1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreaser

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by fireboy233, Aug 17, 2008.

1. What is the general oppion on the use of these products for coons. KEMAL 4 or Super Solvent De greaser I have not used any degrease ever so I would like to know what works before I go out and buy the wrong thing and have to spend more money replacing it. Thanks for any replies. And I did a search and was not informed to my liking so I am posting thanks again.

2. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

TASCO's Super Solvent (Catalog #SS-618) is one of the best. Remove your skins from the pickle, drain for 30 minutes - soak them in the Super Solvent solution for 30 minutes - remove - rinse and put them back into the pickle. It's fast (30 minutes soak), does an excellent job degreasing, and its biodegradable too.

I personally think you'd like it.

For info on the KEMAL product - contact Knoblochs.

3. Thanks Bruce

4. Bruce I found what I think you are talking about but under EZ612 same stough?

5. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Dan may have changed the Catalog numbers for his own system - but if its listed as a fomer RITTEL's product - that's the one.

6. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Kemal 4 is nothing but a liquid soap,,, I degreased a greasy Beaver with soaking in fairly heavy DAWN solution twice, half an hour each time,,, and it worked sweet.

7. Just Dawn and water no chemicals.

8. I would assume that it would need both qualities with aggregating being the dominant. I am new and learning though. What is the answer?

JW

9. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

The answer to oldshaver's question is #2
    I do not think Dawn will lacerate fat cells within the structure of the skin. A good example of a fat problem is fatty birds. Wire wheeling gets down between the quills and cuts it loose. Most bird guys and girls use dwan to wash this loose fat off of the skin. After cleaning , tumbling ,and drying notice if you missed any fat with the wheel, that fat will still be there and require attention. I do not think Dawn by itself will get fat out of the skin structure. Dawn washes the fat off the surface, leaving you with a false reading as to how much fat is left in the skin.

Proper degreasing is the most important step to me , prior to the tanning step. Tanning agents will not work through fat

10. Took Bruce's advice and ordered the Super Solvent I thank everyone for the posts.