1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taking advantage of people.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by John C, Sep 7, 2008.

1. OK first understand I am not blaming the kid in this situation it is the parents fault.

I mounted a elk shoulder mount for a boy in a wheel chair.. Yesterday I delivered the mount and even made sure the mount was properly hanged on the wall.

Then the kid starts telling us about all the hunts he has been on, Buckmasters even on several TV shows and ask us to see the mount in his room. I saw the look on the parents face when this was taking place.
    Well his room looked like a damn great showroom some of the largest antlers you will see and yes they are antlers and some poor mounts all the way up to really nice mounts.

Its not the kids fault he is pretty much confined to a wheel chair.

Then as we start to leave the parents did not want to sign a release for photos and I explained that as they would certainly recall when I told them I would do the mount through "Hunt of a Lifetime" part of the deal is the story and picture of the boy and his mount would be used etc. They finally signed.

Then they hit me up to do some mounts for their "NON PROFIT" Org, that is taking disabled people on hunts.

I did not say anything just I did not think I would have the time.

About an hour later I was looking at their "CHRISTIAN ORG." brochure and business card and I finally mentioned to my wife I thought there people are nothing but users, esp since when the kid gets a hunt so does his daddy!!! As she and I talked bout this, we both had the same feelings and wondered if these great CHRISTIAN FOLKS are just one family abusing the systems or are their others?

There certainly are other terminal children who would like to go on hunts, I am sure there are. But these people are abusing the system in my book.

What other poor kids missed out on hunts because of these Christians who are gluttens i my book.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Sounds like they been milking hunt services and taxidermist for a while.

3. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

X2, something wrong there.

4. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

x3

5. John,

Sounds like this family is really trying to take advantage of outfitters and taxidermists. I have mounted a few free ones for disabled kids. Gave me a good feeling. But your experience sounds a lot different than mine.

6. Thgat seems to be the case from time to time one here as well...someone will procliam to be doing wholesale work to expand the word on their business, get a bunch of stuff from us guys and then not deliver

7. mike g

mike g Active Member

I absolutely love these organizations that take these disabled or terminally ill kids hunting or fishing. However is really bothers me when the father is an avid outdoors man and gets to participate in the hunt by harvesting his own animal.
    I was asked one time by the make a wish foundation to mount a bear about 8 years ago. The boy was from a single parent home and the mother had no idea what hunting was about or how to even do it. The boy's illness was terminal and he want to go hunting really bad. He didn't get a chance to go, god called him home before the hunt was to take place. He had no father for what ever reason let along one thats was an avid hunter. These hunts should be all about the kids and the dad should be an observer only.

8. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

You got that right.

9. SteveP

SteveP New Member

What kind of dad would even want to tread on his dying kid's hunt. I get a much bigger trip out of my kids being successful in a hunt than if I shot something, and they're healthy (knock on wood and a prayer of thanks). On a trip like that, parents should me along as moral and physical support ONLY!

John, I'm sorry your efforts didn't go to a kid that hasn't yet gone on their once-in-lifetime hunt. I can't believe they've run out of terminally ill and handicapped children that want to hunt. Maybe these organizations have promoted these hunts to outfitters and taxidermists, but failed to get the word out to the kids. I sincerely hope yours was an isolated experience.

10. ChipD.

ChipD. New Member

I had a similar incident. I had a kid in a wheelchair that I told I would mount what ever he shot free. He and his dad brought in a nice 8 point whitetail. I mounted it (free like I promised). In about 4 days he brings in another (6 pt) and wanted me to do it free, I told him and his dad I would do it for cost. So I did. When they come to pick the 6pt up they bring another nice 6 pt and asked me to mount it free or at cost because the kid had killed it too.
    I told them I couldn't and the dad got furious. There was a friend of mine in the shop at the time and he spilled the beans. He told me right in front of the dad that the dad was trying to get the guys in his hunting club deer mounted for cost and he would deliver them back to the guys and get the full
    price for the mount and stick it in his pocket. Well I spread the word to all the guys I knew. The sorry SOB had to move to a different county because everywhere he went people (men and women) were giving him hell about it. I hate it for the kid, being a pawn in his dad's scheme but it had to stop somewhere.

11. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

I did a hunt for a handycaped girl as part of my booking agent job. We sent her to South Africa. Neither her or any of her family had been on an airplane! Also neither had been outside of their home state! This was a real experience for me, her, her family and the booking agency. It was Great!

But if someone took advantage of this kind of unfortunate situation I would concider it a SERIOUS ethical violation The kind of people that I would never want to be around. To bad the kid gets used like this

12. f.Schmidt

f.Schmidt New Member

This is just like anything else, a few people can ruin a good thing for everyone. Please don't let this situation turn you off to helping these kids. I volunteer for Hunt of a lifetime. I am the one that called John. I don't blame John for feeling used. In the Hunt of a Lifetime youth referral application we ask; Have you ever participated in any other program such as this. We don't follow through and contact other programs. I guess we expect the parents to be honest.
    As far as getting the word out. Get on board. Talk to your doctor, tell your friends, keep your ears open. Hunt of a Lifetime and other organizations are providing a fantastic gift for many young people. We are trying to do the best we can. Remember, this is for the kids.

13. I certainly don't mind helping the kids. Matter of fact even a few adults. In the near future I am doing my best to help a local org improve stream access and habitat for Dry Run Creek strickly for kids under 16 and chair bound adults to trout fish. Artificial sinble barbless hook all catch and release and you would not believe some of the fish I have seen there!! Huge rainbows, Browns and Cutthroat trout.

Alond with that many people on this forum know I am a Disabled Veteran, severe back problems compression fracture of the total Thorasic region, other injuries from the Army, cyst on my right lung and something like Chrones, kidney stones and thyroid problems even had a very minor hear attack a few years back, nerve damage that controls heart rate, and intestinal tract functions and this spider bite and more.

Thats life we each get our own burdins to bear, crosses to carry God choose us for some reason to carry these burdins. Each has theirs. I think God has spared my life on several occasions, God has not put me in a wheel chair. I am mobile had a sound mind (some here don't think so) seen that I am blessed in many ways and have the one true love of my life with me most of the summer days and 99% of the nights. I found the greatest woman in the world.

I see some young people on here and in town that have handled adverse conditions extremly well and I do look up to them for their courage. While others have ran into small problems and think its the end of the world.

Yes I certainly will do other mounts for Hunt of a Lifetime, may not always get them back in 60 days but I will try because these kids special and may not have another opertunity.

We should all remember that our life is not ours, it is God's and the next second, minute, hour, day, weeks months or years are not promised its a hope.

One of the greatest minds in the world ever cannot walk, talk. He inspires me as do the kids.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.foxnews.com/images/279540/0_61_042607_hawken.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,268644,00.html&h=240&w=320&sz=13&hl=en&start=1&usg=__i1xx1Ka8_m-mHL5_hkAMSbzL0nM=&tbnid=f8icsQubD-3mDM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3DPhysisit%2Bsteven%2Bhawken%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

But I get up each morning and count my blessings, lknowing I lived through some more serious armed conflicts and go on, thinking what a great day it is