1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by J Best, Sep 5, 2008.

1. J Best

J Best Member

2. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Re: Skinning for lifesize (Bear and Deer)

Skinning is a matter of personal preference. Some like to case skin, some like dorsal, some like ventral, etc. I tend to skin the animal based on the pose the customer wants. For example, if a bear is to be mounted standing up on its hind legs, I certainly don't want it cut down the belly (ventral incision). Not that you can't do a good job with a ventral incision in that case, but it makes more work for you trying to make sure the stitches don't show.

3. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

It's more times than not that you won't have an option on how it's skinned. Many times the animal is already skinned out by the time it gets to and it's up to you to put the pieces back together.
    I prefer ventral on large life size. Makes test fitting easier when lot's of alterations are involved.

4. B2L

B2L New Member

James- but if its a mount of him on all 4 legs you really dont see the belly... just have to be carefull with the inside of the legs... and make sure you dont slice to far up his chest...
    Eric