In Loving Memory of Norman K. Meyer
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2019, 10:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: In Loving Memory of Norman K. Meyer « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: In Loving Memory of Norman K. Meyer  (Read 1797 times)
John Janelli
Platinum Member

Email
« on: January 12, 2016, 02:19:26 PM »

Norman K. Meyer - September 17, 1929 - December 20, 2015

May of us old timers may recall that Norm Meyer was an NTA charter member, NTA board member (1972 - 1983) and NTA vice president (1984 - 1985). He was also a former chairman of the National Taxidermists Hall of Fame and in 1990 became an inductee as well. Having served our country during the Korean war in Army 82ND Airborne, Norm successfully went on to run his own taxidermy studio in Miamitown, Ohio where he developed and marketed his own technique of fish fill taxidermy that became the choice of many more taxidermists than one would believe.
Knowing Norm as personally as I have, his passion was the National Taxidermist Hall of Fame. Every slide, photo and document he ever placed into the custody of yours truly, is safe and sound here for future research and referential purposes that may someday come to be needed in the future.   
Of the many achievements that Norm realized in his life, teaching taxidermy at Princeton High School and at Northern Kentucky University were among his numerous other contributions to our industry. He never stopped 'teaching' taxidermy nor did he need a classroom to do it from. In many ways, Norm was a personal mentor to me in all the years of my service to the NTA by always being just a phone call away. He will forever be remembered in the vault of my heart for helping little boys and girls mount their trout that they personally caught in special indoor trout ponds that were at the New York City sportsmen show back in 1964. There was a 10 year old boy there whose little hands were guided by Norm's as the small trout was skinned, cleaned, boraxed, filled and sewn in less time that it would take to read the New York Post. Today, that little boy now thanks Norm Meyer, as he begins his new life with all the other NTHF inductees he never had the chance to meet, in whatever section of Heaven that taxidermists go to be with each other, and their God.
Thank you Norm for everything you did for the NTA, our industry and of course, for this NTA past president too.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:19:41 AM by John Janelli » Logged
Richard C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 02:36:06 PM »

My condolences to the Meyer family. I remember Norm from the early 70's at the NTA shows . Norm 's fish mix fill method revolutionised  fish taxidermy at that time. Norm was a positive source in taxidermy.
boxerpet
Silver Member

Harry Paulson-grateful

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 01:36:48 PM »

John,
Thanks for the notification on Norm.
I remember him well in early NTA days.
He was always a kind well spoken gentleman and a pleasure to be around.
For those of you newer taxidermists you missed not having known him you missed a man who contributed much to a younger taxidermy industry.
RIP my friend.

Waterdude Rick
Platinum Member
Location: Laughery Valley/Ohio-Indiana-Kentucky/Tri-State Area

You gotta KILL IT... before you can GRILL IT!

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 01:30:32 PM »

LOVED NORMAN LIKE A FATHER. HE TOOK ME IN AT 14 AND I MIXED HIS FISH MIX AND ASSEMBLED THE OLD FISH MOUNTING AND SMALL ANIMAL MOUNTING KITS BACK IN THE DAY. EVENTUALLY HE WORKED ME INTO HIS STUDIO AND TAUGHT ME THE ART OF TAXIDERMY. I ASSISTED HIM FOR YEARS IN HIS STUDIO AND SCHOOL. HE LIVED LOCAL AND I SAW AND SPENT TIME WITH HIM AND UNTIL THE END WAS ALWAYS AN INSPIRATION TO ME. GOING TO MISS THE "OL MAN" TERRIBLY. PRAYERS UP TO DOT AND HIS ENTIRE FAMILY.

Laughery Valley Outdoor Products
      Animal Artistry by Christman
       www.Antler-Addiction.com
    Fresh, Pure Whitetail Deer Urines
   Vita-Mineral Supplements for Deer
 Proven Hunting Products that WORK!
    Fair-Chase Whitetails DVD Series
  Kevlar Gloves
Waterdude Rick
Platinum Member
Location: Laughery Valley/Ohio-Indiana-Kentucky/Tri-State Area

You gotta KILL IT... before you can GRILL IT!

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 01:32:59 PM »

MY FAVORITE PIC OF NORM!!!     REST IN PEACE OL MAN!

Im trying to locate some of the pics I have of us working on President Roosevelt's Red Kangaroo and Wallaby that were on display in the Smithsonian Museum. I will post them when I find them.

* 916901.jpg (7.42 kB, 122x150 - viewed 232 times.)

Laughery Valley Outdoor Products
      Animal Artistry by Christman
       www.Antler-Addiction.com
    Fresh, Pure Whitetail Deer Urines
   Vita-Mineral Supplements for Deer
 Proven Hunting Products that WORK!
    Fair-Chase Whitetails DVD Series
  Kevlar Gloves
Joey P Holmes
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 08:42:01 PM »

Only met him a couple of times, many years ago.

I will always remember that he was nice to me.

May God's peace, love, wisdom, strength, and comfort be with all who knew him, loved him, and now mourn.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: In Loving Memory of Norman K. Meyer « previous next »
Jump to: