1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st Prairie Rattler

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Bullfrog, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog New Member

Helllo,

I got my first prairie rattlersnake today.. I have read about every post in this section trying to figure out what is the best way to go about mounting this thing.
    I have ordered a Movie from Ben, Rittel's Snakeskin Tanning and have been looking at the snake mannikins from Ben, all from WASCO..... I have'nt been able to find any mannikins for a praire rattler...... Is the Western Diamond about the same thing if the measurment's line up... I dont really know for sure if the prairie rattler is the correct name for it but it was caught in Western South Dakota... Can anybody give me some points about this snake.. Also will the snake be good if the shedding season is coming soon, It doesnt show any signs of it loosing the skin yet. Any good pointers about mounting snake's would be awesome, Thanks to all of you that share your knowledge....
    Jeremiah Horst

2. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Measure the snake's length and girth and find a form that fits the closest. Measure your snakes head, length and width because usually the head on the form isn't gonna fit your snake. Start out with a crawling snake if it's your first, it will be easier to mount. ;)

3. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Jeremiah,it is a prairie rattler.Technically,a timber rattler would be a little closer in build,but sometimes the smaller diamondback forms still work.The diamondback form should have a bigger head but that's not always the case.Many of the snake forms aren't that accurate for their species.Get the best form and compare it to your snake.You may have to whittle down the head,neck or tail a little-or not.