1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mounting a duck

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ShaunO31, Sep 24, 2008.

1. ShaunO31

ShaunO31 New Member

I just have a quick question, when I skin a duck do I have to keep the head or do I buy a reproduction head? I have two pen raised mallards that I am going to tackle here shortly and I was just curious as to what to do. Thank you!!!

ShaunO

2. fishmedic

fishmedic R.I.P. Alli !

That's your choice. You can use either. I prefer the repro heads. ;)

3. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

me to, no shrinking or shriveling of the bill to worry about.

4. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

I use the original Myself but you " MUST " get the eyes meat and Brains out of it and rebuild the areas with clay or epoxy sculpt.

5. ShaunO31

ShaunO31 New Member

Thank you all for your replies. I think I might go ahead and go with a repo. One more question, is there a seperate license I need to buy in order to mount water fowl? Just curious.

Thanks

ShaunO

6. coon hunter

You need a Federal Licence to receve money for mounting migratory birds along with your state license.

7. ShaunO31

ShaunO31 New Member

Coon Hunter, where do I apply for a Federal license?

ShaunO

8. coon hunter

Heres a link to who you need to contact I found your state on your profile they will fix you up.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/

9. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Yeah, from what I have read, you want to be careful with waterfowl. Make sure you keep accurate records and get that permit. If you are mounting for just yourself, I don't believe you need the permit. But others on here know much more than I do, they may be able to answer that one better. Good luck.

10. klktaxidermy

klktaxidermy New Member

I have had a federal permit for over 40 years,this permit covers all migratory birds, if you are doing them for yourself no permits are required.