1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

black coyote

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by snowman623, Sep 12, 2008.

1. snowman623

snowman623 Member

Just wanted to share this picture of a coyote I shot last winter. It has some unusual coloration. It's similar to a fox. Could it be a cross? Anyone seen one like this?

2. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

I can't comment on it being a cross, I have no idea if that's possible. But it is a really beautiful yote. Coydog maybe?

3. muleyhunter

muleyhunter Soulmates, Gods way of saying together forever

I think Nina nailed it. Coydog.

4. coyotes never cross with a fox. never! ive learn from my neighbor and dad
    coyotes will eat foxes but not breed with them

5. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

wanna sell it?

6. snowman623

snowman623 Member

Not for sale. It's tanned and ready for my first full body coyote mount, if I ever get time.

7. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Colored like a silver fox, should be an impressive mount.

8. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Some normal colored coyotes have white tipped tails... and there are black phase coyotes, so I dont see why it couldnt happen that a black would have a white tipped tail...

9. ShawnK

ShawnK Don't take criticism to heart, it's a free lesson

thats a beautiful coyote

10. I have seen two real dark coyotes on one of my father-in-laws pieces of land. Never looked at the tail. Never got a shot or Id have pics for you. I think they are awesome! I am going to try again this year. Put some pics up when your done.

11. I just did one like that , except no white in the tail . The rest was the same . did a standing/ open mouth from mckenzie. got good $$$$$$ for the job the customer justed loved it. mark c

12. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

I've seen pictures of several,marked just like yours,from PA,NY,KY and the Midwest.it is just a black phased Eastern coyote.Not common,for sure but when someone gets one,the pictures come out.there are a lot of other color variations in the East,like red,blonde etc..You won't see that in Western coyotes.Very beautiful.

13. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Black yotes are becoming more common here in Georgia. I handle several every year. Common traits they have are a white blaze on their chest and some white toes, also about half I have gotten have a white tip on their tail.

These are not coy-dogs but melanistic coyotes. If you look at the hair in the sunlight you can see the different colors of the hair under the black.

Kevin, I have a nice black yote in the freezer I would sell if you are interested I would like $200 for it.

Mike

14. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

Would be interesting if as taxidermist we could find an affordable and efficient way of having DNA samples of our odd specimans tested and put in a data bank in order to learn how these critters actually came to be. Black coyotes, fanged whitetails, 100 pound Maine "coyotes",etc-------gonna talk to a local biologist to see what the deal is about the latest in Critter DNA testing

15. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

hookjaw , that would be nice !

16. SQUIBBEY

SQUIBBEY MOREHOUSE, VOL. FIREMEN ADK.MT OF N.Y

nice yote