1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help with tanning problem

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Fur Real, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Fur Real

Fur Real New Member

I recently lost 2 deer hides during the pickle. I switched to Saf-tee acid and so far have pickled and tanned 2 racoons, 1 red fox and 1 deer cape without any problems. The 2 deer hides did not make it, they both slipped during the pickle. I start fresh every time. I do not reuse my pickle. I had a really hard time keeping the PH stable during the pickle on the 2 hides. I followed the instructions to a T. I can't figure out how the other hides turned out fine and not these two. Does the pickle have to be at a certain temperature? I do this in my mud room in the basement. It is usually 50-60 in there depending on the weather outside. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who reply.

2. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

Ok,

You had two dead give aways in this post.

1. You had a few good one's... and two bad ones.
    2. The one's you lost, you had a hard time maintaining the pH.

What makes the pickle any different on the two you lost, than the one's you didn't loose? Nothing. You had a hard time maintain the pH? The only thing that can mess with your pH is caustics. See the link below.

http://www.hidetanning.net/Microscope.html

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If your using any taxidermy industry pickle there should never be a problem with it. All the pickle out here today work well. (even though I'm a Saftee acid guy) If you look at the two hides you had and slipped it was not the pickle.
    Having a hard time controlling the Ph in a pickle is due to some other factor than the pickle, which is your hide. There had to be some kind of (a) chemical on the hide that was not washed off before you placed it in the pickle or (b) in some kind of vat or container that causes havoc with a pickle.
    As for your slippage that is usually caused by nothing else but a poor hide with poor care before you got it or it was handled poorly during the whole process. It's always a learning process to get hides not slip and learning about tanning and what you may or may like like.
    It's not like Rocket science here ("quote from Mr. Roof") but it sure seams to be when all goes wrong. There are many things we can control during the process when we get the hide in. I never freeze a hide even if it's frozen when it comes in. That piece becomes top priority and I already begin to thaw out the hide. I will even use stop rot on it if I think there is a question on it. From there it's skinned fleshed, salted and then dried till I'm ready to work on it. Since I've been following these simple steps (not rocket science) I've never had a hide slip.
    Now I have seen hides slip due to poor care when a cape comes in because of poor care prior to them coming to me. Usually you can tell just be smell and a color of the hide and even this is no guarantee to stop slippage. If you follow all the right steps your problems should stop. If you still are having them then go back and look at your steps and how well was the hide cared for before you got it.

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

If you handle all capes with the priority that Frank does, You should virtually never lose a cape. I have even had a couple capes that were slipping ( small areas in the armpit area ) That I saved & mounted just by giving them the priority they deserved, Totally salt drying them & adding preservit to the saftee acid as per directions. It really aint rocket science.