1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Not a good sign

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by redwolf, Sep 16, 2008.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I had a guy call about 2 pronghorns Monday morning and asked a price for a standard shoulder mount, I quoted him $1050 for both...there was a long silence & he said "that's kinda steep isn't it, I was thinking they would be more around $350 or something" I replied "not for my time" he dickered around for a second and asked if I could do better on the price & I said "no, I have a lot of time in them and have to make a living" He said he'd think about it and I never heard from him again. I'm sure somebody has them in their shop now doing them for $350...they can have them. Yesterday I got a call on 2 Axis shoulder mounts, one hard horned & one in the harder stages of velvet. I quoted him $1200 for both of them. They are turned & salted right now laying in the other building & the velvet is treated & drying as we speak. Cost me maybe $5 in supplies and 1 hour to treat the velvet, that was $150 of the $1200 I charged them.

I said all that to say this, there are always going to be those that can afford you and those that can't. There are always people in the same business that do better than others. There is a guy here in town that also does full time Taxidermy & he is going out of business, he couldn't even afford to get a deer mounted for $350 if he had to. On the other hand, I am doing very well in business, but am not the best business man, I make good money, but am none the wise with it :) Then you take Gary (gab) IMO he is a very good business man & runs his business a lot better than mine & does a better job at making money consistently. Right there you have 3 Taxidermist's in three different catagories when it comes to how well they are doing.

Redwolf, if a man can't afford you & you are the cheapest in town I would not use him as an example that the sky is falling. EVERYTHING has a cycle, this is not Alice In Wonderland & not everything is beautiful all of the time. Everything is going to nbe fine, you just have to let it cycle :)

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Yep My point exactly... if they want it bad enough... they will have it done...

And yes we are being raped... 4.29 a galling and that is DOWN from over 5.00 a gallon.. My truck holds 36 gallons, not counting the jump tank. I have two teenagers who seem to think taxidermist means taxi.. Got the same first 4 letters anyhow LOL..I have 250 miles already on this tank and its only thursday ... By Mnday Id probably be out since I have to run to the city for groceries.. UGH..

3. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I believe a lot of price calls are from people that have NO intention of getting anything mounted. Their just curious about what it would cost IF they could afford it & IF they wanted a mount. When my prices were half of what they are today it was the same story. Its just a fact of life in this business if your phone # is listed.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Business is very slow for me right now. I do have some sheep coming from out west, but locally it has just been an occasional fish coming in. To be honest, I have enjoyed doing lots of my own stuff lately. I do wish I could unload lots of completed items..people are just slow about picking up their mounts.

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

We had a deer that slipped through the cracks & got mounted without any deposit money. It wasnt a huge trophy & I wondered if we were gonna eat it. Guy came in 2 days ago with 535. cash & picked it up. WHEW.

6. your so rite about the economy ... there are a lot of folks hurting . Im just going to hangon keep my prices high and not get into the discount mess . There is no majic button that we can push to make it better. But the good side is that if the rich can figure out who is buttering there bread than maybe the weilth will be sread out better. the assholes that have been rapping our country are now being humbled.... I hope that every one here makes it good luck to you all mark c

7. WRBH

WRBH My 10pt

The Economy is like an ocean, it comes and goes in waves. Yea we are seeing tough times now, between gas prices and the increase there is on everything as a result, is tough here as well. But this is happening after years and years of the economy having record highs, and it can't always be going up. Just like ever other time, it will pick up again. Keep in mind, during the depression there were business men jumping out of windows and killing themelves because they were sure it would never get any better, and yet we survived and are stronger then ever. Everyone needs to just buck up, hold on and get thru this, and things will go back to normal, or we will find a way to adjust, we always do. I look at it this way, so the economy bubble burst, all bubbles burst after a while,no matter how long we try to make it last. Now it's just a matter of blowing up a new bubble.
    Oh, and before anyone says anything about how it must not be affecting us here much for me to still be optimistic, the money I had to live on for the entire month was gone as of Sept 8th, so I'm not sitting here living the high life and being a hypocrite.

8. michael p.

The guy that called last Monday about those 2 Antelope just called again, he went & looked around & talked to some different people and has decided that even though my prices are $175 more each than 2 of my other competitors, he feels more secure in paying that based on what he saw & has heard about my work :) Whoo-Hoo, let's make some more money ;D LOL

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

SHOW OFF ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

10. michael p.

No i'm not!! ;D
    [​IMG]