1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

chaulking for birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by strike, Sep 10, 2006.

1. strike

strike New Member

What is the purpose of chaulking is bird taxidermy? I learned without it. Skin dries and stay in place. Or is it used as a filler? Thanks for the help.

2. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Latex caulk is used as an avian "hide paste" It more or less keeps feather tracts where you put them without pinning and excessive carding.. It takes some getting used to , but it does make life easier when it comes to grooming a bird.

Jon~

3. Pat-M

Pat-M New Member

Hey Strike, I'm just a beginner but I learned the lesson of Caulk. My first Turkey I didn't use any and as the hide shrunk over the next couple weeks the feather tracks pulled creating a distinct definition vs/ a smooth transition. My second Turkey I used cauk. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I'll always use caulk from now on. In fact I'll be using it when i do ducks as well.

Pat-M

4. Silicon is better than caulk. It kicks faster so you can get rid of the bird faster and the tracks are set before the skin dries so you don't loose your pattern. But know that it does set alot quicker than caulk so when preening don't piss around, get it done.