1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eye Question???

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by al from sc, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ;D ;D ;D..Do:es this look anywhere close to setting a striper eye ??? ??? ???..I dont use a cast head as you can see.Iam looking into it though ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

2. Hey Al heres a striper eye I did. Maybe it'll help. Cast heads on stripers are a smart move for sure. For me it would be cast the whole fish but thats just my opinion. I hate skin mounting stripers. :mad:

[​IMG]

3. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

That looks pretty good Travis and I bet you used some sort of reference in getting it that way... right...so al I would ask myself, if I were you, does it look like the photo I have to guide me.

4. Yep its all about the reference.

5. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Once again Travis, that is one excellent striper.................great reference for you too Al.

6. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

To be honest not all reference pictures are created equal. A picture of a fishes eye after he is removed from the water is not completely accurate. Reference taken through an aquarium glass or underwater is going to help more for accuracy. There will be alot of factors to deal with such as how the fishes head is turned or is it flat.

7. Brian,,it was staring me in the eyes the whole time..It nedds to have more of the eye.out on the top..went back and looked harder...thats whats its all about..dont know how I missed ,,,,,Iam going to keep my glasses.cleaned,,lol,,,

8. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Travis nice eye set, Brian why would you tell someone to use anothers work as reference.

9. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Al, good luck and B Jones, WHY NOT? Isn't that what this site is all about, helping people. I'm sure Travis posted that to help with the eye reference. In fact, I'm sure of that.
    I have studied many pictures on this site to help with my own. In particular, Rick Krane's "work in progress" Walleye helped me with the eye set on my Repro. Here's the result and ANYONE is welcome to use this as reference.

10. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Well I beleive when I was at my workshop with Rick he mentioned to me several times to use the fish and not someone elses work for reference. I never said the site was not here to help people. What ever you think is right Brian, I am not one to get in a pissing match with people. al from sc Travis's fish shows an awesome eye set that you can learn from but do yourself a favor and look at your fish photo's. It is amazing what you will see.

11. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Where did I say that was the ONLY thing to use for reference? What I stated was that (Travis's pic posted), would be A good reference, not the ONLY reference. I find it helpful to study the real thing and see how people set their eyes. In this case, like Al concluded, he could see that his eye was a little flat. This in itself, is a huge clue. Now, when he looks at his "real" reference pics, he is looking for that particular aspect. That's all I meant.
    In my repro Walleye, believe me, I had pictures clipped up everywhere but it was very helpful to see how Rick did his. So, I guess we both misunderstood each other. Don't like or want the pissing matches either.........

12. Easy fellas theres a whole lot of pissing going on here. LOL ;D Yeah that was my whole purpose for posted my pic. I wanted Al to see how Rick taught me to set eyes. I had a hell of a hard time learning to set eyes. Just ask Rick. He had to get Buddy's (his dog) ball and make me practice circular motions on it, because I sucked that bad. Finally it clicked and I felt like a dumb ass but sometimes thats what it takes to get that light bulb to go off in your head. Then its like "why didn't I do that a long time ago". Basically what we're all trying to say is STUDY REFERENCE. In whatever your doing, recreate what your looking at in your reference. Thats the biggest piece of info that has helped me more than anything.

13. Very sweet fish and eye sets to the both of you. Looks like Rick has helped us all.

14. Yes,,Brian ,,I was led to look harder,,and I did,,I am working on a couple now,,,Thanx for all the help yall... 8) 8)

15. Well said about the reference Travis,,reference,reference,,,,reference/ :) :) :) :)

16. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Todd, I think that all depends on what you're (we're) trying to depict. Are we replicating a fish in it's natural environment or are we depicting a fighting fish? With the latter a fish held out of the water with the drastic eye tilts might actually be more accurate (vs. an aquarium view) IF you're replicating a fighting fish. Granted, it helps if the fish is held with it's dorsal up as to not throw off the accuracy of the placement of both eyes (See the BreakThrough manual if you don't know what I'm talking about here). The bulk of the customers in the commercial world are looking for an aggressive pose (ie: a fighting fish). So, I think it would be perfectly fine to replicate the eyes in a fish held by hand. In fact, it may be MORE accurate for MOST customers mounts...

17. den007

den007 Active Member

Looks like a tuned-up Van Dykes eye, correct????

I have a slightly different version to post before heading north deer hunting.

Van Dyke's are not bad.....particularly the pupils. No "milky" nonsense.

What I can show .....well, you be the judge.

18. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't do the muppet mouths either and I tell my customers this. But, I think you know what I'm saying. Fish taxidermy is unique in that no other form of taxidermy (in the commercial environment) typically depicts the animal in an unnatural setting like we do manytimes with fish...

19. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I did something and accidentally deleted my last post. But I know what you are saying. I was just saying that a fish out of water is not a real depiction of a fishes eye. But for customer mounts anything goes because it is all about pleasing them.