Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 42
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2019, 01:55:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 42 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 42  (Read 5548 times)
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WWW Email
« on: December 10, 2006, 01:14:44 AM »

Good Sunday Morning! Week 42 10 weeks left to go and the Sunday Morning Questions will come up on one year.  I can only hope the Sunday Morning ritual which started out as a question from a friend to help stir some interest in the fish section of the WASCO forum has provided information and a little bit of fun from time to time as you ponder over your Sunday morning coffee.

Well I hope this weeks contribution of fish food for thought shares some entertainment and knowledge for you.

I thank you and WASCO for letting me share in my passion "FISH! As long as you keep answering the questions, I will keep writing them.

So with out further ado! Lets Get the morning stared to a new week with some fish taxidermy talk! The good people at WASCO give us the free opportunity here to share information so we can be better-informed taxidermist! So in the spirit of WASCO generosity we share freely with each other!

1. What do you think is the coolest fish and why?

2. How do you make teeth for coldwater fish?

3. Tipping: we read a lot about tipping tell us how you tip and what do you feel works best for you?

4. When faced with a very silver salmon or a steelhead (chromer) what do you do to help prevent the delicate scales from coming off?

5. As the price of everything has gone up form materials, shipping, even gas to go to the post office; have you gone up in your prices if so how much and how did you factor this in?

6. Whats your favorite epoxy to use for tissue building or blending of parts together and why?

7. Other than on the forums do you talk to other taxidermists in your area?

8. What is the toughest aspect of traditional fish taxidermy for you?  Skinning, fleshing, carving, mounting, finishing or painting which one(s) of theses aspects do you find most difficult and why?

9. Do you ever trade services for services?  If so how do you go about doing this i.e. do you trade straight up at equal value?  If no, why not?  What are your thoughts?

Bonus Question 10:  Whats this fish?  Tell me what it is and how do we know this? See Picture Below. I will send one of my free fish reference CD to the first correct participant. Over 125 Photo from my own personal photos. Good luck!!!

It is all because of you and your awesome replies this has become so successful!
From beginners to the seasoned pro's every one contributes and all benefit from your great experiences! Let see if I we can get more responses on the forum as well as in my email. I will give you some free fish reference photos for the asking just for contributing!
As always I just think your answers are so good more and more contribute on here for all see!

My Best and have fun with this!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451

* #10.jpg (71.36 kB, 900x511 - viewed 964 times.)

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

http://anglersartistry.com
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
Rdrash

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 04:22:57 AM »

well I am not a taxidermest but I have started to try my hand at doing my own fish for personal pleasure. and this is my first post so please have patience.

right now I would have to say the arctic char. fishing has been great this winter with a 10+ lb already in the ice shanty as foar as the coolest I have cuaght some that are bright silver and brilliant white with the pale pink spots to monstrous neon orange fish that make me look for the nuclear power plant near by.

I have yet to try and make my own teeth! why would there be a difference for coldwater or warm/saltwater fish

3. Tipping: we read a lot about tipping tell us how you tip and what do you feel works best for you?

4. When faced with a very silver salmon or a steelhead (chromer) what do you do to help prevent the delicate scales from coming off?  I am trying fish taxidermy as a hobby and have not tried a salmonid ........yet

5. As the price of everything has gone up form materials, shipping, even gas to go to the post office; have you gone up in your prices if so how much and how did you factor this in?

not an issue for myself although local services being in alaska have begun adding a fuel surcharge ontop of regualr fee's

6. Whats your favorite epoxy to use for tissue building or blending of parts together and why?

mostly because I am familiar with it in other applications I have only used ABOWELD for seam blending and have used abocast to make my own form with good success

No I have not.

8. What is the toughest aspect of traditional fish taxidermy for you?  Skinning, fleshing, carving, mounting, finishing or painting which one(s) of theses aspects do you find most difficult and why?

I am very intimidated to try a skin mount.   

9. Do you ever trade services for services?  If so how do you go about doing this i.e. do you trade straight up at equal value?  If no, why not?  What are your thoughts

every person has a different quality of work they think is acceptable craftsmanship is not something most people put much value in these days I want a person to look at something and say "wow nice work who did this."  rather than "who did this and did you pay for it?"  so very rarely would I trade services without knowing the quality I could expect

10. I think is a chinook or "King salmon. a king will have large spots down its back and on both lobes of the tail and the interior of the mouth will be dark with a black gum line. that fish looks to have been in fresh water for a day or two one can also expect large strong teeth that will emerge more and more as the fish is in fresh water if it is a king salmon I know this because I am an alaskan
JP a.k.a Taxi-lover
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 06:05:29 AM »

Dead and frozen =) ! No kidding,I love brown trout, don't know reason why...

