1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Something I wish everybody would watch.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by jeffwhitehead, Aug 20, 2008.

1. jeffwhitehead

jeffwhitehead New Member

I am a full time fireman and do taxidermy on the side. I hear it all of the time..."Man all ya'lll do is sit around and watch tv...etc. etc." This video captures the essence of what we do...especially when you realize this could be any firefighter at any given moment. Even if we are just watching tv.,...we could be here in 5 min. I ask you to take a few minutes...watch the entire video (part 1 and 2)...and thank your local firefighters for putting their life in jeopardy to save YOUR life and property. I know this is not a firefighting website but like I said, I am also a taxidermist and I feel this will open alot of people's eyes. Thanks - Jeff (the fast "clicking" sound you hear while he is talking is the low air alarm on his SCBA, letting him know that he is almost out of air)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpJjl_R-98M

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Jeff I don't need to watch to understand. Hubby and I are volunteer firefighters in our community and even tho it doesn't happen often, it does happen.

3. Jeff that was an awesome video that everyone should see. All who sacrifice and take that chance everyday for others I think should have a national day of recognition to thank them. To think 3 deaths and almost a 4th was caused by a disgruntled employee. I would hope they'll charge her with 3 counts of murder on top of the arson.

I live in a very rural area and our fire depts. (2 with-in 5 mi. of me in either direction) are soley volunteer. My husband was one for years and we support them in any way we can.

Actually this fawn I mounted for NTA in Louisville last year I donated to them so they could sell it on e-bay to raise money.

4. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I have friends that are firemen and that is all they do is watch TV, etc, etc until the alarm goes off! Then they are risking their lives to protect others. They certainly have my utmost respect. :)

5. Very good footage I downloaded it for a training class I am working on "Calling a Mayday" I am a Battalion Chief and work shift I am required to train the guys on shift and my crews don't just watch T.V they train and work out clean and do PR events Prue plans and so on. And after down time they eat and watch T.V. till someone does something stupid and tries to get one of them killed. Thanks for the post jeff keep it real and safe be sure you go home.

6. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

When I was a firefighter.. They told us that heart attack was a risk with firefighters... because of how your all relaxed kicking back maybe dozing off... then WHAM codes go out and your heart instantly is doing 90mph.... Then of course add in all the toxic crap you end up breathing and such..

I dont do it anymore.. But I must admit I miss it..

I cant understand why anyone would say that they dont do anything all day cept watch tv... Not counting the care of the engines and equipment, you are still ready at a moments notice to risk your life.. Youll roll up on scene and people will be standing all around, waiting for the fire fighter.. Far as Im concerned fire fighters are like the White Knights riding up on their shiny steeds to save the day.. They risk it all to save a stranger.. If that isnt a hero I dont know what is..

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Only morons would say that to you. Don't sweat them.

8. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

My hunting buddy is a full-time fireman. He tells me some stories. Keep up the hard work!!!

9. Well I too do not need to watch a video as I have a friend and fellow taxidermist who is a fireman in the town I was raised in and the guy I am training is a fireman at this time, plus have several others who are firemen also, one is a training chief and another is a station captain and they have my utmost respect.

10. ChipD.

ChipD. New Member

Jeff, I too was a volunteer firefighter for approximately 10 years. The Chief used to call me and four other guys his fire eating entry guys. I look back on the number of close calls we have had with backdrafts and flashovers and I thank GOD for his protection. I hate it when people say that all firefighters do is lay around and eat. Or drive fast and run red lights. You and all other FIREFIGHTERS have my prayers and respect.

11. jeffwhitehead

jeffwhitehead New Member

Yeah I can't remember the last time we just sat around and did nothing (except on Sat and Sun). Your dead on fireboy, washing and checking trucks and equip., mowing, weeding beds, cleaning station, training, working out, show and tells for kids, classes at academy....the duties are endless. It's just aggravating that the majority of the publics' perception is that we do nothing.

And yes, heart attacks are the number one killer of firefighters. I don't think due to sudden adrenaline...but more so from getting older, more laid back, and not staying the best shape possible. Then on scene or right after a good fire.. stress, over exertion, super heated temps, etc., all take its toll and your heart can't keep up. Alot of firefighters that die of a heart attack are found dead in their bed at the station the next morning at shift change. And their usually older and not in the greatest shape.

Thanks for your responses and remember to check batteries in your smoke detectors before you go to bed tonight! ;D ;D

12. PWS

PWS Active Member

:p

13. cool video. I have been a fireman for the past 24 years and would not trade a single moment. From the adrenaline rush of an alarm to the brotherhood camaraderie it just doesn't get any better. You have a second family for sure. You watch each others kids grow up, watch marriages come and go, and then get to watch the grandkids come to the fire hall and learn about fire safety. I had a German Shepard that I taught to do the stop drop and roll...big hit at the schools. You can watch a hundred videos but until you feel the hot breath of fire and have a flashover blow over your head you just don't know how it feels.

14. There was a fire at a motorcycle repair shop up the street from my shop several years ago. The towns VFD answered the call. Two of the guys were working the front of the building while others were working other areas. Suddenly, there was an explosion from flamable licquids stored inside. The front door blew and the blast threw these two guys 15 feet across the street. After being checked by EMS guys on scene they went back to fighting the blaze. Flames blew through the roof 40 feet in the air. The crew had this under control with no damage to adjacent structures in 23 minutes from the time they were on scene.

So if fire fighters are willing to do this and many times much worse...... I don't care how much the sit and watch TV or whatever... When the call comes and they do their jobs it should make you proud you have these types of individuals in your communities, towns and city.

And PWS .... what exactly is the intent of your post. I don't know how to quite take that cartoon.

15. Missouri Creek Studio

Missouri Creek Studio Black buck Walnut pedestal

Jeff you have my respect. I served for 10 years on our local rural volunteer Fire and Rescue. Fought brush fires until dark in BFE and returned again to a call at 2 a.m. Had live ammo cooking off while inside a residential fire, pulled fellow members away from a collapsing wall and the vehicle rescue/extracation and recovery. You guys perhaps as much as law enforcement put your lives on the line every day. Salute

16. PWS

PWS Active Member

I don't have the education to adequately discuss the psychology of people that chase an adrenaline rush or have an above average "neediness" to help people.

And while firemen can at times have a dangerous job, they do not have THE most dangerous job. Not even top ten: http://www.forbes.com/leadership/2008/08/25/dangerous-jobs-fishing-lead-careers-cx_mk_0825danger.html (and the police barely cracked the list).

While I have the utmost respect for what they do, I don't ignore the fact that THEY CHOSE to go into the profession... They chose the job because of: personal satisfaction, narcissism, or money. NOTHING about being a fireman is a secret.... To me, a fireman is just ANOTHER PERSON that lives in the community....

17. jeffwhitehead

jeffwhitehead New Member

WOW... :eek:

18. i remember that fire it was on for hours ..

19. jeffwhitehead

jeffwhitehead New Member

WOW... was referring to PWS...not the pic. Haha

20. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

Really I'll have to let my brother in law know he wanted to volunteer to save lives like his was as a child. I'll have to let him that an admitted uneducated about psychology person said they know why he joined and it wasn't for the reasons he said.
    They CHOOSE TO is the reason we treat it special. They put their lives on the line Many with NO PAY. You little 'cartoon' is so full of logic holes its funny. Crab fishermen sure its more dangerous when did crab fishermen put their lives on the line to save others besides one of their own from drowning perhaps? Do they do it daily? How many would do it with no pay? Who said anything was a secret?

funny ass way of showing it ::) :mad: whatever. Really wished I had missed this post...