1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Critique my second fish, please.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Beavis, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Beavis

Beavis Member

This is my second attempt at anything remotely tied to taxidermy. I molded and cast this nine inch hybrid bluegill I caught this spring. I'm also about to finish up a fourteen inch crappie. I know its far from perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it. I feel like my painting, eye setting and seam work improves a little with each project. Feel free to comment on what you see as areas of improvement, as I have an actual paying customers fish thawing. I'll post the crappie pics soon. I wish I had more time to devote to this hobby, as this molding/casting is, as others have said, quite addicting. Thanks.
    Donny

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Your second attempt? Looks better than all of my attempts, LOL. I'm sure someone with a lot more fish knoweldge than me will stop by and help you, but it looks really good to me.

3. thatguyonline

thatguyonline winnie the pooh

WI
    It look very realistic. We have tons of bluegill at the family cabin, and I see them all the time when I am snorkeling.

4. Jesse Carr

Jesse Carr Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

i would post this in the fish section also

5. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Why do the fish have to snorkel? Why don't they just breathe thru there gills?

Todd B

6. Drewtherebel

Drewtherebel New Member

Really well done!!!

7. jerrystaxidermyhunter

jerrystaxidermyhunter get stuffed at jerrys

i like it i think it looks very good

8. Looks great, cant wait to see your fish when you get better..

9. wow, hope my first cast comes out that good!

10. looks great, but I think the front of your eye is pointing down a little lower than it should be

11. WOWWW!!! Can't wait to see the Crappie you do, NICE WORK ;)

12. ShaunO31

ShaunO31 New Member

Awesome job on the Blue Gill Donny!! Hope my first turns out half as good as your second. I think the fish you will be doing for the customer will turn out just fine also. Great Job!!

Shaun O

13. fishmedic

fishmedic R.I.P. Alli !

Super job!!! ;)

14. TomL

TomL New Member

I agree with taxidermydude, it looks like the front "point" of the pupil is angled down too far. Otherwise, beautiful fish. I hope my first casting looks even half as good as yours.

15. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Hats off to you!!! Great, great job!!! Can't believe its your 2nd fish.

One thing I will say, your eye is about 2sizes too big. And it is positioned incorrectly. BUT MAN ARE YOU ON YOUR WAY!!!!

KEEP IT UP, and look foreward to your stuff.

Post it in the fish section by all means. We would love to see your work progress!!!!!!

Jimmy

16. deadwood

deadwood New Member

Second fish......AWESOME!!!!!!!

17. Teto

Teto New Member

Very nice work. Base looks great also. Keep up the good work.

As far as your painting and eye work getting better with each fish that is very true. With everyone you do you will improve. There is always a lesson to be learned with each mount and that is where you get better. Learning from your mistakes and improving on them.

18. Beavis

Beavis Member

Thanks

Thanks for all the kind words. The eye position is a fail in the fact that I actually wanted the fish almost completely vertical, it didn't work out that way. Alluding to your point Jimmy, I've since come to realize I need to measure the iris of the eye, and not the socket. Sadly, however, I may have made the same mistake on the crappie, (it may come off okay as crappie have huge eyes). Hopefully. that lesson is learned. Thanks again all.
    Donny

19. remi609

remi609 Member

Great Job! First fish holy s$%^!!!

20. mitchson1

mitchson1 New Member

dont forget to post the crappie. cant wait to see it. great job.