1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wildlife Gallery Tanning smell

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by R.J. Meyer II, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I don't think disliking the smell is just in the customer's heads. I have a wolf that smells so funky that when I first got it, it permeated my entire house. Its calmed down but its definitely still there. The smell also transfers to anything it touches. This includes other mounts, as well as fabric. I also have 3 foxes- one tanned by WLG, the others were not. The ones that were not smell clean and fresh, the WLG is unpleasant. Its much more tolerable and not nearly as ripe as the wolf, but its there. Same problem with smell transfer if it comes into contact with other items as well. As someone who has a house bursting from wall to wall with taxidermy, its definitely not an issue of associating the smell with "death", at least not in my case. I do think WLG has a bit of a rotten smell- at least the mounts I have. I have heard a lot of "play dough" comparisons, but for me its way beyond that. When I hear people say they think it smells good or they don't notice any smell, I feel like they just must not have as an acute sense of smell as me. Which I envy!! I do have a very sensitive sense of smell and trust me- not always a good thing!!! :)

So unfortunately of all my mammal mounts, the only two that smell are the ones tanned at WLG, but the pelts look great! Perhaps the wolf fur is just too dense, because as I said, the fox is much less offensive. I deal with it though, because the mounts are so pretty. I have thought to try the Febreeze but I have the same fear as the poster mentioned... sometimes I feel like that just makes things smell worse.

One person suggested a combo of cinnamon and baby powder to me. Anyone ever tried that? Sounded fairly reasonable to me. Wasn't sure if the powder would be too drying on the leather though?

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

You dug this post from almost 7 years ago. A lot of things changed since then, some better some worse at times. If your tanned pieces were recent, use someone else if the smell is bad , its all in the oil they use that causes any smells.

3. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Maybe it was dug up for a good reason… The smell of their tan sucks. Many a taxidermist think so, and many a client… Truth. If that hurt your feelings I'm sorry....

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Used them once 6 years ago, gave them a shot, tore up a cape and had no replacement, so no more work that way, so no feelings hurt here.

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Note to women: If you want to attract a man wear essence of WLG. In a pinch bacon grease is also quite affective.

6. Whether I tan in house or send it out I will wash the fur real well with Pert Plus. It takes most of the chemical smell away, cuts any remaining oil in the fur, puts a little more stretch in the hide, and gives the fur a real nice shine to it. To some it may seem un-needed, and it may be, but I get many comments on the look and smell of the finished product and it really helps with the furbearers "fluff" when I blow dry. I like WLG's tanning smell as well, but I gotta go with what my customers like! 8)

7. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Just curious, when u wash ur capes are u just lathering up the hair side by hand and rinsing with say a hose, or are you submerging in a bucket or something to wash/rinse. I guess wondering how "wet" you are getting the cape?

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

It doesn't matter JEJ, your going to have to get the excess water off before mounting with towels, washer spin or tumble, either way. I just run hide under faucet, lather up then rinse off.

9. Quit using WG and started using H&H tannery ,nice floral smell to there skins , all my other tanneries if needed gets a wash in Pro-1's no rinse wash

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire