1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Worst mount ever by a "professional taxidermist" please help!!!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by deerslayer dan, Sep 4, 2008.

1. We have that price beat in this area of Michigan. I went by a big sign in Kalamazoo a couple years ago that read " Turkeys mounted any pose 250.00"

2. mike108

mike108 New Member

PA
    WOW!

3. Beamen123

Beamen123 New Member

If some of you guys that stated it was strictly due to "price" would have read the whole situation, you'd know it wasn't. I didn't know his price until after I met with him, saw some of "his" work, and looked around at 4 or 5 other taxidermists. Now that I look back on it, I highly doubt it was HIS work that I was looking at in his shop. The mounts I saw looked good, mine, not so much. I did NOT go with him because of his price. My buddy who's a state constable recommended him because he did a good job on his deer shoulder mounts.

This is a fall bird that I shot last September. I know nothing about taxidermy and thought a strutting mount could have been done. When I talked to them yesterday, the wife said that Barry told her "I didn't want to do the turkey in the first place". I simply told her, then why the heck didn't you tell me this???? It would have saved a lot of grief for all parties. But anyway, they are making it right and I commend them for that. It just sucks I'm out of a trophy bird because of a mistake like this.

I apologize to everyone for this making such a stink on these forums, even though I didn't even post the story on here in the first place. This makes me want to learn taxidermy so I can do things myself instead of trusting someone else to do it. I may just do that! Thanks again for the support of some of you on here. It's greatly appreciated.

Randy

4. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Welcome to the club ;)

5. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

I have to agree with Jim...I wouldn't get to cocky about threatening to going to small claims court over your bird. A judge is going to side with the taxidermist, because you got about as much leg to stand on as somebody suing a salon for a bad hair cut. Be glad you got your money back and leave it at that. Oh...and a bird shot in September...Sorry, not even the best guys on here are going to be able to do much with that.

6. lookn4awhitetail

lookn4awhitetail "I shoot a Mathews, cause I dont wanna Hoyt them"

THis is why all states need certification programs.

7. Treva

Treva I praise God for the Love of my life Doug

This is got to be a joke.. I can't believe someone mounted this for cash!!! I know in most contracts you are signing at customers risk but this a disgrace. This is very sad and if this is true what other things is this guy mounting thinking it is OK???????????? I feel sad for the taxidermist thinking hes done something good and mad for the customer for his bird being wasted and the loss of money

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

On a September-killed turkey there isn't much worth saving except for the beard, the spurs, the tail and - don't forget! - the meat. You should still be able to salvage most of those parts with no problem, Beaman, so it doesn't need to be a total loss.

9. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

the fall birds look ok in my neck o the woods,, for the most.. :-\

10. Beamen123

Beamen123 New Member

Alright everyone. I received my refund check and the beard in the mail today. Thanks again for all of your support.

Sincerely,

Randy King

11. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Wow, that was fast. Good luck.

12. hunter pepper

hunter pepper New Member

The garbage is calling it's name!

13. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

14. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

I don't mess with turkey much, but even a fall bird shouldn't look that horrible. My first bird was not that bad. Not even close !

15. Man that is horrible. My kids could do a better job than that one. Sorry for your luck on that mount. You should be getting a full refund.

16. remingtonZ71

remingtonZ71 New Member

I feel Sorry for your freind, he should be getting a full refund, thats unexeptable for customer work.

17. iv seen this gobbler on a hunting forum

18. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    The last thing we need is the goverment deciding who is good enough! If this guy was Gov. certified and still did this can we sue the state! Is there any other business that isn't some how public saftey oriented that the gov decides if you are up to par. To me that is like saying you must be cerified to be a sculpter or woodcarver! Leave the Gov. out of our lives and let people learn to choose wisely.

19. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Whew, I thought this was about my dove for a minute.

20. lookn4awhitetail

lookn4awhitetail "I shoot a Mathews, cause I dont wanna Hoyt them"

D Price, I was thinking the same thing...... I'll show you my dove if you show yours first.......LMAO