With silicon or epoxy.

I use mostly pens for tipping but also fine brush.

4. When faced with a very silver salmon or a steelhead (chromer) what do you do to help prevent the delicate scales from coming off?
I will use hair dryer to dry skin and then seal it with glue (water base). After mounting it comes of easily with water.

---

I've used only Apoxie sculp and like it .

Yes. I ask if a have problems and also talk about fishing and hunting generally.

I find painting to be most difficult part for me and second it will be carving perfect body. Painting is difficult,because I don't have good enough paints and I always use too much paint. My eye isn't trained enough to see when I have added paint enough and when I seal fish I see that I've added too much paint. Also good tipping is a problem to me.

9. Do you ever trade services for services?  If so how do you go about doing this i.e. do you trade straight up at equal value?  If no, why not?  What are your thoughts?
--
Bonus Question 10:  Whats this fish?  Tell me what it is and how do we know this? See Picture Below.
First I thought it would be chinook but maybe it's a steelhead with very dark colour's? :-\ (NOT!)

I have a dream...more trophies on my wall!
Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 06:10:12 AM »

Tropical fish to me are the coolest. It's there variance of colors

2. How do you make teeth for coldwater fish? A few way I do it, mostly I use epo-grips tooth mix or I use cabosil and resin.

Depends on the service. If a place has great service then I tip 20% ok service then 10-15% anything less then that I just leave a penny.
No I use many different powders and liquid mediums for tipping. They all work fine it's the out come I'm trying to achieve that will determine what I may use at that time.

I salt those fish to help keep the scales on. Salt draws moisture out from the fish and set the scales in. It may take an hour or two for this to happen but the scales stay and the meat also stays on the flesh not the skin.

Not at this time for fish, I'm still ok with that but as far as my other work goes yes that has gone up from 5 to 10%. Most taxidermists here have still stayed the same for trying to get business.

I have two and that's apoxie sculpt and epo-grips seam repair.
Apoxie sculpt is great for all my repair work as far as the head to skin, fins, mouth interior. When I'm doing a show piece and my seam needs good work I will use the epoxy first to fill what ever voids I have and then use the seam repair on top of that. This is just for scaled fish. If it's a pitted fish then it's all apoxie sculpt.

Not generally my area. I have a few who like to come over and see me talk about it on the phone and we enjoy the company. Most generally they are into their business and try to take work away for you. Many do not work with each other but avoid each other. It's a rat race here and many are jealous over what a person may have accomplished in the business.

8. What is the toughest aspect of traditional fish taxidermy for you?  Skinning, fleshing, carving, mounting, finishing or painting which one(s) of theses aspects do you find most difficult and why?
At this time it's pretty much ok. All those problems I have worked out and who ever needs help I'm them I try to explain what I do and hopefully help them out in getting themselves past the rough areas.

9. Do you ever trade services for services?  NO
If so how do you go about doing this i.e. do you trade straight up at equal value?  If no, why not?  What are your thoughts?
I'm a person who like to control his own work. Rather than sub out I like to learn on how to get better from a person who the knowledge I need and learn from them. From there I place it back to my work so I can give a better quality piece.

Bonus Question 10:  Whats this fish? Sushi    :-X  tell me what it is and how do we know this? See Picture Below. I will send one of my free fish reference CD to the first correct participant. Over 125 Photo from my own personal photos. Good luck!!!

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
Chad See
Silver Member

Certified "Fish Head"

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 08:01:32 AM »

Good morning!  Been a while since I have answered, but I find myself today with a bit of free time(yeah right!, its not free, it's just me being lazy)  Anyways, thanks again for the questions.

1. I am partial to brown trout, I just really like them, but then again, brookies are awesome as well.  So, maybe I would go with a tiger trout which is a little of both?!  Yeah, tigers are cool to me.

2. I have been using epo grip fish tooth for a while.  It seems to work ok. 

3. I have been using shiva irridecent paint sticks and a small artists brush.  I also us various paints and apply them with a brush as well.

4. I have never had the opportunity to do one of these silver fish, but I would assume I would go about it very carefully.  

5. I did raise my rates this season, but it was only partially because of the factors you listed.  My quality has gone up as I have learned some new techniques.  I raised 2 dollars an inch this season.  I am now charging 12.

