1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

zebra hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by steve leech, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Have 2 very old zebra hides, that are coming apart and have tears. cust wants felt backing, I was wondering what kind of glue to use other than hot glue, would take alot of hot glue. sewing is out, because hide needs to be attached to felt in many places

2. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

use sp[ray contact cement then put felt on it.

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Another option, but more costly, is to apply "Tear Mender" glue to the flesh side. It's a latex-like glue that dries flexible and should adhere to the felt you plan to use on it. Ace Hardware sells it.

4. BA

BA New Member

Hey Steve,
    I would use 3M super 77 adhesive spray. Spray both the hide and the felt and let it tack up for a couple of minutes, then press the felt down on the hide. Just start at one end so you can press your felt on with no wrinkles or folds. It's easier if your felt is bigger than the hide, then you can trim the edges off after you're done. I've used this method on old rugs and hides with great results.
    Brian

5. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

3m is contact cement , but more expensive, follow instructions , spray it on put the felt on it