1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Illinois Taxidermist Association Convention 2009

Discussion in 'Convention Information' started by Ken Edwards, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Re: Illinois Show!!

Eh, too cold for that chit Ross, I'll drive ya! LOL

2. Re: Illinois Show!!

Sounds like a plan. We'll have to pre-flight before the banquet. The Indiana show put a big hole in my wallet. Especially when the cocktails were around 5 bucks a piece. :mad:

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

That's why I quit drinkin a long time ago who the heck can afford it? lol

4. tnarg

tnarg Member

Illinois Taxi Convention

Do I have to be a member of the ITA inorder to attend the convention or is it open to the public?

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Re: Illinois Taxi Convention

For a nominal fee you can go into the competition room and view the mounts. I think it's $3.00. To go into the supply room and attend the seminars and banquet you must be a member, or a member in good standing with another state assoc. but even still you would have to pay the convention fees, you just wouldn't have to pay the membership fees.

6. justin33

justin33 New Member

Ok guys, is it too late to start mounting something for the show????Regardless, I'll be there :)

7. bw

bw New Member

It's never too late!! It just depends on how high you want to score!!!

You can dry a sparrow very quickly with a fan!

8. erik1

erik1 New Member

<-----Sparrow hunting between storms today!!!

9. bw

bw New Member

Hey, the starlings I did a few years back were killed just a couple weeks before the show. Still managed a BOC!!

10. Missouri Creek Studio

Missouri Creek Studio Black buck Walnut pedestal

Naw ..it's not too late. I'm mounting a Bluegill toniite (sun) and A Red Harteebeast shld Mon that needs alterations and maybe a LS Coyote. My base maker won't be back from FL until Tue,so it will be the usual last minute rush. Maybe I can strap them to the top of my SUV and finish drying them on the way to the show.Or to Quote Jim Hunsaker"Never under estimate the results of several box fans"

11. Re: Illinois Show!!

Ohio Taxidermy Supply will be there, you can swing by and pick up a new catalog if you want.
    See all of you there.

12. bw

bw New Member

From what I hear, we are going to have a full supplier area. And word has it, that we might even have to have an overflow area!! That is excellent!! Looking forward to seeing all the suppliers there.

13. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

All of this last minute talk about drying in time makes me feel better- this is my first critter competing year- did art last year to get my foot in the door- and my critters are still not dry, but I'm working on it- maybe even throw a quail together tonight... who knows... right now I'm doing my best not to chicken out anyway...
    my daughter will probably beat everything I've got with her squirrel job anyway;)

14. erik1

erik1 New Member

Don't chicken out!! Bring them all! Bring them thursday night and thats one more drying day!

15. justin33

justin33 New Member

Hey BW, maybe I can bring a quail. One hit the side of my building yesterday in the storm. Just freeze it and put it on a paper plate right. ;D

16. bw

bw New Member

Hey, the actual judging doesn't start until Friday after 10am. If you are lucky it might get judged last, that would buy you several more hours of drying time!! I say, prep the quail....soak him in acetone thoroughly, mount him very quickly (because he will dry out quickly).....blow dry after mounting and positioning....put him in a small room with a dehumidifier. Do finish work in your hotel room at sunrise on Friday and still have time to get registered by 10am. I bet it could be done!!

17. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

How long in the acetone? I've got another quail;)

18. bw

bw New Member

Long enough to drive the moisture out of the skin....short enough not to ruin it!!!!

(I hope no one actually tries this)

19. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Nope- not here- note the winky grin. The storm and water blowing in my shop has taken care of eliminating my bear, but I'm still going to try to pull something out. Judging still scares me- but I've got teenagers so my skin is fairly thick.

20. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Your skin better be thick. They aren't real kind in Illinois! LOL ;D They are tough because the talent is usually very good. Hope to be there myself for at least one day. Later, Dan