americas? Sea bass, Sunfish, Largemouth Bass, Small mouth Bass, Yellow Bass, White bass, Striped bass

True Bass are divided into two categories temperate bass and sea bass. Most species live in the ocean.

Temperate Bass are silvery fish with two fins on the top of the back. They have six or seven bold stripes along their body. There are four species in North America, White Bass, Yellow Bass, Striped Bass, and White Perch. White and Yellow Bass live only in freshwater but Striped Bass and White Perch are native of the Atlantic Ocean. Both have been forced to live in freshwater because people damned inland waters. Striped Bass are common in the Atlantic regions and in the south. They weigh anywhere from 2-20 pounds.

There are over 370 species of Sea Bass the Jewfish is the largest. It can grow to 8 feet long and 700 pounds.

What makes a bass a bass?
Dorsal spines (total): 10 - 10; Dorsal soft rays (total): 11 - 14; Anal spines: 3; Anal soft rays: 10 12; Vertebrae: 30 32. Mouth large; maxillary extending beyond the eye. Pelvic fins not joined by a membrane.  Caudal fin with 17 rays

Extra Bonus CD question!
11. In the family of Esox. List which fish in order has the most lower mandible ports cephalic sensory canals and what is there purpose?
Esox masquinongy,lucius,reichertii,niger,americanus vermiculatus,americanus americanus also out of time for now. But I think it's to help in catching prey

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
Pescado
Platinum Member

Biggest in 2011

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 10:14:45 AM »

1. Walleyes also are equipped to see in virtual darkness. They have large pupils, which gather light. Like cats and whitetail deer, walleyes also have a reflective layer on their retinas known as tapetum lucidum. It helps concentrate light once it has entered the eye. As a result, starlight is enough of a light source for them to hunt. Their eyes are far more sensitive to light than our own.

2.haven't done either.

3. I do as much as the customer pays me to do. If they want detailed inner mouth, it will cost them an extra $100. Standard mouth interior for a wall mount fish is nothing more than a bit of sculpting epoxy over a base of mache, with a bit of detail modeled in.

4. I very seldom take my airbrushes apart. I flush them with a 20/80 mix of ammonia and water after each color followed by straight water and that is it.

5. Water based (Wildlife Colors) I thin about 50% ( with a thinner I mix from their cleaner and water). If detailing I will also add a bit of retarder till I get the flow I want.

6.Smooth epox and cabosil most of the time, the other option I use is silicone.

7. If I carve a body that is a bit larger that I want, I generally will reduce the size equally till it fits. As I carve I always try to keep the body looking the way I want it, so just taking excess off the top would throw off the balance of the mount.

8.I have done a very limited number of saltwater fish.

9.Well this is a tough one, too many cool fish to give only one the honor of being "The Coolest". I did have a client catch one a couple weeks ago that was very cool. It was a male brookie in full spawning colors, with a twist ( As GB would say). It looked like it was painted and the last step the Good Lord did was to dip it in a pale of transparent orange. All the normally white areas had a definite orange tint. This was a way cool fish.I tried to attach a photo of it, as always the photo doesn't do the fish justice.

10 & 11. I'm fresh out of a six week stint in a tent camp. The brain is not ready for any bonus thoughts yet.

* OrangeOne.jpg (113.46 kB, 864x648 - viewed 946 times.)

Paul Borkowski
Blue Ribbon Taxidermy & Supply
Agawa Canyon Outfitters, LTD.
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 11:10:30 AM »

Great Answers Gentelman!!! Super nice brookie Paul!

I want to take a momnet to thank Cecil Baird who sent me 4 beutiful fish! Cecil does have trully great fish! Thank you Cecil!!!!!!

Rick

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

Bruce Foster

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 01:03:28 PM »

Rick........thank's for the saltwater version last week.......by response's, us SW guys are clearly outnumbered.........even though I go both ways........(best term for this before any perverted responses)!

