1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pressure Washer Fleshing - my method

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by GravityKills, Sep 17, 2008.

1. strutnbuck

strutnbuck New Member

Do you use the pressure washer around the eyes, nose, and mouth? If so do you turn them first? Nice post!

2. I usually get close the the face areas, open areas. I stay away from eyes and lips and do them by hand. I have turned lips, eyes and ears of small critters, completely detailed the face and ears of several otters. But generally, no, stay away from detail areas. Too risky of ear blow out and ripping eyes and lips.

3. J_Guid

J_Guid New Member

We use a turbo tip on our pressure washer and you don't get really get wet, and it also seems to go alot faster.

4. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

That must be a magic turbo tip. I have a turbo tip and still get soaked.

5. J_Guid

J_Guid New Member

I stretch the hide over a fleshing beam, and with the wind to my back, blast away. No magic, just a turbo tip from Lowe's. ???

6. Coonhunter08

Coonhunter08 New Member

Can you use pressue washer fleshing on hides such as coon, fox, and coyote?

7. Great method!! Going to use this idea on my first try at an axis hide throw rug.

8. I have used this method on things as small and thin as jackrabbits.

9. stormyskull

stormyskull New Member

Curious to see how your deer turned out using the DP instead of the krowtan or something like that? Will the mount last as long just using DP compared to tanning?

10. Newmarx

Newmarx Nice Rainbow Rich!!

Thanks for the really great tip!

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Just a caution to some of you. IF you live in a close neighborhood, you may want to build a 3 sided backboard blind before you start. The meat, fat, and tissue come flying off that hide and they go all over the place. Your neighbors might not be too impressed with a chunk of fat hanging from their azaleas. There's also the smell of decaying flesh to deal with. If that crap gets into your lawn, picking it out of the grass won't be a holiday.

12. I've been following Amy Richey's "How to tan step by step! Beginners, this is what you need!" method. My axis hide is now sitting in the pickle and this afternoon will have to be shaven. How long should I let the cape hang/dry before I start shaving. I'm pretty certain that you don't immediately pull the hide out of the bath and throw across a fleshing beam. It seems like it would be pretty hard to shave a wet hide. I've read through numerous threads about this and heard around 1 hour of drying time inbetween the pickle and shaving. Is this about right? Any comments and tips would be appreciated. ;D
    Ryan

13. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Run it through a spin cycle in a washing machine to dry it.

14. Great idea if my wife would let me do this in our brand new washing machine. I'll take it to a washateria.

15. I have a stack of old shop towels (old bath towels) that I don't mind getting some pickle on. Just "lightly" squeeze the excess off (have your rubber gloves on) and put the hide on the towels, pat dry and start shaving... when done back in the pickle.

16. Oh, and heed George's warning. I do this in my driveway occasionally and I collect all the big tissue but for days after have the dry grease smell as oil/grease residue bakes in the sun. I could probably spend some money on a cleaner to deal with it, but the economy sucks, I'm a part time taxi and I don't like my neighbor! :D

17. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

I have a clean up crew where I live. They're ready to get down to business before I barely get started! I love this picture of our dog "Buddy". ;D
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to Richard Noles (whom I met through this forum) I believed him and followed his advice. The guy rocks for sure and gave sound advice, IMO. I'm no taxidermist..just like to braintan hides. Richard Noles suggested that the 3500psi belt drive powerwasher would serve the need I felt I had for one. I know that I'd have NEVER been able to flesh this little bison skin without it. With it, it twer NO PROBLEM. Dang! The other two I have are pretty cool too. 1650 and 2400 It's how I started using the washers on the skins.. this last washer just rounds things out rather well. If you can turn them down to handle thin skins and up to handle tough bison skins well that is just a REAL PLUS and saves on O'rings and seals!
    [​IMG]
    Does a super job on the raccoons too.
    [​IMG]

18. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

awesome job, about how long does this process take on a deer cape

19. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

I fleshed the deerskin in ten minutes.
    The coons maybe a half an hour.. those still required having the ears done and also the faces however when I did that the coons had been washed and blow dried with my shop vac so it was much more enjoyable working on a much cleaner animal. They are SO DIRTY.

20. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Great tutorial Gravity!!! Thanks for posting.

msbraintan...you are correct about Richard Noles...he is a great authority on pressure washing. Anyone who can attend one of his seminars will learn loads of info on using a pressure washer. He did a deer and turkey last summer at NTA. I have been pressure washing for years, but went to the seminar just out of curiosity. I left there with a handout and tons of useful tips. Thanks Richard!!!

Later, I will post a picture of the type trigger handle he recommends...it works great.