6. I have always used apoxie sculpt.

7. I sure do!  As a matter of fact, I have learned as much from one of my locals as I have from anywhere.  He is one of my best friends, and I GREATLY appreciate all he has done for me.  He is an open book and freely shares any info that he can.  I do the same for him, but there isnt a lot that I feel I can teach him.

8.  For me, it is the positioning of fins, the rebuilding and blending the apoxie scuplt, and the scale tipping. I guess that is three, but those are areas I struggle in. 

9. I have done this before.  My last trade was for a new bow.  I traded some touch up work on an old whitetail shoulder mount.  I quoted the guy a price and when I bought my bow, it was simply deducted from what I owed him.  Any time I trade, the person figures on giving me the full value of my service as I would have no reason to trade for less. 

Bonus Question 10:  Whats this fish?  Tell me what it is and how do we know this? See Picture Below. I will send one of my free fish reference CD to the first correct participant. Over 125 Photo from my own personal photos. Good luck!!!

10.  Wild guess here, but is that a coho salmon.  I only say this as the spots do not look like that of a chinook and towards the tail I can see some pinkish color.  I have seen cohos in NY that were that color.  Coho maybe??
Pescado
Platinum Member

Biggest in 2011

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 08:42:06 AM »

Brook Trout   They are about the most beautiful thing on the North American continent. They are also a great challenge for even the best fish taxidermists.

Silicone (caulk type) or cabosil enriched smooth out epoxy

Most of the time a bit of rub n buff on a finger. I also use a filbert brush ( different sizes for different size scales) with a number of different mediums.

Rick...
This response submitted by Paul B on 4/1/06 at 3:23 PM. ( [email protected] ) 24.236.222.110

Silver steelhead and Chinook salmon can be skinned with scale intact, but it takes a bit of time. The last ones I've done where partially thawed and the show side was then covered with about a 1/4 inch of fine salt. I then put the fish back in the freezer wrapped in a dry towel for a few days. I then partially thawed fish again and proceeded to skin it with one of my cheek tools instead of a knife. The skin was stiff but still pliable with the scales locked in very tight. I skinned it so close there was no need to scrape when finished. I soaked it in degreaser for 24 hours and then a fish tan for another 24 hours and mounted it up with no scale loss. This was a 20 lb super chrome steelhead caught in Lk Michigan. I have had the same results with July caught Kings. I have also noticed that there seems to be no oil left in the skin to bleed out as it dries. It seems I always need to wipe off some small oil spots as the bigger trout/salmon dry, but not the salted ones. Do make sure and wash the skin very thoroughly (but gently) before mounting to make sure all salt residue is removed. I have had problems in the past for not washing good enough.
Paul B

No price increase on fish. I have thought about lowering my bear hunt prices though. The economy in Michigan is in a bad way right now and people are not spending what they did a few years back

Apoxie Sculpt  It is easy to use and is non toxic

Any time I get the chance.

I don't really see any one aspect as being more difficult than another.

I will barter with just about anyone for anything. I have a 1971 Mercedes I took in on trade for a bear hunt deposit. There is some value in just about anything, to the right person.

Looks exactly like the Coho  that spawn in the creek in my front yard. These are smaller Lake Michigan fish, the bigger ones don't usually venture up the small tributaries, which is what I have on my property.

Paul Borkowski
Blue Ribbon Taxidermy & Supply
Agawa Canyon Outfitters, LTD.
bigfish90
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 09:03:53 AM »

Walleye, I like fishing for them, I fished the pro circuit for 10 years.

Tooth product from Star Fish.

Various ways depending on if it wholesale or retail. Metallic Sharpies,paint sticks, a brush and pearls.

I have been coating them in salt for 25 years and it works great. I use it on all coldwater not just the chromers it tightens the scales and breaks down the adipose layer between the meat and the skin.

Yes, my rate goes the first of the year. I'm raising it $1.50 an inch.

Apoxie Paste, I heat the two parts in micro before mixing and it it will smooth to a very fine edge.

Yes

8. What is the toughest aspect of traditional fish taxidermy for you?  Skinning, fleshing, carving, mounting, finishing or painting which one(s) of theses aspects do you find most difficult and why?

Finishing, takes too mush time to get it to look real.

9. Do you ever trade services for services?  If so how do you go about doing this i.e. do you trade straight up at equal value?  If no, why not?  What are your thoughts?

Yes, I sometimes trade for a charter and its straight up equal price.

