1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bleach a skunk

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by wttail, Sep 17, 2008.

1. wttail

wttail New Member

mounted my first skunk for a friend. He was road kill but had a lot of white, so the guy picked him up and I told him I'd take a stab.

found the 3% peroxide / baking soda / dish detergent trick on here...worked great! Thanks to all who don't mind sharing!

He is drying now and I'm happy with the way he looks but my friend (who hasn't seen it yet) said he wanted it white as white can be. Asked if I could turn it completly white ? don't really want to but told him i'd see.

the tail is salt and pepper other than that the lines between black and white are well defined.

tried the XL stuff...took alll night to get it out...saw in the archives later...lesson learned.

Reading the archives and still confused..

Was thinking there should some kind of salon product that would work but would really like to hear from some experienced taxidermist.

thanks for any tips

2. Lenny

Lenny New Member

Can you post a pitcure? I would like to see it.

3. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Just my own guessing here...but could you put Volume 40 on the stripes? I would get it wet, comb the black hair to one side, put the white together, and then put the volume 40 on it, combing through. Don't leave it on long, and when you rinse it out, quicker would be better so it won't lighten the black...but I bet it'd work. I've only been doing this a little bit though and I bet other folks'll have a different idea. ;) Good luck!

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Skunks are not naturally bright white ... where they are white. Most have a light yellowish off color to them. Some can be golden colored. Keep that in mind too. :)

5. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA
    We had a skunk that had a bad yellow tinge to his stripes. Using foils to protect the black hair, we have him a highlight job using 40 vol peroxide mixed with clairol white. He had sparkly white stripes after just a minute. Make sure not to let it sit too long and rinse very well when your done. If you get any on the black hairs, they will turn carrot orange so beware! My hairdresser is still laughing about our experiments in skunk cosmetology ;)

6. wttail

wttail New Member

Bahahah ...thanks guys!

Had to laugh Rebecca...I stopped into a hair solon supplier last night and got some rather odd looks!

she told me the same...basic white and Vol 40.

I know Sea Wolf I'm a little reluctant to do it ..maybe i'll try a little spot and see what happens.

If I get brave enough I'll stick a pic up....I'm afaid you guys might talk me into quiting and I'm having too much fun right now! LOL

THanks ALL!