1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize Mammal of the Month #6 (9/08-10/08)

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Doylestudio, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

Good lookin Tahr Henry.

Mike

2. anytihing but a phesent how about a ummmm squirrel... or a fawn

3. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Should be going home today...

4. ,,,,,Are you sure..Iam not sure you live in N.C.,,but I;Ve seen them dead ,,smelt,,them up in the mountains around Ashville..

5. just finished these two 1/2 life size bears

6. :)

7. Mink

Mink New Member

Here's my contribution to the Mammal of the Month: My first coyote! (sorry about the cluttered background. I will post a much better picture when he's finished) I'm hoping to enter it in the '09 Florida taxidermy competition. I know he doesn't look like competition material right now, but hopefully he will when I'm finished with him! This is the biggest lifesize animal I've done so far.

[​IMG]

8. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

WillinghamsTaxidermy,

Great job on the coyote! Good luck at the show and remember, its all about learning and not the competition.

9. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Rich, can you tell me what form you used for that black bear?

I'm getting ready to do my first 1/2 mount bear. I'm kind of stuck in deciding on which form to use. That pose looks a lot like McKenzie's "Original series" charging form. I was thinking about going with that but wasn't sure if it was as anatomically correct as the newer forms. If that is indeed what form it is, let me know .. I like the way that looks.

10. bruce foster studio

bruce foster studio New Member

200 +

11. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

That back looks real long. Looks good but weird to my eye. Maybe cause not used to seeing many Mt. Lions. Looks good though.

12. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Cougars, like many cats -- big and small -- are fairly long bodied mammals. More often than not, mannikins are a little short in this respect. To find a good mannikin that was sculpted over the skeleton, from accurate measurements, is a blessing!

Nice cat mount!

A live cougar ... long back and all!
    [​IMG]

Take care,
    John.

13. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

WOW! I learned something once again. Used to seeing them in trees or sitting. They are beautiful.

14. it is a mckenzie original, not to bad of a form but had to do alot of size altering.

15. bruce foster studio

Thank you John for your post....this cat was pushing 225....I skinned the cat, and a gross amount of measurments were taken from the carcas......it is as it was......a very big cat......the form was severly altered to my measurments......the head was hand sculptured, and the jawset made from scratch......this tom had a full belly of sheep......mounted on an altered Mckensie RM 354.......form size 3 1/2 x 20 1/2 x 35 x 55......actual cat measurments were 4 1/2 x 23 x 40 x 61

16. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Hey Bruce,

Nice face on that big ol' Tom! The ears are set well on the top of the head, nicely toward the center, and very cool expression in those eyes! Well done!

My mentor, Joe Kish, used to say ... an probably still does ... "Make the mannikin fit the skin, and not the other way 'round!" And: "Don't be just another 'skin-fitter'!" Words of wisdom from a true wise man ... or wise guy -- depending on his mood! ;)

Anyway, again ... very nice job! Well done!

Take care,
    John.

17. bruce foster studio

John..thank you for the compliment!.......it's nice to see someone who understands the complexities of felines!

18. bonedogg

bonedogg New Member

like the cat but hate his back legs ::)unless he's urinating?I love the cat from the back hips forward.

19. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

Well, in regards to the mountain lion, sometimes there is a difference in anatomical correctness and aesthetic appeal.... Although the cat is anatomically correct, it does appear too long to the eye...

20. bruce foster studio

with all due respect Mr. Butler.....61" is 61" no matter how you look at it......Dolly Pardon is surely aesthetically pleasing, but would you call her anatomically correct?.....a man 6'7" may be anatomically correct, but not aesthetically pleasing........the hunter chose the form and I altered it to the carcase measurements.......an accurate represintation of the cat he shot......the form was altered to fit the skin......sorry you don't like it