1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pressure Washer Fleshing - my method

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by GravityKills, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

Hey Gravity, Don't mean to be an Old Hen about this but hey put some boots on your hide is way thinner then that deer hide. Holding the hide with a sandel foot will put yuou in the ER with a huge cut in the top of your foot and Stop Rot won't fix a defleshed toe. Just noticed it in your forth Picture. I agree Pressure washers are awesome but not at the risk of blowing a hole in yoorself.

Just thought I would mention it.

Great tutorial though BTW

Jeff

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Good advice Sarge. I was holding a cape tout while pressure washing and hit my thumb one day last week... I was wearing surgical gloves...the water decimated the glove. My thumb hurt so bad I almost passed out. 3100psi and a turbo nozzle is not a toy...it took a couple of hours for the numbness to leave my thumb. Richard Noles told us to wear HEAVY rubber gloves. I now own a pair. My thumb was within inches of the nozzle...it's a wonder that I didn't skin it.

3. As I have stated on this forum before,,if they call joey logano....sliced bread,,,,then ,,,I am calling my pressure washer joey logano..lol..great job..Gravity.. 8) 8)

4. Mark P.

Mark P. "Work is for people who don't know how to fish"

This might sound like a dumb question but, could one pressure wash hides and then put them on stretchers for the fur market? Just curious. I'm a trapper and I've never put up pelts, I usually sell green. Thought maybe this might work??
    Thanks,
    Mark

5. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

Can't see why it wouldn't work for you. Sure beats scraping

6. so do you spray, then tan, then shave????

7. jward

jward First with a bow

I assume you use straight cold water and its a big no no to use warm water on the hide.

8. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

Anything in moderation usually works for me ;)

9. jward

jward First with a bow

I would think that the warmer water would help with degreasing,

10. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

Only with a commercial degreaser most likely. I wouldn't know.. but what I do know is that my cold water pw'r rocks really well at removing the greases from hides and skins.. now to just have all your taxi chemicals! May just have to dig deep to get super results.. All you need is a small powerwasher with a turbo nozzle to get rid of a lot of the greases in skins. One can't disregard all the chemicals.. there are certain things that don't come out in the wash! I might have been able to get out all the dirt on the raccoon that I washed the other night with the pw'r but I doubt that household dishsoap gets out ALL of the grease nor the washer. For the dollar commercial degreasers for hides and skins is probably more economical than using soaps designed for cleaning dishes! I guess the bottom line is.. "You either have it or you dont!" whaaa!!