I use many additives, that are used in custom car and motorcycle painting.......in this case, dry micro pigment and clear lacquer

I usually paint with between 4-6 brushes.....once done, they are completely taken apart and soaked in acetone, washers and springs checked and replaced if needed, lubed and reassembled

5. Is there any thing you do to your paints to make them perform better or do you spray out of the bottle?
All paints a tweaked.........and since multiple mediums are used, proper paint adjustments are the norm.....flow rates, atomization, wet and dry spray, drying time, flash out and translucency are some, and can all be controlled with paint adjustment and additives.......example: simple water based paint......mix with very hot water and a drop or two of ammonia instead of room temp H2o

6. How do you make artificial teeth? Do fish with projecting teeth always show them?
Tooth mix, thickened resin, plastic fork ends (Barracuda)......for rough lipped fish Striped Bass, I will push salt or sugar into the finishing material.......bondo, all game etc., and let harden..once it is dry, run hot water over it to melt the sugar and salt away......great representation of rough lipped fish...........as far a the second part of this question Rick.......better worded as how dumb am I ?......I have the scars to prove," what you see is not always what you get"

#1.....most importantly, is the blank from a first or second generation mold.....that should cover detail, and seam flashing thickness......how they are laid up will determine lots of other things......voids, seam thickness, loss of detail etc, are common in second generation molds
#2......the original molder has the ability to position the fish in a natural or un natural way........custom molding gives you the ability to personalize your impression , controlling the outcome of the finished product
#3.......anything flexable on the blank.......this is only used for production casting, lowering the cost to the molder......it serves no purpose, IMO, other than and added selling point to those that don't know better.........what is the purpose of a flexable fin?.........and secondly, a major drawback to the most common painting applications.......know matter what you do certain blanks will not except paint well.
#9......there is not enough time or room here for that kind of question Rick
#10.......I will make a comment on Franks post to this question......."What makes a bass a bass?
Dorsal spines (total): 10 - 10; Dorsal soft rays (total): 11 - 14; Anal spines: 3; Anal soft rays: 10 12; Vertebrae: 30 32. Mouth large; maxillary extending beyond the eye. Pelvic fins not joined by a membrane.  Caudal fin with 17 rays".......this in no way should be taken out of context, but only to point out new findings on the reasearch of Atlantic Striped Bass.......Chesapeake Bay is responsible for 75% of the Atlantic coast breeding stock, Hudson River, and Roanoke River among others the remaining.....data, has shown, 1 extra dorsal spine in Hudson River fish as well as a adhesive eggs in reproduction......Chesapeake fish have a free floating egg, and normal spine numbers......... Morphology:   Dorsal spines (total): 9 - 11; Dorsal soft rays (total): 10 - 13; Anal spines: 3; Anal soft rays: 7 13.......  data from ACFM..........I am not in any way challenging Frank's reply to this question, but only adding new findings and resent date since the moratorium was implemented , and now lifted on the decreasing stocks of the Striped Bass on the Atlantic coast .

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 05:41:25 PM by Bruce Foster Studio » Logged
AnglingArtisan
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 02:19:01 PM »

Hmmm I really have no idea scientifically what causes it.
I have seen photos of Walleyes where the pupil looks black like any other fish too.
Most of the photos I have been taking with my new camera makes every fish species look like it has walleye eyes. I think it has something to do with my flash...similar to red-eye in people.

Not sure what oil refraction is? Would like to find out though

I do repros only, so I cast a fully detailed mouth insert. I paint it and put teeth in according to reference. Usually white with flesh tones on most fish

Well, I am kinda lazy when it comes to stuff like that. When it clogs up to where I can't get any spray, then I rip it apart and investigate. If I showed you my airbrush, you would laugh...I use it minus half the parts it came with :o

Straight from the bottle into the color cup here. I mix colors on the fly.

I use Magic Smooth and I apply them after painting. I have noticed alot of larger Trout that have the teeth embedded in the gums(almost like the gums are swollen)

7. When altering a form for a fish body that is to big do you other then taking in the over all sides would you take away from the top and the bottom profiles as well or just one or the other? How do you alter a body to fit? What youre your rules to follow?
I've done both before...made a commercial form work for a closed mouth Bass. A ton of foam had to be taken off in the front "shoulder" area...like the back had to be "sloped" down and the bottom up.

