1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

black bear, epidermous slip picture added

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by rossco, Sep 20, 2008.

1. I recieved a black bear back from a reputable tannery that has and still has great service. The muzzle on the bear had epidermal slip as they called it on the invoice. I don't have pictures at this time but there is a lot of hair gone from the muzzle and around the one eye. Does anyone know how I can fix this as it is for a rug and is the guys first bear. I'd like to have some suggestions for him on what we can do with it before I call him to show him what his bear looks like. I can really only think of a few ideas but am not sure how it would turn out. One is a bear rug without the head. I'd like to have options though for a rug with the head. Any ideas?

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Re: black bear, epidermous slip

Replace the head with one from a cape.

3. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

Re: black bear, epidermous slip

Since it's a rug project I'll assume this is a dry tan.( also assuming it's just the epidermal layer and not full blown hair loss) Soak up and sweat the head for mounting. If the epidermis loss you describe is just spotty then I would mount the head and spray the entire area with fungicidal sealer on the same day---let dry for 2-3weeks then blend with airbrush. If at the time of mounting it's a big area, then I would probably scrape the remaining epidermis off with a toothbrush to have a smooth foundation in order to softly blend with airbrush at the time of finishing. This is just speculation on my part since you have'nt included a photo. What you describe sounds very common---especially with a dry tan. It'll probably come out better than think--just focus on blending when it comes time to finish. Best of luck.

4. Re: black bear, epidermous slip

I wish it were just the skin but a lot of hair is gone too.

5. Anybody???

6. If you have to use that head, not much you can do except blend your paint to make it less noticable. Talk to the customer about how the bear was handled in the field and ask how quickly he got it to you. If you do any amount of hides, slippage is something you just have to deal with. Most of the time it is NOT caused by the tannery, but by how the hide was handled before it got there. I've done several bears that I thought would slip for sure and they turned out fine. But I've also done very fresh bears that slipped for no apparent reason. I use Stop-Rot on EVERYTHING now and have cut way down on problems. If you can use another head, hide the stitching as far back in the long hair as you can. Epidermal loss is common on dry tanned bears; it looks like dandruf. But if the hair is gone, too, that is slippage, and on the face there is not much you can do.

7. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

Rossco---We need a picture to give you the help you need---otherwise it's just a guessing game. Sorry---I didnt't see that you added one after your original post. That's slippage all the way. Be honest with your customer and show him the skin and let him make a decision on whether he wants you to take the project further. Offer a replacement head if he's unsure. I've found that the best way to solve these type of situations with customers is to not let the situation "stew" too long. Be honest about what he can expect in the finished mount so that there won't be any dissapointment in the end. You list yourself as a beginner, so look at the situation as a learning experience in every aspect ( hide prep, tanning problems, customer relations,etc) and stay positive. Believe me, this won't be the last problem project that occurs if you do taxidermy as a business. Best of luck---stay positive.

8. thanks guys...I was kinda figuring it was gone but there is always that chance it is not.

9. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

I THINK BILL SAID IT !

10. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

You can save it, by mounting then painting a dark brown on the slips and some hair replacement from scraps or other crafty places on the skin. Depends on how much time you want to put into it....Ive done alot worse!!!! ;)

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

I agree with RDA, I have finished alot worse as well with great results. If you can cut out some, I would and then blend some color back into the area. You will be amazed at what you can do with an airbrush. I would recommend going over it with your client so he or she is aware of the situation.