1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Photography Question

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joeym, Dec 11, 2006.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I am taking digital photos of finished specimens in preparation for building a website. I notice that many of the backdrops seem to be a billowy white.blue combination. Is this something that you purchase or make? Any photography tips would be appreciated. I have taken very few decent photos.

2. buckeyebullet23

buckeyebullet23 New Member

Ohio
    A tip i was given was to put two 500w flood lights behind you for lighting and nothing else. Photograph your mount 3 feet in front of your backdrop. You can get any color backdrop off of ebay or just go to Walmart. Stick with a color that doesn't take away from the mount. Good luck.

3. Missouri Creek Studio

Missouri Creek Studio Black buck Walnut pedestal

You can also purchase full size musllin backgrounds from Porters camera store ( run a search on google) they are located in Iowa and sell all types of equipment. A few tips, if you incandescent bulbs, adjust you camera settings for this type of lighting other wise your photos may end up witha undesirable warm yellow color shift..... I use a velor black background for many of my shoots, it absorbs light and isolates or mount very effectively, making it stand out. Hint don't use aq dark color for a dark animal.. black bear ect

4. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Contact a local photographer. I think it's worth every penny. The photographer I use is quite reasonable. They don't have to worry about the subject sitting still or smiling. www.midstatetaxidermy.com

5. Yeah this is something I have been trying to get lined out as well. I stay to busy to get mounts over to a photographer most days. Plus mounts dont generaly stay around very long. If I dont snap a pic right after I finish it then one uasualy doesn't get taken.

6. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

I agree. It's tough to do and I most certainly don't do it for every project. I'd rather pick up the phone and tell the customer to come pick it up and pay me any day than call the photographer first.