1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Colorado Institute of Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Training' started by popajorgio, Dec 13, 2006.

1. popajorgio

popajorgio New Member

Anyone been through the course or heard anything about the school? I live in Northern California, anyone know of any schools closer i.e. oregon?

2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Hey.

I went through the school there. It is an excellent school. They have a very capable staff as well as very friendly people. It is a very comfortable atmosphere. Tell them Jimmy the moose sent you and youll be fine. lol! It was a very great jumpstart into the taxidermy world for me. You shouldnt be dissapointed.

3. popajorgio

popajorgio New Member

great. thanks for the info.how many students are in the classes. i havent been able to locate many past attendees. did you attend the entire course?

4. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Hey.

I took the entire course. There is absolutely no more than 10/class. They prefer about 8 max. It really was a good program. The arkansas river is less than a quarter mile behind the shop. You have nice, nice, scenery, and very good fishing. I had a blast out there. You wont hardly find friendlier people. The entire course is like 9.5 weeks, and it starts with fish for 3, birds 2, gameheads2.5, lifesize 2 or something like that. I really enjoyed it. Call jerry anytime. hes the head instructor and the owner. He'll tell you anything you want to know. I fully recomend it. Hope this helps.

5. popajorgio

popajorgio New Member

great. thanks moose

6. dryrun

dryrun New Member

I went there in 2002 and the took the gameheads and birds course. Jerry & his associates will teach you a lot. Once your on your own and down the road you will learn a lot more. I continue to read articles , watch dvd's, etc. always looking for new ideas and techniques. A lot want I learned I now do different but the school gave me a very good foundation. Also, try doing a few mounts on your own and some homework before you go to any school, that way you will be able to maximize your learning time more efficiently and not waste it learning something you could have figure out on your own. Do some mounts before you go, that way you know your weaknesses so you can ask the right questions and learn more.

7. popajorgio

popajorgio New Member

thanks for the advice. are you still in the industry? and have you heard comparisons of CIT with other institutions?

8. timberliner

timberliner New Member

popajorgio,
    I live in Colorado, but at the time the school was not accredited so the VA wouldn't pay for it. I talked to Jerry, visited the school and was impressed. One of the guys I work with is a graduate from there and he is a respectable taxidermist.
    I ended up going to PIT (Pennsylvania Institute of Taxidermy), it was a good school too but way too far away from home. Just remember, you will be learning the basics...I don't think anyone going to school for 9 weeks is truly a taxidermist. Just my opinion. I really didn't learn anything till I was ON THE JOB. Good luck with your decision!
    Joe