1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

promoting my shop

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tic, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Damn I love these little set to's.....this is better than reality TV for sure.

2. I'm having a blast. Great stress relief going on here.

3. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

lets see some fish guys

4. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

why...George isnt' comparing work to his. Nowhere did he ever say that he was a better fish taxidermist...did he???

5. He never did say he was better. He did say fish taxidermy isn't real taxidermy. To this fish guy, those are fightin words. Put your work where your mouth is. Let's get it on.LOL

6. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Yeeehaw! Just cuaght up to the end of this thread- lots o fun I see. OOOO Just have to add my 2 cents... from my expirience, I went to all the local shows donating every time handed out a lot of cards and brochures did elaborate displays lots of oooos and aaaahhhs! Little or no business from very costly intense efforts!! Some things that seem very logical end up being the opposite when put into motion- it happens.. :-\ Better off to find some high dollar guy and impress him,,, he has many high dollar budies!!! Some ne who wants quality pieces over cheapo prices, then give em just that!! :)

7. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Thats because you just do fish....if you only did European mounts or antler mounts would you be as offended?

8. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

ahemmm....

9. Are you comparing a European and antler mounts to fish taxidermy??

10. RDA , by the way, thanks for the advice.

11. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

No, I'm not. Simply put you only do fish, I only do gameheads, but if George were to go to me and say that I'm not a real taxidermist because I don't do birds I'm not gonna get in tizzy cuz there's alot of this industry i don't partake in. Its a choice, I would love to do fish but the time it takes to paint one doesn't interest me.

Also, the reason he may not consider it taxidermy per se is this, if you buy a fish blank and paint is that "technically" taxidermy? You didn't "taxi" any skin did you?

Now, I'm not saying that isn't taxidermy but its the gist of what George is saying I believe.

12. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

RDA, I agree 100% about the high dollar guys. I was lucky enough to have 2 of them last year. They were so happy I ended up getting over a half dozen other clients, and a lot of big lifesize stuff to mount. Two of them leaves for Africa next week and I will be taking in their entire Safari. The really cool thing about those type of clients is they don't even ask how much the mounts will be. Just how much I need down, and when can they pick them up.

13. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

George does not believe anything , He's just having fun ! He's good at what he does & it has nothing to do with taxidermy lol ! He had me popping pills a month ago ! I new it, but i still got worked up .

14. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

I will say this about him. I met him back in 05 at the WTC. He is one nice fellow in person, and his Wife is one of the sweetest people I ever met!

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You used the same line on Jennifer you dog!!!! :eek: :eek: :D

16. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Well Jen was the hottest one I met! ;)

17. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

JustFish...if that picture of that "thing"you posted is your work then you arent a taxidermist.

18. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Wow. I started reading and skipped towards the end. I just gotta laugh. ;D

George I read you first statement and I personally agree with your stance on advertising. I also agree with you about the real taxidermist thing. I rediscover annually that I am not a real taxidermist after doing a seminar. During the seminar ultimately someone asks about price (it comes up every time-lol). I then explain my pricing amongst the whispers and shaking heads and someone yells out you will never get that in my area.

I once had a fella ask me if I would be interested in molding a state record fish (free). I politely advised them that I do some charity work but they need to demonstrate that they truly are needy. Having a record fish only does not make you needy in my eyes. If I was to provide that free fish I would be advertising that I give away freebies or deals. I get enough harrasment from telemarketers I certainly don't need the cheapskates calling me too.

I think advertising is something each of us has to determine what works best for US. Some of us are happy with mounting 20-30 pieces a year like me, while others want it all. if I was to spend more money I personally would put it into doing a sportshow like the Eastern Sports and outdoor show. I wish everyone Good luck in finding your recipe through trial and error.

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Gary, JUST FISH is just full of himself. He hasn't a clue that we've known each other for years and that you know I hold your work in highest regard. I've seen yours, Rick's, George Dante's and Frank Kotula is someone I consider a dear friend so I know a bit more about fish taxidermy than most. Yet I see you guys as artisans more than taxidermists (Frank's the exception as he's a gut guy as well). Still, for someone who doesn't have the ink dry on his business license and who doesn't have to deal with road kills, bad shots, bad field care, bad skinning jobs trying to tell me what taxidermy is all about is the pinnacle of stupidity. Ron's absolutely correct in his assessment. Any of us who've "been there" know exactly what he's talking about. I see the work you guys do and what Jeff Lumsden is doing out west and I know NONE of my customers would ever come to you because they aren't willing to pay the price nor capable of understanding the difference of what I do versus what you do. Cecil Baird does some very VERY good fish work as well as marketing some of the finest frozen specimen available, but he charges less than I do simply to make ends meet. The economy where he lives has just caved in the market guys like JUST FISH wants to tell everyone is out there. Ain't happening across the board.

BTW JUST FISH, if your work is so spectacular, why don't you post it with your avatar like Gary or Rick??? Or is that your coyote butt there with the miscolored vulva?

20. George,
    I do posts pictures in TWIFP. I just posted a replica small mouth. I agree doing a replica is not taxidermy. Feel free to take a look and come back here and critique. I am always open to critique. The first thing I see is my scale tipping looks a little hot. It does not look that hot in in my shop or outside in the sun.