1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about Fox squirrels with Black on them?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by WRBH, Sep 22, 2008.

1. WRBH

WRBH My 10pt

I asked this on the wanted board allready, but wanted to ask here as well. I was wondering if anyone here has seen, or heard of Fox squirrels with black on them. I was lucky enough to have a friend spot one in his yard. He knows I am into Taxidermy so after season opened, kept his .22 handy whenever he was home and sure enough 2 days after opening he saw it. He had already asked me best way to take care of it, so within about 5 minutes of shooting it, it was in the freezer. H brought over to me that night. Looks like a regular Fox squirrel except it's Thraot, stomach and egs, as well as part of it's head, are a real darl black. The same blacck s the color of a black squirrel. I did manage to get a pic, black doesn't show up right because of the flah, but the way it looks is incredabile. Well here it is, any help would be apprciated. Oh, by the way, we don't have any black squirrels around here at all. The guy got him for me, so I could mount him, so that is my plan. But I am waiting to mount him till after I get alot more experiance. Thanks for the sugestion.
    Oh and the squirrel isn't Prime, but he was worried if he waited, wouldn't get a chace at it later. I definatly wasn't going to complain,lol)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. well he's rare all right ... see if you can have him mounted by david ellzey...

3. michaelf

michaelf New Member

We have them like that here in AR. They are quiet common. I mounted one like that 2 years ago that I picked up in front of my dads house. He got hit crossing the road to get to his pecan trees. There is another out there now but Im going to get him later with a winter coat. They vary from partial black to solid black. It depends on the genitics in that area. I have 2 soild blacks and 1 partial black mounted now and hope to get this other partial soon. When I squirrel hunted alot I got them all the time.

4. WRBH

WRBH My 10pt

Okay thanks michael, I've lived here in AR off and on since 1995, so still getting use to the wildlife. It's different then where I grew up in Idaho and Washington state. I do think it is all in the genes in that area, like you said. Asked Ex In-Laws, that grew up here, and they had never heard of one, neiher had my best friend, and he's lived here his whole life as well. But guy that got this on for me, said they had seen another one like it years ago around there place. Thanks for the help again.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Fox squirrels get their name from their TAILS folks and not from their color. The RED fox squirrel does seem to be the dominant color above Virginia, but the southern range of the fox squirrel is a whole nuther animal. My very first fox squirrel was soot, silky black with a white muzzle, white ear tips, white feet and a white tail tip. My second one was a grizzled gray one with a black face and white ear tips. I've shot them in all colors in between. The Delmarva fox squirrel, protected and rare, is solid gray and almost looks like a chinchilla. The scientific name (Sciurus niger) tells the story of their color and they are the oldest species of squirrel dating back to the Oligacene era. They are living fossils. Perry can tell you lots of other stories I'm sure since he seems to have a passel of them down his way. I have some pictures of some I mounted 30 years or so ago around here someplace. If I can find them, I'll post them.

6. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

I have seen a few like this on our farm . This one is not as common here as some, but i have seen them.

7. thanks for explaining George. I know that the ones I have seen were black or soot gray colored.. never knew they got the name from thier tail.... go figure.

am reviewing the regs here in Fla as to them... would love to get some this season if its legal.

8. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Back when I was younger I collected older mounts I found at garage sales and auction sales and I came into posession of a squirrel mounted standing holding a walnut that looked exactly like this. I eventually passed it onto someone else. Haven't seen one like that since. I know up here in PA our fox squirrels are basically brown with orange/yellow bellies and never the black phase. I'd eventually like to get ahold of one of those black fox squirrels with the white noses for my showroom.

9. good luck with geting that squirrel amc

10. WRBH

WRBH My 10pt

Man, thought I was so excited to get this one, now I want one with a white face to :(,lol The entire time I ahve hunted here in AR (since 1995) and been in the woods have never seen any other color but the orange bellied ones, so know they are not incredably common. I wonder how the line goes, which squirrel evolved from which. Thanks George for the info, was facinating to read what you said, will give me a different outlook on that squirrel when I finally feel I am good enough to mount it.

11. i am mounting a fox squirrel right now and it looks the same as mine but with a black under side. if you want i will send you a list of the stuff i am using for mine. PN me if you want me to. that squirrel is so cool looking.
    thanks.