1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Taxidermy Net Forum: Ten Years Old and Going Strong

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by Ken Edwards, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Last Thursday marked the 10th anniversary of the Taxidermy Net Forum. If you were one of the 263 people who visited the Taxidermy Net on August 13, 1998, you were greeted by our home page announcing a new section:

[​IMG]

If you clicked on the link to the NEW TAXIDERMY FORUMS, you were taken to our original welcome page:

[​IMG]

On that day, there were three new posts made to the Forums, a welcoming post by me, a question about lobster injection chemicals which went unanswered, and a question about whitetail antlers which was answered by Rick Carter, John Bellucci, and Bill Yox. Talk about consistency! Here are the posts from that first day, still available in the archives.

• <a href="http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/BeginnersArticles/NKH9O6.html"> Welcome to the Beginners Taxidermy Forum (8/14/1998)</a> Size: 4K. Last Modified: Tuesday, October 13, 1998
    • <a href="http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/ReptileArticles/NL6V75.html">New Chemical for Crustations? (8/14/1998)</a> Size: 2K. Last Modified: Friday, August 14, 1998
    • <a href="http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/DeerTaxiArticles/NL9GB4.html">Rubbery Whitetail Antlers (8/14/1998)</a> Size: 11K. Last Modified: Saturday, March 6, 1999

When the Forums came online, we averaged about 300 unique visitors each day.
    By 1999 it was up to 900 visitors.
    In 2000 we averaged 1600 visitors.
    In 2001 we averaged 2200 visitors.
    In 2002 we averaged 3000 visitors.
    In 2003 we averaged 4200 visitors.
    In 2004 we averaged 5800 visitors.
    In 2005 we averaged 6900 visitors.
    In 2006 we averaged 8000 visitors.
    In 2007 we averaged 9000 visitors.
    And now in 2008 we have over 10,000 unique visitors each day, accounting for over 30,000 visits per day, which means most people check the Forum several times per day. We currently serve about 1/4 million page views each day, which is quite a load!

Here is what I wrote nine years ago, on the occasion of the first anniversary of the Taxidermy Net Forums:

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

That is so cool :) It sure has come a long way and I bet you all had no clue it would turn out to be THE site for taxidermists from all over the world :)
    Its definetly the one and only site where you can find everything you need on taxidermy :)

3. Fred Barilla

Fred Barilla Member

Ken,

Time flies when you're having fun! Thank you so much for all of the hard work you do for this great forum and for this fine industry. Outstanding job!!! Keep up the great work!!!

Fred Barilla

4. jbnf

jbnf New Member

Are some of the original members here still active? Just curious who has ridden the storm for the past ten years on here. I have only been here a few months and I have gained so much information and tips that I could have never gotten by just talking to the local taxidermist.

I appreciate everything this website is about. Thanks!!

5. Bob Coughlin

Bob Coughlin New Member

Hey Ken,
    Its funny, I just put a post up to Yox asking him about the old times. Talk about timing! I cant believe its been 10 yrs.
    Bob

6. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Congratulations Mr. Edwards, on a job that has gone far and above the "call of duty"...And thank you for providing the taxidermy world a place to come together on a daily basis- it just ROCKS!!! There are many challenges and difficulties that you handle on a daily basis, and there are some within our industry that despise this site its not all fun and games, and for all of that, you deserve a medal!!!!(and maybe a vvveeeeery tall glass of JACK!!! ;) HAPPY TEN TAXI-NET!!! Long may you LIVE!!!

7. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Ken, thank you, once again for this wonderful site. I have been here for only 1 1/2 yrs. and have made many friends. This a wonderful learning tool.

8. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Bob,

I saw your post on the UTNY topic this morning and it brought back a flood of memories of the early years of the forum. That is when I looked back and discovered that the 10 year anniversary had gone by last week without anyone knowing. Thanks for the reminder!

9. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Ten years, what a milestone in technology for the taxidermy industry. Ken, I can only imagine what the next ten will bring but with you at the helm it's certain to be smooth sailing. Thanks for a great means of communication and education for all of us wether we're just starting out at the bottom or sharing places at the top in taxidermy.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Congratulations Ken. Just think, if you'd have charged a nickel for membership, you'd be rich now. But you're already rich, so what's a few nickels to you anyway??? LOL THANK YOU for this wonderful place to congregate.

11. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Thanks Ken, and congratulations on 10 years.

D.

12. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Thanks Ken, This site has caused me ( at age 65) to learn a hell of allot I did not think I wanted to know. It is fun and brings some things about the industry into perspective. Congrats . on 1- years.

