Taxidermy Mini Course
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2019, 09:53:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Taxidermy Mini Course « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Taxidermy Mini Course  (Read 1616 times)
SurrySchool

Email
« on: January 06, 2015, 11:00:28 AM »

Dear Taxidermy Community,

It is with sadness that we must inform you that due to budget cuts at our college, as with other colleges throughout the state, we no longer have the staff or resources to promote, schedule, setup, and operate the Annual Taxidermy MiniCourse as we have for the past 9 years.  The colleges in the state have been experiencing tightened budgets in the past few years.  This reduced funding directly impacts the colleges ability to operate its programs.  Unfortunately, the situation shows no sign of improving at the community college level in the near future.

In addition, participation in the Taxidermy MiniCourse has declined in recent years. We have reached a point where the event proceeds do not fully offset the cost of the event and the college does not have a margin to cover it.  That, in combination with rising costs and reduced staffing, has made the MiniCourse unsustainable as a college operated event.

One of our purposes of taking on this event almost 10 years ago was to complement our year-round taxidermy training here at Surry Community College.  We will continue to offer our weekly, year-round classes that provide training to individuals wishing to learn commercial taxidermy or to improve their skills.  This will allow us to remain a part of the taxidermy industry.  We are still passionate about taxidermy, and it is this passion that has helped us to carry-on and provide the Taxidermy MiniCourse for as long as it was feasible.

Fortunately, there are a number of high-quality, state and national associations providing trade shows, with competitions and seminars that can serve as an alternative to the Taxidermy MiniCourse.

We are saddened to bring you this news, but we are pleased and honored that we were able to help extend the life of the Taxidermy MiniCourse for another 9 years reaching the 40th anniversary in 2014.

We want to thank you and all of the participants, vendors, instructors, competitors, judges and volunteers who have contributed so much over the years to the Annual Taxidermy MiniCourse.

Greg Smith
336 386 - 3331
Harry Whitehead
Platinum Member

I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 11:54:23 AM »

Sad to hear Greg.....I am proud to have been a part of the Mini Course....Sorry to see it go!!
Jim Tucker
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 01:22:30 PM »

Sad to see.   That was a long run...especially if you include Piedmont in the mix.  Unfortunately things are not getting any easier for ANY of our taxidermy organizations/events.

OHIO TAXIDERMISTS ASSOCIATION - http://ohiotaxidermists.wixsite.com/ohio
Clew
Platinum Member

Help a child, Build our future

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 06:42:49 PM »

Amen to that
Greg and his staff did a great job with the show
You could not find any one as friendly
My hats off to this group
Thanks for all you did

Carl
Rudy Eppley
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 11:14:40 PM »

Greg as a Supplier I just want to thank you for allowing us to come into your event and allow us to prosper as a business through your tremendous help. You and your team definately provided a top shelf show for all of the attendies and for that we thank you.

I will really miss your show and wish you the best in the future, thanks again for all the hard work the Surry Community College and yourself provided to all of us. 

We really apreciated it!

tanner
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »

I would like to thank Greg and the Gang from the college and all of the vendors and instructors for putting forth the effort to make the Mini Course one of greatest events of the year. I always looked forward to being there and seeing old and new friends. This event will be greatly missed. Maybe like all great bands we can have a reunion tour when funds become available again. Hope to see everyone at other events through the year. Again thanks for the memories.

Mike( Tanman )Tanner
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Taxidermy Mini Course « previous next »
Jump to: