1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Nasal bones loosening.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Muskrat24, Aug 12, 2008.

1. I have two deer skulls from last youth season. Mine and a buddy's. I put mine in with the beetles after I shot it and it sat their for a while because the beetles were working a bit slow on it. I took it out and set it on a shelf until recently and put it in a bucket of water to macerate what was left over so the beetles could work on the other deer skull, I had finished that one without any problems. Anyways it had sat in the water for quite some time and I emptied it out about 4 months ago, and it has sat on a shelf since. I looked at it today because I had some time and just remembered about it, and noticed the nose bones are loose. What will cause bones to become loose? This is not my picture but the areas circled are where it is coming loose.

[​IMG]

Also what can I do to fix it? Thank you for your time

2. hey mate they can come loose for any reason really like when it dried they just came loose or they swelled slightly when wet and mad the gap bigger any way just get some super glue and problem solved it is what i do. i actually take the very front bones out and glue them back in.

3. elmers or clear epoxy can solve that in a few minutes. i'm not that big of a fan on the super glue elmers and/or epoxy always work great.

4. avie

avie Member

put a rubber band tight around the nose and pull the split nose tight, turn skull upside down and run super glue down the split and let dry..repeat...repeat... as for the two loose front nose bones, superglue them and push them in tight. done this for years and works everytime..I do it right after maceration b/c I know they are goiing to split.

5. ReporterSr

ReporterSr If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

Maceration, drying out, time, or a combination thereod, causes the connective tissues between all bones to break down. I use Elmer's to fix it. Super Glue frustrates me because it dries so damned fast.