Monte

13. Thank you once again, Ken and WASCO!

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Thank's Ken, this forum has helped me immeasurably!! Every time I think I finally know something rock solid about this industry, some great artist comes along to remind me I have a long way to go.

I don't think i've ever shared this part of what the net did for me, but if I have, it bares telling again. Two and a half years ago when I decided to close shop for an extended period & seek help for my drinking problem I made a post being honest about exactly what was going on in my life & why. I left it at that. 2 day's later when I was leaving to go to Houston and admit myself into a rehabilitation facility Miranda handed me a brown envelope and told me to open it when I got there. What it was, is she had printed out all the responses from Taxidermy.net members wishing me the best and writing of some of their own experiences. Every one of them gave me strength, hope & inspiration. I opened that brown envelope many a night when I felt like leaving there and giving up during those 6 months.

I did not have medical insurance so the rehab I went to was not posh to say the least, as a matter of fact it was an old run down apartment complex that still had circa 1960 indoor out door carpet in the rooms with mildew on the walls. We worked on the side of the roads in Houston from 7 A.M. till 6 P.M. every day to pay for what few hours we had left to take clinical classes. It was classified as a (Therapeutic community-GOOGLE it ;) ) so it was tough 24/7.

Those kind word's from my fellow dermist's made a hell of an impact on me! I love this industry knew if I straightened my life out I could be an integral part of it & would be wholly accepted if I did what I set out to do. This site and the kind encouraging words from it's members kept me a many of night from packing up my bags and leaving. To state fact, the Taxidermy.net is a major reason I am sober till this day, with out those pages of encouragement, I would not have stayed.

I guess that's one reason when new people come on here and and degrade regular "family" members I take it VERY personally....I have good reason to.

Thank you so much Ken!! I know there are members of the Taxidermy Industry that loathe this web site & have even made it there goal to state it publicly at various Taxidermy related functions. I they could only see the light that they encourage so many others to see then maybe one day they could realize the positive that is brought upon this industry through this site. Many of us on this site fight like cats & dogs, but we'll also be the first to stand in unison if one of our own are attacked....just like a family ;)

I actually like everybody on this site with the exception of Buck......how could you like a crook ;D ;D LMAO!!

15. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

well put michael, and Ken, congrats on ten years, Russ

16. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Wow, now I know I am getting old. Congrats Ken and thanks to you and WASCO for starting taxidermy.net. It has come a long ways. I do miss the chats with Yox on the microphone once in a while though! LOL Thanks again Ken and to think you always have worked so hard just for us to have a place to come and blow off steam and stir a few pots!
    Thanks, Dan Hudzik

17. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Thank you Ken!! I wish I would have been on this site 10 years ago as well as involved with taxidermy.
    Michael you are awesome! I also wish I could have been there to encourage you. You are an assett to this site. You're personality and knowledge makes this page that much more interesting. I hope some day I can meet you in person.
    I am just a 31 year old ND guy with quite a bit of knowledge, thanks to this site, and not much experience. I have learned a lot on here and made many friends, even though not meeting anyone just yet. I keep up hope with what little free time and finances I have to someday have my own small taxi business and with this web page, it keeps my hopes up and keeps me kicking to succeed in my goal.
    Again thank you Ken and everyone that has helped make this page a success. 10+ more years!! 8) :)

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

These are amazing times for taxidermists. I could almost slap people for their ignorance when they they call taxidermy a "dying art". It is one of the oldest art forms, and like the "oldest profession", it will go underground before it goes away. Taxidermy.net is no less a revolution than the advent of 2 part foam for our industry. This is an association with over 14000 members that meet every day to share, fight, argue,agree, disagree, and even grieve together. This forum has made us realize how alike we are when we`ve always been made to feel so different. Bravo, Ken Edwards, you are an important part of taxidermy history! 8)

19. DITTO to everyone! you've all said it so well there's not much left to say except, I love the site and the people on it. We ARE like one big family, we share our hardships and praises, ask for advise, or just come to vent. And someone is always there for us.

And GB I had the pleasure of meeting Micheal and Miranda last year at NTA, and this past year at PA I got to KNOW them. They are wonderful people and I hope will be lifelong friends. CONGRATS Micheal on your sobriety and CONGRATS Taxi-net for 10yrs. Thanks Ken & WASCO!! ;D don't know what we'd do without ya! ;D

20. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I have to blame these Forums for my internet addictions. One of the first sites I ever visited. To this day I come here at LEAST once a day if not more.

Good Job Ken.