1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

molding a 20" cutthrouat

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Nate Thompson, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Im trying my hand at molding. All I have right now is a cutthroat. I pulled it out of the freezer and it has wrinkles that dont seem to want to smooth out. Do I need to fill it with caulking or something to get it where I need it to be? Also around the tail area there are some deep wrinkles. Do I need to rehydrate that area with a needle and some water or something?

Thank you for any input.

Nate

2. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Those wrinkles can be a stickler. I like to stay away from injecting anywhere on the show side of the fish. The water and air can leak back out during the molding process. Try re hydrating by placing wet paper towels on the skin. If the wrinkles will not go away, putting the fish in a reverse curve or any curve that straightens the wrinkles out would work. Caulking may fill out the wrinkles near the vent and gut. Try to find yourself a fresh specimen if your just starting out. Panfish mold up nicely and fairly easily.

3. Fishcrzy,
    The way I see it you have 3 options:
    1. Re-hydrate the fish as Aaron mentioned. I like to soak the whole fish in a laundry tub. Cold water and see if the wrinkles will message out. If it looks moldable, then fill the abdominal area with caulk and mold with bondo/ resin or plaster. Chase the mold. Re-mold for a production mold if so desired, useing rtv or silicone etc.

2. Skin out the Cutthroat. Make a belly or Dorsal incesion when skinning. Remove the head. Mold the head complete inside and out, using a simple "cup" mold. CARVE a body. Mount the skin onto the body.Carefully repair the seam. (Fins are your call. You can remove and mold seperate or leave with the skin and mold the body and fins together.) This application is best for trout, that have been frozen, that have wrinkles, that won't hydrate out.

3. Simply Skin mount only.

That is how I would approach the job.
    Hope it helps.

4. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I did a rainbow a few weeks ago that was like that. I soaked it in ice water overnight and it filled back out nice enough...

5. Soak the entire fish in a 50/50 mixture of water and Parson's Sudsy Ammonia!
    It will not only rehydrate, the colors will perk up , too.

6. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

Ha ha- welcome to MY world- he he. It's actually nice to hear that some people on here have to mold something other than a fresh, plump, large-scaled perfect specimen- he he.
    Sudsy amonia and freezing is a great combo, but expect to carve those wrinkles out of the MOLD if you want a perfect fish. Just one tiny wrinkle of the master part gives it away as a fake! A frozen cut throat is not a great start to build your confidence, may I suggest a fresh, plump, large-scaled perfect specimen of some type to start with?