Bonus Question 10:  Whats this fish?  Tell me what it is and how do we know this?

At first look I was thinking fall river King but It looks like I see white gums, maybe it is a Coho, it is some type of hatchery fish because of the deformed dorsal fin.
fish-slayer

fish slayer

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 10:41:58 AM »

Brook trout. this was the first fish I painted , and will always remember the alpine lakes I fished years ago when there was little, or no pressure on the lake. Incredibly beautiful fish & averaged 15" to 20". Those days are gone!

Silicone

Artist brush, my favorite music & a real comfy chair.

I take a look at my business from a profit/ loss standpoint quarterly and if I am increasing volume/profit by at least 5% every quarter, then I don't worry about it.
If I am not reaching my goals then I take a look at my marketing campaign as well as factor in leading economic indicators, then make changes considering all aspects to improve my bottom line.Just raising prices does not always solve the problem unless you raise the level of the finished product to justify the increase.

. Whats your favorite epoxy to use for tissue building or blending of parts together and why?

Apoxie sculpt (non-toxic)

There are a couple guys I check in with regularly. It is important to build relationships with other guys in the industry. We are not in competition with each other. There are plenty of slices in the pie for all of us & we can learn a great deal from each other.

Blank preperation. If you start with a bad canvas it won't matter how good your paint is.

I have done trades for goods, and for the most part it works fine. There have been situations where I have traded for services and felt a little short-changed. I would continue to trade for goods, but would be hesitatnt to trade for services again.

If I could see more of the tail & snout I might say it is a coho (coho have spots on the upper lobe of the caudal where chinook have spots throughout, but I think it is a chinook. Either way that salmon is spent!

Fish slayer
Dave Smith
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 01:36:18 PM »

1: I like roosterfish and freshwater dorado- also big brookies
2: Waterclear resin with just a touch of white pigment and cabosil
3: Spray on base colors, then paint the entire scale- each scale twice, then lightly base colrs again, then paint entire scale 1 to three more times with a sprayed coat between each hand painted coat. On the last two hand painted coats, I will paint more on one edge if needed.
4: Gave up on this years ago- now I make a mold of the fish and recarve any missing scales back into the mold.
5: I have actually lowered my price back down to what I was charging around ten years ago. I charged based on how many hours I had into each fish, but took a good, hard, honest look at my work and sort of had to "get over myself" and realize my fish weren't worth what I was charging- Now I look at it as a great challenge.
6: Apoxie Sculpt- very smooth and a long pot life
7: Seldom if ever- I am a recluse and not very social. I like everyone I have met and really miss not seeing/talking with them for sometimes years at a time- working on that, too.
8: Probably carving or mounting. What I like about skin mounts is that they are, at least partly, a "real" fish. If I don't carve the body exactly like their fish- they would be better off having me mold it- otherwise it is just a free-hand carved version of the shape of their fish- I'm not qualified like alot of these talented people are.
9: Yes- I go retail for retail. Simpler that way. What I won't do is trade a fish for a guided trip or something. You could spend 100 hours on their fish and they could be done with their part in a couple days. I would rather be my own guide. I admit that I like it when it goes the other way, though. I am a goose hunting guide and just took a guy yesterday in trade for him installing a new gas furnace in my shop- he seemed very happy so what are ya going to do?
10: Now I don't have the fish picture in front of me but at first glance it looked like a chinook- maybe a jack. I am editing this post because when I first looked at it- the head and tail were cut off because of my favorites window. Originally, I said there is a chance it could be a coho- though it still could, I am officially guessing chinook. it looks to me like it has spots on the lower lobe of the tail, also, and like the gumline on the lower jaw is black- chinook- maybe chinook jack.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 09:50:24 PM by BIGUN » Logged
den007
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 02:51:52 PM »

No time for all the questions, but I will go with Coho.

Dennis Murawska
Angler's Art Taxidermy
"To live is not necessary...
To fish is necessary."   Latin inscription
JL
Platinum Member

Taxidermist for 64 years

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 04:42:29 PM »

Small COHO Salmon

Do one thing better than others and let others do their thing.....JL
Mark V.
Silver Member

Chinook Salmon replica

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 09:14:19 PM »

1. What do you think is the coolest fish and why? Lots of cool fish out there but I like trout and salmon species the best.  A few of my favorites are the Brook trout,Rainbow trout and Steelhead. For fight I like the steelhead the best.

