1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Zimbabwe skins

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by huntertaxi, Aug 15, 2008.

1. I get skins from a taxidermist who get his skins from Zimbabwe. The skins does not hidrate at all and the salt that they use has a orange/amber colour to it.
    I was thinking of allowing some acid swelling to take place and see if one can not have some success in hydrating it. Any suggestions from the forum.

Jaco

2. are you talking about raw/salted skins or tanned skins?

3. Good day Old Shaver.
    Thank you for your responce. I would like you to explain the term "surfactant" I am not all that familiar with the word. English is not my first language. I have tried the dictionary but to no avail.
    Await your responce.
    Best regards.
    Jaco

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I hope OldShaver don't mind - but a surfactant usually refers to a product that breaks down the water tension of your solution and aids penetration, and likewise - rehydration. TASCO sells a surfactant product called Ultra-Soft (US-609) that worked extremely well for us - particularly on air drieds and African skins!

5. bruce you were missed at the ny state show, we hope and pray your wife is doing better.

bob and ann

6. Good day Bruce.
    Thank you for your respons. Its the same stuff that the farmers use to aid with the spread rate of their chemicals when they spray their crops?
    It goes by a couple of names but all does the same stuff.
    I was wondering if one could use it throughout the tanning process? I know that some process use positive and negatives to draw each other but if it helps the little buggers to slip easily into the skin then why not?

Eagerly await your responce.

Hope the misses is doing well.
    Cheers.
    Jaco