1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What kind of snake is this?

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Alicia L, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I found this little guy out behind my car in the gravel drive this afternoon. Just curious to know what kind he is...I know nothing about snakes--my philosphy has always been "the only good snake is a dead one!". ::) Sooo....if anyone can tell me, I would appreciate it. He is about 12-14 inches long and 3/8 inch in diameter, just for reference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks! :)

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Looks like a young.......

Looks like a young Prairie Kingsnake.

:)

Kerby...

3. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Could be a juvenile Eastern Milksnake. ??? Both snakes inhabit KY where Alicia is from. ;)

4. I live in Kentucky. Does that help? And I assume they aren't poisonous...how big will they get?

5. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Non poisonous, about 3 - 4 foot is an average adult snake for both species.

6. ChipD.

ChipD. New Member

Looks like an eastern milk snake to me.[​IMG]

7. Lenny

Lenny New Member

Turn him loose he's harmless.

8. My boys and I plan on taking him far away from the house tomorrow and letting him go in a large soybean field. If he was poisonous, I would chop-chop, but since he isn't he will be free tomorrow morning... ;)

9. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

I have to defer to Kerby on this one.It doesn't look quite like a milk snake to me.The saddles should be longer than the spaces between.I'm not very familiar with prairie king snakes,though I guess I've seen a few pictures.I haven't seen Kerby miss one yet.

10. Suchus

Suchus New Member

I'm not too familiar with the snakes in your area but I'm putting my money on milk snake, That characteristic "Y" at the back of the head is whats doing it for me.