2. How do you make teeth for coldwater fish? I use a bondo/gelcoat mix to make teeth on coldwater species.

3. Tipping: we read a lot about tipping tell us how you tip and what do you feel works best for you? I use a few different things to tip scales pen markers and small paintbrushes with a variety of paints.

4. When faced with a very silver salmon or a steelhead (chromer) what do you do to help prevent the delicate scales from coming off? I will sometimes use denatured alcohol as I'm skinning. If all else fails I will scale the whole fish but very rarely.

5. As the price of everything has gone up form materials, shipping, even gas to go to the post office; have you gone up in your prices if so how much and how did you factor this in? Yes we have gone up gradually over the years. Usually 50 cent to one dollar per year and now charge for driftwoof on all fish which we used to include on alot of species.

6. Whats your favorite epoxy to use for tissue building or blending of parts together and why? Apoxie sculpt from Aves. I like the way it mixes and has a smooth creamy texture.

7. Other than on the forums do you talk to other taxidermists in your area? Yes I talk to a few in my area to exchange ideas and do some work for one of them.

8. What is the toughest aspect of traditional fish taxidermy for you?  Skinning, fleshing, carving, mounting, finishing or painting which one(s) of theses aspects do you find most difficult and why? I think carving mannikins would be one of the toughest aspects followed by painting. if I was tarting out again I would say carving because of the endless shapes of fishes.

9. Do you ever trade services for services?  If so how do you go about doing this i.e. do you trade straight up at equal value?  If no, why not?  What are your thoughts? No

Bonus Question 10:  Whats this fish?  Tell me what it is and how do we know this? See Picture Below. I will send one of my free fish reference CD to the first correct participant. Over 125 Photo from my own personal photos. Good luck!!! Im going to say a mixed breed of some sort maybe. A steelhead coho mix not sure it really has characters of both although I lean towards coho but the spotting on the tail throw me off as i believe coho only have spots on a portion of their tail. If its a coho I would say female.
Monty Artrip
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 07:53:43 AM »

1. What do you think is the coolest fish and why? I love all coldwater fish. If I had to choose one, it would be a brooky. The colors absolutely amaze me.

2. How do you make teeth for coldwater fish? Smoothout and cabasil. Clear silicone tips for comp fish.

3. Tipping: we read a lot about tipping tell us how you tip and what do you feel works best for you? usually a brush trimmed short and various paints. I like the Orthobers Wildlife Colors tipping.

4. When faced with a very silver salmon or a steelhead (chromer) what do you do to help prevent the delicate scales from coming off? Salt. If a few fall out, I am going to paint them in anyway.

5. As the price of everything has gone up form materials, shipping, even gas to go to the post office; have you gone up in your prices if so how much and how did you factor this in? Most clients understand that inflation is a fact of life and my price reflects that.

6. Whats your favorite epoxy to use for tissue building or blending of parts together and why?A-poxy Sculpt. It mixes easy and is reportedly fairly safe.

7. Other than on the forums do you talk to other taxidermists in your area? Only one who is a good friend. Most others come and go so quick I never meet them.

8. What is the toughest aspect of traditional fish taxidermy for you?  Skinning, fleshing, carving, mounting, finishing or painting which one(s) of theses aspects do you find most difficult and why?Probably carving forms. I realized that this is a necessity to have correct anatomy and taking steps to become proficient at it. Rick's class has helped me improve on this more than anything. I am very excited about this. Realizing your weak areas is the key to improvement.

9. Do you ever trade services for services?  If so how do you go about doing this i.e. do you trade straight up at equal value?  If no, why not?  What are your thoughts? Only once, and it was for equal value. It was a plumbing job which was traded for a walleye mount. Worked out well.

Bonus Question 10:  Whats this fish?  Tell me what it is and how do we know this? See Picture Below. I will send one of my free fish reference CD to the first correct participant. Over 125 Photo from my own personal photos. Good luck!!! Looks like a jack (immature chinook).

Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 11:33:40 AM »

Great answers the week!!!!

Some many folks big a great Job at IDing the Coho! it is a small Jack Coho from Alaska and COHO See was the first this week to get correct! I'll have a nother tricky one this week!

Have a safe and a productive week! I'm posting a few of Travis Petersons workshop photos in the training section.

My Best!

Rick Krane

* coho jack 006.jpg (32.08 kB, 400x300 - viewed 836 times.)

* coho jack 012.jpg (37.15 kB, 400x300 - viewed 816 times.)

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

http://anglersartistry.com
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Sunday morning questions(SMQ's) part 42 « previous next »
Jump to: