1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HOW LONG IS LUTAN-F GOOD FOR

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by B KENNEDY, Dec 12, 2006.

1. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    I know that I am supposed to mix it per the pounds of cape I am tanning. But it says nothing about how long it will last. (Number of days or how many hides I can pass through it). I prefer to do all of my own tanning and I have about 40 deer capes and rugs to do so I don’t want to be mixing up and disposing of lutan-f if I can continue to use it.

Thank you for any and all help

2. Tans are a one shot deal ! mix everything up, run your skins, if done correctly the tan should be exhausted and non reusable.

3. B KENNEDY

OHIO
    thank you fishslayer. That is the answer I needed but not the one I wanted to heir. Do you know of the proper disposal of Lutan-F? Non of the supply company's can seem to answer that for me.

4. Aluminum Chloride (Lutan F) is low to moderately hazardous. The MSDS doesn't list any special instructions for it's disposal. Mine goes down the drain.

5. B KENNEDY

OHIO
    I can not poor it down the drain at my shop because of the septic. I believe that the salt is bad news in there.

6. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

The above answer is correct, the Lutan will be used up during each tan. You can however reuse the salt and water it was in. I found this out talking to Mark Daniels. I keep a drum in the shop, at room temperature, with about 15 gallons of water and the appropriate amount of salt and bactericide. Being of the analytical type, I measured the salinity (mid 40's) prior to use and add a little salt as needed after tanning to bring it back to spec for the next batch. I schedule out my tanning so I can get a lot of "clean" stuff done first and then a few greasy types last and then "DISPOSE OF PROPERLY FOLLOWING MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS AND IN ACCORDANCE WITH ALL LOCAL, STATE, FEDERAL AND PROVINCIAL LAWS". I use it for at least 2 or 3 dozen deer capes, prior to change. I like to run three deer capes at a time, 18 pounds of hide, and 14 and a whatever gallons of water.

I don't know if the salt will hurt your septic, but any bactericide in any of tanning solutions will.

7. Steve Anders

Steve Anders Guest

Jimmy R.,
    What a great idea. I've been wearing myself out packing buckets of Lutan-F solution out of my basement to pour on my gravel drive-way. I mostly tan deer capes. It would be great if all I had to do was check the salinity and add more Lutan each time. Thanks for the great tip.

Does anyone else out there disagree with any of this?....