8. What do you look for when buying a salt water reproduction (other than size) if you make your won repros what would you tell some one to look for that is important?Not much experience, but I always look for a relaxed pose(don't find too many though)Bruce Foster is good at it ;)

9. What was the coolest fish you ever caught and what was it? Why was this so cool for you? Tell us about your adventure and your fish!
Coolest fish I ever caught was an 11lb. Brown Trout. It wasn't my largest, but the shape and color were out of the ordinary. It was just a great time on the water with my Dad and Brother too :D

Bonus Question # 10
10. What are the only true bass of North Americas? Sea bass, Sunfish, Largemouth Bass, Small mouth Bass, Yellow Bass, White bass, Striped bass What makes a bass a bass?
Temperate Bass Family are sometimes called "True Bass"...White Bass, Yellow Bass, White Perch, Striped Bass.
They are called this to distinguish them from lmbass,smbass, and other black bass which are actually members of the Sunfish Family

Extra Bonus CD question!
Muskellunge-12-18
Northern Pike-10
Redfin & Chain Pickerel-8

Purpose:
Lateral Line Receptors

* IMG00013b.JPG (49 kB, 800x272 - viewed 864 times.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 08:17:02 PM by AnglingArtisan » Logged
Ken D
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 04:01:55 PM »

Sorry Im late!! Long weekend and a lot to do! Thanks again to Rick Krane for giving us something else to look foreward to each week.
Heres my best shot...have a great week! Ken

1. What make the white/blue glint in the pupil of a walleye eye in particular light? Walleye have reflective layer , as do most wild animals, called the tapetum lucidum at the back of the eye. This reflective layer multiplies the use of light in much the same way that a photographer reflects light in the studio. That milky glint is essentially  the same thing you see at a lesser degree in humans with red eye in photos, caused by the reflecting of reddish colored pigments in the back of the human eye.

Similar approach to recreating the slime effect on Bassusing transparent colors against chrome pearlessence...great shimmering effect if its localized in certain areas.

A good bit but not completely. For example, I rebuild the tongue and throat areas but do not build up the roof of the mouth. Painting is simplified for commercial work. If I only did fish, I suppose I would put much more effort into those areas.

I keep it well flushed between colors and when I finish a paint session, I take it apart and clean it. I use primarily lacquers and I give the final wash with acetone.

I thin them all down  but more or less depends on whether I am doing general paint application or detailing. I add a small amount of retarder to detail paints.

I have done this in several ways that I think are pretty standard, silicone in particular. There a number of epoxies that I have tried as well.

I think that really depends on the type of alteration you are doing and there is probably no right, wrong or single answer to that question.

Pay particular attention to details, undercuts and fins and mouth detail.

A sailfishand actually, I didnt catch itI was too sick to land itMy wife and I were several miles off the coast of Mexico with 4 other folksI had never been seasick before but this time the swells were enormous. Within minutes of hooking up the big fish, I was done. Too blue to continue. That was the worst trip of my life and by the time we went back in, all of us were sick!

Bonus Question # 10
10. What are the only true bass of North Americas? Sea bass, Sunfish, Largemouth Bass, Small mouth Bass, Yellow Bass, White bass, Striped bass
White Bass, Yellow Bass, Striper, White Perch
What makes a bass a bass?
Several characteristicsexamplesspiny dorsal separate from soft dorsal not guarders meaning they do not guard their young.

Extra Bonus CD question!
Muskellunge, Pike, Pickeral The cephalic system in conjunction with the lateralis system make up the lateral line system.  They are different systems with a different distribution of nerves and receptors but contribute to the same function. The lateral line system is a sensory system that gives fish an excellent sense of their surroundingsthe pores on the lower mandible and the sensory canals on these fish provide an added advantage of super sensitivitykind of like turbo charged senses!

Rick Krane
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 09:39:26 AM »

WOW! some many great answers this week! The answers to the 2 bonus questions read like a great ichthyological study on Bass and Esox! How cool! Along with great techniques It is also important to understand the anatomical feature which we recreate or must understand to be better at our craft! So big thank you to all! After long and hard discution with the other members of the fish Syndicate as acting body for a non bias ruling Mr. Frank Kotula of PA and Mr. Ken Darville of GA. are this weeks Big Winners of the All things fish CD's. Great job guys and thank you again to all the other great answers!

Until Next Week!

My Best! Try some thing new this week!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 33 « previous next »
Jump to: