1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pink Coyote?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by JEJ, Sep 4, 2008.

1. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    I am getting ready to start my first lifesize (done many deer heads) and it is a coyote. When i got it back from the tannery, all the areas that are supposed to be white (off white actually) like the belly and legs have a distinct pink hue to them. it is wet tanned. Any thoughts on how to bring this back to the natural color?

2. i would call the tannery and question them on this one . sounds like they didnt get it all tanned as the skin might have folded and the tan didnt get to the streaks . im thinking that its streaked isnt it? about 1/4 wide and long areas? mostly in areas that would fold easy close to the edges on the back and rear leg areas? mark c

3. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

Is it slipping any were ? Did you try washing a small spot ?

4. Mink

Mink New Member

Is it the fur thats pink on your coyote, or the inside of the skin? I have a coyote to do too, and the fur that should be white on it (the chin and belly) has a pinkish color to it. I think its just blood stained. I tanned the hide myself but the pink color didn't come out. I washed the hide with dish washing detergent and cold water, which helped a little bit but it still isn't completely white. I'm not entirely sure how to clean it really well without damaging the fur or causing slippage. This is going to be a competition mount so it can't have any blood staining whatsoever. Any ideas?

5. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    It is on the fur. No i have not tried washing yet, not sure what to try. When i got it i threw it in the freezer since i have had some deer to do first. Now coming down to the time to think about mounting the coyote and have to figure out how to fix this. It is still in freezer now. No slipping that i noticed. I skinned this myself and there was no blood staining when it left here to go to the tannery. No streaks either per say. Thanks.

6. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA
    Hmmm some yotes have a pinkish stain on the inside legs and belly, that looks like the saliva or tear stains you would see on a white dog. It might not have been as noticeable before the hide was washed if there was any dirt/mud on it. Post a picture if you can and we'd have a better idea what it could be. You can bleach it out with a little help from miss clairol, but it may not be nearly as noticeable when the fur is dry.

7. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Post a pic :) I want to see a pink coyote LOL>

Also what does it look like when the fur is dry? Does it loose the pink hue or look more like natural staining?

8. Here is my tought on this... you had beter take real care of what you do with this beast.. As of late ive had 3 of them slip and always in and around the dorsel cut and back hind legs. NOT that im a sure fired pro but after 3 of them im sick of the yotes. The problem was never answer by Mc Kennzie or anyone else ive talked to . Soon the 4th yote i tanned and did evry thing that i normally do BUT i didnt tumble and i didnt wash . I did use great care in mounting and every thing turnned out fine. Your yote will probly slip in the rear. so if you use great care you can get it mounted. Is the pink showing up neer the insision line? and can you pull some fur around that area , if so im sure its a bacteria and tan problem. Ive tanned everything from black bears to foxes the same way . thats why i was so dog gone crazy when this started wish you luck mark c

9. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Rebecca is right about the pink belly.Keep in mind that white skins that are wet,don't look nearly as white as they will when they dry.When it dries,it will be a shade or two lighter and what you see now,may not show at all.You are probably seeing the natural pnkness of the belly,accentuated by being wet.I wouldn't panic on this one.

10. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Cannot post a pic right now as it is frozen. as for what it looks like dry i have no idea as i had it wet tanned. it is dorsal cut and no pink there, only on the "white" areas, belly and legs. If i mount it up and it still looks pink after dry, can i whiten it then? Thanks all!

11. LTravis

LTravis New Member

not unusual for those areas to have a pinkish tint..especially males from pssing all over themselves...it won`t wash out..

12. buckhog

buckhog New Member

NEPA
    yep the one im holding had a lot of pink couldnt see it when hair was dry and groomed.

13. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Guess i'll mount it up and see how it looks, maybe panicking for no reason. Hope so!! Thanks all.