1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Okay, guys here he is my first snake.

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by jeremy, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

I finally have mounted one after years of toying with the idea and lurking on the reptile site. He is a 29" Northern Pacific that I carved a form for.

Here is the form after alterations with taking the advice of Jim B and Tom.
    [​IMG]

And here he is, he is fresh and I still have some small detail work on the pits, eyes and skin. He will go into a habitat that will match his curvature so don't ding me hard on the lack of flat underside in regards to the countertop. BYTW the wife was at work when I took the pics so don't tell her the snake was on the counter ;D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not extremely happy with the eye color but I could not find a 4mm eye that was darker, this eye was a western diamond back. any body know where I may find 4mm eyes for snakes that may be a bit darker??? Our little Nps will not except 5 mm.
    Ill have a Gopher snake posted soon, and Ive already cast a small 24" Np and have him tanned and ready so that will be coming soon also.
    So let me have guys, I have thick skin and I want to learn from your critiques. Thanks and have a good one.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Beautiful snake...you done good!

3. ChipD.

ChipD. New Member

Great job jeremy

4. Jeremy, great job!! You look like you've been mounting them for a long timke!! very professional!!

5. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Sweet looking snake Jeremy! great job! As for the eyes, go to the Tohickon website and look up their snake eyes and find a species that matches your's the closest. Form the pics of Northern Pacifics I have their damn eyes are close to a cottonmouths! Top half gold and the bottom half dark. Guess what! nobody makes an accurate cottonmouth eye. :( I plan to get some flint eyes and paint my own when I do some more NP's. ;)

[​IMG]
    photo taken by Dean Bright

6. jeremy

Ahhhh come on you guys are being to nice :). What can I improve on?

Perry I tried www.tohikonglasseyes.com and the web site is unavailable. Do you have a link?

7. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

They must have got mad at Voyer the other day and shut their site down? ;D :D That's the right web address. :(

8. Barry

Barry Active Member

Nice Work Jeremy Looks fantastic

9. fishmedic

fishmedic R.I.P. Alli !

Looks great! ;)

10. Jeremy, Your snake looks great. As for a critique, the head dose look good but for improvements the jowls could be a bit fuller. Your snake is a younger animal than the one in the photos and will not be as plump but remember when you cast a snake it is dead and there for deflated a bit and dose not have the mussel tone of a live snake. It is hard to tell from you photos but the back of the head may need to be a little wider. The neck right behind the head may be just slightly full, it can very depending on the position of the snake but the sides should be a bit flat. Just watch that you don't use too much clay to blend the head and neck junction. The eye is a hard one to get perfect, yours is too round. The ocular scale on top of the head should come out over the eye a little and give the eye a more flat look on top. Study casts are good but you can not beet good close up photos and better yet look at the live snake, right now I have 20 rattlesnakes. Keep up the good work, the more you do you will know what to look for.
    Great job, Dean

11. More photos

12. Younger snake

13. jeremy

Great info Dean, thankyou. Now that I'm looking more at those pics, I'm really not happy with the eye color. I was freaking out a bit with the neck because it was extremely stretched out initially and I thought I had ruined it. I mean it was sagging and I did not stretch over the head but I kept taxing it and back filled it with some caulk, like a hide paste it went into place for the most part. The eye shape with that shield was hard for me so I will keep at it. Thanks for the critique

14. Jeremy, The neck skin is very thin and stretches allot making it hard to work with but use some hide past like you said to hold the skin in place and you can stack the scales back into place. Dean