1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how is business

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by wlof, Dec 12, 2006.

1. wlof

wlof New Member

business is slow here. can someone help just started last year.I've put flayer up gave out cards even show my mounts to a to of people. what did do wrong?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Gray wolf, you answered you own question there. You've only "just started last year". Hunters tend to trust their trophies to people who've been around for awhile. You can't be "around for awhile" if you don't make yourself push through this business curve we've all endured. The best advice I can give you is to take the mounts that you have, and do them to the very best of your ability. When the hunters pick them up, they'll be your advertising and they'll pay much more dividends than anything you'll spend money on. You make clients one at a time and you get them from other clients hawking your talents. Hang in there. If you're persistent, don't lower prices below the guys around you just to draw in the cheap bastards, in a few years you'll be on here asking us how to keep from getting overloaded with work. Good luck.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Spot on George, gray wolf, every year somebody is harvesting their "first" animal. You will get these as customers, and IF you do good work, IF you get help and improve your craft, IF you are not slow at getting the work back to them, IF they like your work, they will be back. Maybe not as fast as you want them too, but they will tell friends if they like you , and if you did a good job for them in the past. The only way to get some of the "if's" behind you is to take lessons constantly where you can, join your States Competition to see if you are on the right track. Getting a pro to validate that you do good work will put the if's on the customer, and not you. Take this "slow" time to improve the quality, and soak in some lessons, the customers will come, you have to be ready for them and get the quality up fast. Then you will not be wondering what the problem is.

4. I'm at my limit, I'm not accepting anything else. I'll be referring to other artist in my area where are you from.

5. Here's a link: http://www.sba.gov/ Write a business plan!! Running a taxidermy business is not all about mounting deer and swapping hunting stories. If need additional help go here: http://www.score.org/ Look to the left of the page where it says "Find SCORE Now" Type in your zip code and find a local counselor to help you out.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Careful 4000fps. Archie Phillips once said that if you're a taxidermist, you can be dead for 8 years and there'll still be people knocking on the door looking for you. You'd better either tell the new home owner or don't leave a forwarding address.

7. wlof

wlof New Member

I'm in Vernon, Alabama 35592 they can reach me at(205)695-6929 thanks

8. Bojack

Bojack "PR" Moro's Nocturnal Timber Ghost

I've always said that the best advertisement is your customers mount on his wall. That and word of mouth. I've been at it for 13 years now (part time) and I get customers every year that I have never met. I got a deer head this year, a man in Alabama killed the deer in Texas and brought it to me in South Arkansas. I had never met this man before. He said he saw a mule deer I mounted for another man that lives in Alabama. I just hope he understands I dont do deliveries.