1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tanning velvet

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Norste, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Norste

Norste New Member

Which velvet tan would be the best to use? The bone is hard and it seems that all the blood is out of the antlers. It seems that there are quite a few velvet tans out there so any help would be great.

2. Norste

Norste New Member

Any ideas, what about Knoblock's velvet tan from Mckenzie?

3. unlucky

unlucky New Member

Good question. i got velvet tan from van dyke's and read the instructions but cannot find the blood vessels they said to inject at the base of the horns. i just read previous to your post that just freezing them would work if the horns were solid underneath.

4. hunte567

hunte567 Member

Norste, take some denatured alcohol and spray it on the velvet (really soak them). Then take mule team borax and cake it on the antlers. I mean really cake it. Make it look like snow packed antlers. We leave them like that for months. Then when its time just brush them off and blow them out. We've never had a problem. We inject first but when they are hard horned bipass the injection process. Hope this helps, Neil

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

Antler tan will work if they are hard antlered, I have used it with great results. After the tan has dried for a few days, you can wash and blowdry the velvet to fluff up again. Good luck

6. Norste

Norste New Member

Thanks for the help, I ordered the Knobloch's and from the sound of it, it should do the trick.